• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] =^w^= The Litter Box =^w^= (a cat lovers club)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Aaaa Janna they are so precious! Is she playful? :D

Years
super late
@rika yes she is too playful. She eats anything, climbs on everything, will not leave me aloooone when i'm on the table using laptop adhfhgh

@jo omg!!! yes!

Years
I wanted to ask some questions about general cat care. This is my first cat with longer hair, and even with daily brushing I am noticing a whole lot of matted hair on poor Totoro.

I have a variety of different brushes and use some Burt's Bees cat wipes that have a collodial oat-based formula for soothing skin. They are supposed to remove dander, and I thought this would be a gentler way to help my cat clean areas he misses while self-grooming. I also sometimes sponge him of with a damp face cloth. Ocassionally he gets some baby powder too. However, all of this has been woeful insufficient for his mane of charcoal and white hair, and I feel sad finding matted clumps of hair up under his tummy.

As many dogs and cats don't want full-scale baths more than needed, I was hoping for something to help me keep my cat well-groomed at all times. Can anyone give me some tips to combat matting? Maybe a dry shampoo product you know of, a home remedy, will try anything. Come to our rescue please, kitty needs you!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I know this will suck but sometimes you may just need to brush him more than once a day. I know mine loved to be brushed and I use a wire brush and comb. I really wish I could show you because I'm horrid at explaining things...lol.

When I worked at the dog groomers when we would get a matted dog that wasn't to bad I would brush up on the mat and try to get most of it out and then take the comb through it. Its almost like brushing in the opposite direction but more of an up stroke.

I myself have never had long haired cats but sometimes I'll use a used dryer sheet to help cut down on the static in their fur and it makes them smell nice too.

Years
I'd be interested in hearing some tips myself. Lately my older gray kitty has been getting small chunks of matted fur in her armpit area, and occasionally in other places on her belly. I'm trying to keep up with brushing her as much as I can which definitely helps reduce the matted fur but there are probably other things I could be doing to help prevent it. idk? :droplet:

Years
I brush Jasper a few times a week, just because he sheds a lot, too. Luckily his hair doesn't get matted and he generally likes it. From what I've read, though, sometimes changing a cat's diet can improve its health?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
They may hate it but you may want to try getting the armpit areas shaved just to help keep the matting down.

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
Years
Name: Sawsbuck
Cat's name: Ellie
Spoiler:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Name/Nickname: Kimi
Name(s) of your cat(s): Yuna Bell
Picture(s) of your cat(s):

Spoiler:

That's like the only pic I have her on my current phone. She does have an instagram, but I haven't used it in a while. >< My cat has heterochromia btw. She has one yellow eye and one blue eye. She's also a rescue as well. If you've ever played FFX/X-2, you'll understand why we called her Yuna. :3

Last edited:
Years
R.I.P Mimi

I have always had a soft spot for feeding stray animals. When I was a kid I found an injured Siamese cat with only three legs, trying to nurse what was left of her litter. I fed her until she was big and healthy again, and called her Mimi. Her kitten Puck also grew strong and fearless.

Mimi was immediately remarkably trusting for a feral or abandoned cat. She was always peaceful and sweet. I would go so far as to say I've never met a nicer cat. She was also very pretty in spite of the injuries she suffered. She was poised and wise, and a doting, dedicated mama.

Not long after finding this cat family my mother and I had to move away to a residence that did not allow us to bring any pets. So I called up my younger cousin and gave Mimi and her kittens to her. She was 7, and super excited at the opprtunity to have pets.

I was told yesterday by my aunt that Mimi, the matriarch of their noble cat clan passed on from old age. Its been almost 15 years since I first found Mimi wandering the streets. I'm sad to see her go of course, she was such an angel. At the same time though, at least there is some comfort in the fact that her life came to a natural end and she had everything that she needed. I'm glad that she was able to have food, shelter, love, healthcare, some time with her kittens and lived out her life span.

