• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Was Platinum worth it?

MiracleNinetales

Ninja Assassin.
Years
  • It brought the dimension world, and with it Giratina and it's forms, but other than that, nothing more interesting.
    I had already owned Pearl and Diamond and completed each at least 5 times, so Platinum wasn't exactly interesting for me.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I do think that it was worth it, it was a step-up from Pearl and Diamond, having additional features and stuff. And it was a bit faster than I thought! D:

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I like platinum more so, yeah its worth it!

Got Diamond at first and then got Platinum weeks later, Im happy!

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    If you don't have DPPt, get Pt. They're all the same price anyway so why not get the one that offers the most content?
    After Crystal and Emerald I've learned to wait for the 3rd game in the series. I haven't got BW for the same reason.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • IMO, Pt gave us a lot more than DP can ever offer. We've got a longer storyline, harder experiences, the Battle Frontier, so I think Pt is really worth it.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I love Platinum more than Diamond, I just wish you could go into the entire route of the Distortion World after catching Girantina. And the new form was sweeeeeet. :(

Pingouin_7

If you don't have DPPt, get Pt. They're all the same price anyway so why not get the one that offers the most content?
    After Crystal and Emerald I've learned to wait for the 3rd game in the series. I haven't got BW for the same reason.

But what if they don't release a 3rd version?
    You'd end up having missed every event.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    EVERYTHING was so much better. The game was a little faster, it had an actual storyline, a cool Distortion World, as well as a Battle Frontier. That, in my opinion, is worth it.

Pretty much this. That and the expanded Sinnoh Pokedex was nice so I could use a Houndoom instead of Rapidash for example thanks to that not to mention getting both Dialga and Palkia was pretty sweet too, the E4 and Gym Leader rematches were also very solid along with the improved Battle Frontier and rival battles. There were a few nitpicks like Giratina, Heatran, and Regigigas not being as high leveled as they first were but I can see why Giratina would be 23 levels lower due to it taking the place of Dialga and Palkia as the mascot legendary, Heatran and Regigigas however I did not understand why they were leveled down so severely especially Regigigas but on the plus side they would be easier to EV train in exchange so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at first glance. Oh and the legendary bird trio being available after beating Cynthia too was also a huge plus for me. Only few nitpicks were exclusives like Skuntank and Mismagius not being available too but personally the improvements of the game overall in comparison to Diamond and Pearl far outweigh losing a few exclusives not to mention they weren't that strong to begin with IMO unless you count Mismagius which isn't too bad unless you have something along the lines of a Gengar already.

And the sprites were a lot cooler too IMO, especially Infernape's and Garchomp's new sprite. Weavile's new sprite was probably my personal favorite though.

/minirant on why I loved Platinum so much.

Last edited:

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
    Years
  • It was pretty much the same thing. Just the gym places had more 'puzzles' and it just added bonus stuff like the Distortion World.. overall I liked this version better

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • It's very worth it. Not to me though, since before I got Platinum, I played Pearl a plethora of times. It became boring by the time I was supposed to go the the Pastoria Gym.

But if I never played Pearl that much it would've been a fun new experience, with new Pokemon, better NPCs, the Battle Frontier and much more such as the Elite 4 Rematch and the Gym Leader Rematch.

EDIT: Legendary Birds

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Well I just bought it today and so far its been definitely worth it! :3 The graphics are better, better sprites, faster gameplay, Dawn's winter outfit and more choice of Pokés [in my opinion, though I can't get Murkrow :<] and also can't wait to visit the Distortion world :P

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • I personally think it was very worth it. Updated graphics, outfits, features, and even some more Pokemon were made available. Definitely worth it, and had much better / faster gameplay than D/P.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    Even after playing both diamond and pearl. Platinum was definately worth it to me. All the Pokemon and a few new areas :)

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • Platinum really changed my ways of battling, especially when i went against a Frontier Brain for the very first time in my life in Pokemon gaming and actually beat them. It was REALLY worth it!

socialydead

The Real Metal Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2012
    Platinum looks amazing i just picked it up yesterday but am not gona be playing it till i finish my ss game :P

Back