• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Watch Out For Ghosts... (Read first post!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years

The only thing I really absolutely can't stand about Pokemon fans is when there's a "pokemon anime vs the manga" arguement and they only refer to "the Manga" as Adventures, even thiugh there are others. Everyone just bashes on the anime, saying it's too childish and such. And when someone tries to defend the anime, a lot of people suddenly tell them that it's stupid and "the manga"(once again just Adventures) is superior. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but sheesh don't bash others. >.>
    The games aren't even brought up in that talk either. It's always game vs game or no talk of the games at all. But I did see one thread on PC about AnimevAdventuresvGames.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years

Wow, so I'm finally finished with exams and I missed yet another giant debate overnight. Regarding XY's plot twists, I agree that they were handled really well, and I'll definitely be missing Ash's Goodra. I also think there's a decent chance that this might be Ash's last series as well, but I'd say this "decent chance" is more of a 40/60, which, while far from being predictable, still holds as a tangible idea.

And regarding Misty and Brock, I understand your sentiment for liking them, but it would make no sense to re-throne them as main characters, and it would even take incredibly awful writing to do so. Both characters were already developed to the very end, especially Brock who found his own dreams now, so they would have no reason to ditch their plotlines to start traveling with Ash again. As for Iris, she was only like that at the beginning of the series (and was still tolerable regardless), but she actually cools down and gets some more development as the series progresses.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today

Did Jessie and James get any character development as of the latest seasons? I remember in one of the first seasons there were a couple instances where their past was touched for a little bit, but when I last watched one of the XY series episodes, they just didn't feel too different in terms of character development.

Meadow

Years

Did Jessie and James get any character development as of the latest seasons? I remember in one of the first seasons there were a couple instances where their past was touched for a little bit, but when I last watched one of the XY series episodes, they just didn't feel too different in terms of character development.

Surprisingly, yes. While it's inevitable that they'll always revert to their one-sided mindset, Team Rocket did in fact receive a couple of character development episodes in XY. I won't spoil it, but I'll leave the links to the episode summaries if you're interested in checking them out.

This episode focuses on James's bond with Inkay, as well as their development as partners:
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/XY054

And this episode focuses on Team Rocket's bond as a whole, and this one was definitely the most surprising of the two:
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/XY063

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years

Sheesh the anime TR trio are the only Rockets I like. Other than Special!Giovanni but even then hems just....
    Someone once said that James is a better trainer then Ash, because he asks his Pokemon to join and if he thinks it's better for them to stay behidn then he tells them to go, even if it hurts him. But Imm pretty Ash does that too. -w-
    But I really do love those fools sometimes, and the BW Arc really messed them up for me(at leat until the second half with N and they were funny again). I almost cried when I saw Wobbufett too. contrary to belief I do not cry that much XD

Meadow

Years

Objective writing-wise, BW Team Rocket was arguably one of the best things that could ever happen to the Pokémon anime, which counts towards a huge plus for the Best Wishes series. Unfortunately, the writers didn't even like their own idea, so...

Years

Imho, Team Rocket IS the best thing that happened to Pokemon anime. I could actually write a huge post about them but I'll keep it short for now and just say that they are the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Pokemon anime.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I think what threw the writers off was the episodes that ended up being canceled. For a good chunk of episodes things were building up to something with Team Plasma but because of a natural disaster the episodes never aired and kinda threw BW off as a whole.

Years

I imagined how heavily anticipated that event was, but then the earthquake and nuclear disaster happened and the writers didn't want to hurt those who were going through tragedy and that's what caused Best Wishes to become the garbage saga it ended up turning out as.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today

Sometimes I like to imagine that TR are actually the protagonists and Ash is the evildoer. Both factions have their own motivation for what they do (Ash wanting to be the very best and TR wanting attention of their boss and a better life), but ultimately while Ash seems to get everything for free, not having to do anything, but letting Pikachu zap TR into heaven once in a while, TR has to work hard and earn their money they use to finance their plans (which also means that they have to starve a lot during their jorney).