You were wonderful to know Mimi! Everyone was charmed by you. You will be missed! Run free with my late German Shepard Shaney, and my rabbit Powderpuff in in that enchanted forest in the sky. My grandparents will be there to show you the way, pet you and feed you treats, and you can see old cat friends and family again. I love you!

Last edited:
Years
I wanted to start a conversation and see what cat breeds members consider among the most beautiful. I hope that is alright.

I think the most beautiful cat is the Russian Blue, also my favorite breed overall for her intelligence and that gentle, refined temperament she is known for.

My top 5 list would be

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Okay, it has been awhile, so let me update.

I have come here because I need some help from fellow friends of cats. I will start by telling you that I have next door neighbors who are very careless. They litter quite a bit, leaving empty soda cans in their yard that blow into ours. They play loud music. They also have pets that they let run loose in the street unattended. My neighbors play games on their iPhones as the dogs chase the mail man and use the bathroom in the yards all over our neighbors. They are not the most conscientious of people.

Anyway, for the last few months a pretty black cat also began wandering the neighborhood. He looks like a Bombay to me. My neighbors say it is their cat. They never mentioned what his name was, so I call him Salem inspired by the cat from Sabrina the teenage witch. My mother would occasionally feed him a cat treat when he wandered into our yard lost. I was a little reluctant to feed another person's cat, worrying about diet and allergies, but when my mom noticed that the cat looked really scrawny and malnourished and said that she could see his rib cage, we decided to start regularly leaving food for Salem. I don't think my neighbors are feeding him.

They also don't give him adequate shelter. We never see him go inside into their home, and there's no cat house or outdoor shelter arranged anywhere in sight for him. He just is left out in the street rain or shine. Whether the weather is dangerously hot or a bad storm nobody takes care of him. I would happily let Salem visit inside my house to protect him since they don't seem to care where he goes. But because I have pets of my own I can't let a cat I don't know come into the home as it doesn't look like my neighbors give him medical care, if they're not feeding him regularly than he probably doesn't have the vaccinations he needs, and I can't risk infecting the pets in my own house. Salem doesn't even wear a flea collar or have a license.

I was gonna build or buy a dog/ cat house, and sit it on my front porch so that he always has a place to go. It isn't my responsibility, but I just can't stand to see Salem left out in a storm.

They are bad pet owners. When the cat comes around to rub against their leg or meow to say hi they will ignore him and shoo him away annoyed. It is really so sad, especially since Salem is a sweet cat. I can walk up to him and pet him, he'll meow to me and purr, roll over on his back and rub against my leg. He has attached very fast to me.

Two days ago while my neighbors enjoyed a cook out in their yard a strange, stray appeared and attacked Salem. The neighbors took no notice. I heard the cats screeching and I ran out and parted the two. The stray cat ran off, and Salem chased after him in pursuit. I could not follow where they went.

I saw Salem again today, and the side of his face was badly swollen as if he had been punched in the jaw. I presume it came from the attack from the stray cat. I felt so bad seeing him injured, and want to take him to the veterinarian. It is infuriating that the neighbors still do nothing.
I have thought of just picking him up and taking himself to the vet, and paying whatever medical bills. I have also considered contacting animal control because I think I may be able to make a case of animal neglect/ cruelty to them.

I am at the same time hesitant to go to animal control though because the state animal control in my community euthanizes most of the animals they receive. They don't have resources to take care of all the animals and put to sleep about 70℅ of the animals they get. If nobody claims a lost pet in 72 hours(?) or adopts them from their program than they can be put down. So I am scared to take Salem there.

There are some non-profit animal shelters in my community like Aarf that are no-kill, so Salem would definitely be safe there. However, it is officially a legal issue if I remove a cat that someone else claims ownership of, only animal control can take a pet that is supposed to belong to someone on grounds of abuse. You can surrender a pet of your own that you can't take care of bring in a stray cat or dog that you found to Arf or the Humane Society, but if someone else is claiming ownership they are not supposed to be involved. That's the job of the city.

