• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Wallace or Steven?

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
Years
These two guys were both champion in Hoenn.Both were good.Their designs were great and both have a good background.Steven was the champ in RS versions meanwhile Wallace is the champ in E version.

I wanna hear it to you guys.Who is tougher and greater?Is it Steven or Wallace?I mean both are good but I wanna hear it to someone's opinion to clarify my choice.

Sorry for my English!!
{XD}

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 10, 2020
Wow, I don't know about the others, but this was too much of a detailed question for me.

I knew nothing about them until I read your post and researched them on bulbapedia.

Wallace also happnes to be the champion of The Elite Four... But, Steven is not that strong...

So, I would say that Wallace is tougher and greater, but I'm not sure...

(P.S., and don't say sorry, your English was fine man, don't worry :) )

And thank you for the question! I feel like my brain received a good boost and that makes me feel good. I'll be looking forward to your threads and posts!

Thank you.. : )

Years
Steven posed more of a challenge to me with his team's secondary types, but in terms of who I love more personally it has to be Wallace because he uses my fave type aka Water.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
I would have to say Steven. He was a little more challenging than Wallace.

TheflamingToad

ToadMan
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 7, 2016
I've never had a problem with Champion Steven, but Champion Wallace was one of the trickiest people to battle for me in emerald. His Milotic is what always have me the greatest trouble.

Now that isn't saying Steven didn't give me problems, but he never gave me as many problems as Wallce.

Now the Steven battle in Emerald is a completely different matter, but that isn't what this thread is all about ??????

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
Years
Steven for sure! I like Wallace, just not as a champion. As others mentioned, he posed more of a challenge. His team had more diversity than Wallace's, in my opinion. I just think he's more..."champion-esque".

Yeah I agree.In my battle with Steven in Emerald was harder than my battle with Wallace in Hoenn Pokemon League.But both are tough though but Steven forced me to use a lot of Revives and Max Potions because my Team that time were under 10 levels from Steven's team.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
Ah, man, this is a toughie for me. Emerald was my first game, and I never owned Ruby or Sapphire. I don't think I had a strong opinion one way or the other about either of them back then, and I don't even remember knowing that Steven was the champion in the other games.

Through playing Alpha Sapphire, though, what with the amazing redesigns, the 3D character models, and the cinematic cutscenes, I've come to really like Steven as a character. It sort of helped that RS/ORAS had such a big emphasis on him in the story, and yeah, it was an odd, different experience not having Wallace as the champion, but from going through AS' story and seeing Steven every so often, it felt very fitting and satisfying to fight him as the Champion. I really love his dialogue and personality; he's become one of my favorite Pokémon characters. I also really love how they took his character and role in the story from the originals and tied it in cleverly with Mega Evolution, the Mega Stones, and other things introduced in X and Y.

And yeah, it was nice to still see Wallace redesigned and also be able to battle him. I like that they gave him some backstory and lore about being a member of the ancient Sootopolitan people (I like that he has a story-centered battle outside of the Gym match, they should do that more often, gives the leaders a lot more character :D). But in the end, I'm not upset at all that it was the Wallace I remember from 10 years ago, I became very fond of Steven, and was really happy with his role in the game.

Overall, I really like both, but I like Steven more as a character, but I assume this is specifically about RSE instead of both that an ORAS, isn't it? ^^; If that is the case, then I'd say I like Wallace more, as I remember much more of him from Emerald than Steven.

Last edited:

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
I found Steven to be much more difficult than I ever found Wallace to be.

Though I care much more for Wallace as a character than I ever did Steven. The latter just seems like a champion-esque archtype to me, while Wallace had a character all his own, albeit a bit flamboyant - but that was what made me love him. I'm not a huge fan of water-types either, and I still think he made a better champion...

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 6, 2016
Hmm... This is going to be tough to answer lol. Wallace wasn't much of a challenge for me even though when I battled him my team were all fire types. He was still fun to battle against though. Steven was a little more challenging for me. I almost lost to him but somehow managed to beat him with a Pokémon that had 12 HP left lol. My team when I battled him was five levels lower than his. Anyway between Wallace and Steven I choose Steven. He's been my favorite Champion and character since generation three.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Steven is better for me due to his team and difficulty, although having Wallace as the Champion is an interesting idea.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I would definitely have to choose Steven over Wallace. Both are great and all but Steven always came off as being a Champion, had a better Champion team in my opinion, and Wallace just seemed for fitting as the Sootopolis Gym Leader, what with his history there and preferring water types to everything else. Both are knowledgeable overall, like a Champion should be but Steven seemed to show more care towards trainers in building them up and having them reach for their dreams and never let go, whether it be coordinating or one day beating him and becoming Champion. Wallace didn't really give that same vibe, ot tat he didn't care, just not as much.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
Years
Steven is my second-favorite character in any of the games (right behind Cynthia), so I definitely, 100% choose Steven. No issue with Wallace for me, really. My issue was more with the fact that Juan replaces Wallace in the Sootopolis Gym. RS league was just more satisfying with both Wallace and Steven along the way than E league was with Wallace and Juan.

Also, even though Wallace is the champion in Emerald, Steven is still the strongest trainer in the game :) I think Steven wins haha

Bloodmoon92

Banned
Years
Steven for sure!! I liked Wallace a bit, but Steven and me act similar. My personality is almost like his except him being to son of a Tech company lol. His involvement in RS/ORAS is like all of the other true Champions Blue/Lance/Cynthia/Alder-Iris/and the Gen 6 champ. I forgot her name lol. To me he is the bar none Champion Cynthia a close 2nd.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
Steven Stone every time. His design pleases me and he uses my favorite type, the Steel type. Also he's Steven Stone, only champion better than him is Cynthia in my Opinion.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Gotta choose my boy Steven. If he and Wallace ever battled, I feel like Steven would win so he would be the better champion. I always thought it was more of a challenge battling Steven with his iron and rock type Pokemon. He has more swag than Wallace too.

Years
Steven for sure. I love his character, especially with how much more fleshed out it was in ORAS, and a steel type champion is pretty unique even now. Wallace never really gave off a champion vibe to me and I never cared as much for his character while Steven was almost like the icon of gen III. ♥

Back