I know it's probably to teach kids that you get good things when you're morally good and bad things if you try to steal, but the mere fact, that TR is putting so much work into their dreams makes it hard to not see them as the protagonists, sometimes.

Meadow

Years

While that lousy earthquake did permanently alter the direction of the BW anime, I still don't necessarily regard it as garbage. The only "garbage" part about it was Decolora Adventure, and even that was only 19 episodes. As for Episode N and the Unova League, I'd say those were "hit-or-miss" depending on the viewer.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Oh, I never said that BW was bad! I love BW (and I know that people associate BW!Ash with me more than anything)! But it definitely had its flaws when it comes to a few things that caused people to not really like it. And while I do understand some of these others are just them complaining about things that I personally don't agree are flaws more people misinterpreting it. If it wasn't for BW though it wouldn't have gotten back into the anime so it has special place in my heart. ♥

In my opinion the Unova League was rather terrible. The only decent battle that came from it was Ash's battle with Stephan. I would have probably liked Ash's and Cameron's battle more if I liked Cameron more as a character and he seemed more like a character that would beat Ash. :/ Delacora was all right. I did really like the episodes that centered around Cilan because let's face it he never really got anything so the episodes that were centered around him were a treat to see. Especially the ones with Purrloin. :B

Meadow

Years

Yep, while BW did have its flaws (as do the other series), I felt that it definitely made up for those flaws in both unique and overlooked ways. As for the Unova League, I agree that Ash vs Stephan was the most worthwhile battle out there, but the only inherently "bad" thing about the league was Ash vs Trip. I don't regard Cameron defeating Ash as a bad thing considering we had to accept the fact that Ash was reset in BW anyways, but that battle was still pretty intense nonetheless.

Also, I noticed that tons of people dislike Cameron for some apparent reason. By any chance, did the dub butcher his character? I only watched it subbed, and I honestly didn't find anything about him particularly annoying,

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I also watched BW subbed and I just... didn't like his character. He was definitely a gimmick with his Lucario and I just didn't like how airheaded he was. It was cute at first but idk eventually it just rubbed me the wrong way. And I mean, Ash was pretty bad at times in BW but to make it so he lost to someone like that almost felt downright insulting to me? I'm not sure how to really explain it. I still wish that Ash lost to the eeveelution guy than Cameron.

Either way, the Unova League definitely fell short in comparison to the Sinnoh league. Hopefully the Kalos league turns out to be far better even though he doesn't have a rival in Kalos.

Meadow

Years

Hmm, I could see why you felt that way, but I think the writers were intending something else. Maybe they just wanted Ash to lose to someone who had an incredibly strong bond with their Pokémon, rather than to someone who was simply just powerful. I agree that Virgil would've been a perfect candidate to defeat Ash, but I also strongly believe that the writers were aiming to depict some form of symbolism by holding "personality mirror match" between Ash and Cameron.

But yeah, "fell short" is the term I'm looking for. It wasn't as good as most leagues, but my definition of "inherently bad" would be Ash vs Ritchie.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Mmm... if that was the case I feel like they could have pulled it off better. :/ They definitely pulled the whole bonding thing off well with Korrina so they could have definitely done it with Cameron if they were going for the same thing?? idk Cameron really just didn't click with me at all compared to the other rivals in BW.

hahahah Ash vs Ritchie yeaaaah. I did like Ritchie as a rival though and I loved it when he came back in Johto.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years

Ritchie had a great character, but he is sadly one of the many Pikachu vs. Pikachu or Pikachu vs. Raichu battles. Those episodes contained really wise words (from Oak I think): "If you lose, you can always be happy your friend has won."

Years

I rewatched those Indigo League episodes on one of those anime streaming services a while back, and seriously the way how Ash had a Pokemon eliminated solely due to being put to sleep is just dumb. Thank god writers learned from that and it's now not as much of an issue.

Also, Charizard's disobedience... probably why I didn't like him at the time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back