I am not sure what to do. Should I just leave it alone and try to look out for him next door as best I can? Or should I bring in animal control? I am worried he will be euthanized by animal control, but I am also worried he might be killed on the streets either hit by a car, attacked again by another animal, drink some antifreeze or some other poisonous substance of heaven knows what. I have also thought about asking my neighbors if they would be willing to sell the cat to me? They may not agree though.

What do you guys think would be best? If you have any other ideas I haven't thought of then please share.

Years
Okay maybe this is a rash suggestion, but....if they truly don't take care of that precious sweetheart at all, would they notice if you took him away as your own? I'd probably get the cat looked at by the vet and then take him if people were clearly neglecting the animal to the point where they wouldn't care or notice if he disappears. I'm so, so sorry. Reading this depresses me so much. I can always help a bit with the vet bills if you need it too. Animals don't deserve this. /:

Years
Okay maybe this is a rash suggestion, but....if they truly don't take care of that precious sweetheart at all, would they notice if you took him away as your own? I'd probably get the cat looked at by the vet and then take him if people were clearly neglecting the animal to the point where they wouldn't care or notice if he disappears. I'm so, so sorry. Reading this depresses me so much. I can always help a bit with the vet bills if you need it too. Animals don't deserve this. /:

Thank you for caring about animals Jana! It is sad to see our loving, beautiful and intelligent friends in the animal kingdom treated this way. This cat would bring a lot of people happiness. The folks next-door are not only neglecting him, but they are standing in the way of him having a good life with someone else.

The same neighbors actually had a dog that disappeared on them. I just assumed it got lost since their pets regularly run loose through the neighborhood unsupervised and havw no collars or license to identify them. The neighbors had the audacity to complain that someone had stolen the dog. Truth be told, that would be a blessing for the animal if that turned out to be the case.

Since they grumbled about their dog before, despite the poor care, I think they might strike the same attitude over the cat.

My mom has a theory that the neighbors have attracted rats because they litter so much and have clutter everywhere. She thinks they bought a cat they don't care about just to deter rodents, and want their furry alarm system around. Whatever the case, they don't deserve to have pets.

People like you who care still make a difference though. For every bad owner, there's an animal lover like Sheep. Thank you for offering help with his vet bills! That is incredibly kind, but I think I can manage, don't worry. One more mouth to feed at this point doesn't make that much difference. My hope is that I can charm the so-called "owners" into giving me the cat, or buy them off.

If they want to insist that they are the owners though I don't know what I should do. I am not even sure if I can prove Salem has been neglected now because I have been caretaking him and his health has improved. It is a sticky situation.

Years
Gah that's so sad. I don't even know what else to say, because like you I'm stumped. Maybe a community dedicated to cats with many people who have experience in animal neglect and fostering can help, like TheCatSite? Anything to get that poor boy away from these rough conditions. D:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'm sure if you contact some kind of vet or rescue agency you can get help for that precious baby. It sounds like it could really use a good forever home. <3 I wish I could take it in.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I've met some wonderful cats lately!! An acquaitance has two Sibirian kittens 😍 they're silky fluffy and super playful.

I've considered getting a Devon or Cornish Rex next time I'm getting a cat (which likely won't be for a loooong time). I don't know how easy they are to find in my country though. But supposedly they don't leave much hair xD which would be oh so nice...

Years
I normally have my cat's litter shipped to me monthly, along with his pet food and other goodies. My order will not be arriving on time this month because of the pandemic, it's coming a few days later, which is understandable. My cat ran out of litter yesterday, but I have been nervous about going into stores because of the risk of COVID19. There are cases of the virus in my town, and I try to avoid areas with large crowds to reduce the chances of it being transmitted. I am having as much delivered to my door as I can right now. I found some instructions online to make homemade cat litter that is free and environmentally friendly. I just need baking soda, dish soap and a newspaper, all of which I have. I am shredding up the paper and giving this stuff a try until my pet products arrive this weekend hopefully. If it's any good I will share the the tip here. Maybe something nice will come out of a difficult time.

Take care everyone.

Back