• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Were you disappointed in no Z?

Years
  • Good spot. It's interesting that you bring that up, as the two Zygarde in XYZ have different coloured cores too - one red, one blue. Of course, red and blue relates more to Xerneas and Yveltal rather than Sun and Moon, since the blue is a slightly darker shade and it's clearly red and not orange, but the fact that Perfect Zygarde has four distinct colours alongside the white (which 50% Zygarde has anyway; that seems to be its default hexagon colour of sorts alongside all the black and green) suggests it might relate to four Legendaries instead of two...and this wouldn't be the first time we've had one Pokemon ruling over two sets of Legendaries either. I like this idea.

The only problem I can see is that the XYZ anime is going to have finished airing before Sun and Moon come out and, if they're adapting the story of Sun and Moon in XYZ, something doesn't add up there...we'd know the story of the games before they're even out. But then, there is every possibility it could end inconclusively or differently - probably in a manner similar to the games - and be revisited in the anime at the same time as Sun and Moon are released as Ash explores the new region. They'd tie it all up somehow.

Yeah, and it's like Thousand Waves look like tidal waves affected by the moon and Thousand arrows symbolize the rays of the Sun. So it could probably be that the Sun and Moon all have a part to life and death.. I wonder if the new region is based off of Hawaii, how could they make Kalos be next to it? Then again, I think in ORAS or in XY, you find a swimmer who said he swam all the way from Hoenn into Kalos or vice-versa, I don't know. But I know that France and Japan are really far away from each other. And I know that in real life, there are no transportation by trains in Hawaii.. but I know the descpription for Couriway town is "The railway brings people from great distances to see the huge, majestic falls." and is a town connecting differences.. " I'm really hoping these games will be the gold and silver to Kalos..

pkmin3033

Yeah, and it's like Thousand Waves look like tidal waves affected by the moon and Thousand arrows symbolize the rays of the Sun. So it could probably be that the Sun and Moon all have a part to life and death.. I wonder if the new region is based off of Hawaii, how could they make Kalos be next to it? Then again, I think in ORAS or in XY, you find a swimmer who said he swam all the way from Hoenn into Kalos or vice-versa, I don't know. But I know that France and Japan are really far away from each other. And I know that in real life, there are no transportation by trains in Hawaii.. but I know the descpription for Couriway town is "The railway brings people from great distances to see the huge, majestic falls." and is a town connecting differences.. " I'm really hoping these games will be the gold and silver to Kalos..
    Well, it could just as easily be south France as Hawaii; the evidence that people are using to suggest Hawaii could relate to that and, if the other evidence of connections to Kalos hold any weight, I think that more likely. Pokearth is only loosely inspired by the real world as well in terms of geography; it isn't an absolute thing. There is nothing to stop Game Freak from drawing influence from other cultures, or adapting things to suit their purposes...I mean, the Legendaries of the region don't always correspond to the geography they're inspired by.

It's difficult to know either way, since we're basing assumptions on circumstantial evidence and interpretation, but it has some potential, I think. It's nice to think that Kalos will be revisited because, as I've said, it desperately needs it. Much like Unova, it's a very lackluster and undeveloped place, and a sequel - even in the format of a GSC to RBY relationship - would do wonders for it.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I'm shocked to say the least, but not disappointed. I'm pretty confident that we'll still get Zygarde's Formes in-game one way or another. I've seen the suggestion floating around about giving it a post-game "Episode Z" in S/M, which I'm perfectly fine with. Kind of a neat theory I've seen suggested on here, that Zygarde might not actually be a Kalos-exclusive Legendary, and instead might act as the "master" to the Kalos and S/M's Legendaries.

But if none of this comes to be, I think I'll still be happy with what we get. As long as they make S/M worthy of a 20th Anniversary game, it's all good.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. A little puzzled, because I expected a new episode/pair of sequels to explain everything about Zygarde, but otherwise not disappointed.

I always found Gen VI to be underwhelming after what we got in Gen V. Granted, the technological leap was impressive and the new gameplay mechanics were great, but looking at the actual content: the story, the region, the characters, they were just... there.

I wouldn't mind if Gen VII turned out to be sequels though, as stated above. If there's a chance to make something good and memorable of the region based on the country where I live, I'm all for it :) . Just add an actual story that doesn't copy-paste the pattern established in Gen II/Gen III (where the story proper only moves forward when the evil team shows up, ends after the seventh gym, and the last gym and the Pokémon League are more of an afterthought) , put in interesting characters (or make the existing ones DO SOMETHING) , add new Pokémon here and there, and I'll be all over that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Felt like sharing this picture I saw on twitter.

CceCrLbVAAAz7Z4.jpg

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    All in all, I think the signs point towards Sun and Moon being very much linked to Kalos. Another think that I have also picked up on is:
    The weird souvenir item you get seems to be linked to this new region (hawaii, and tikis and stuff). What the region is doesn't really matter. Now, what my real question is, is why would they have been referencing that region so early on in gen 6, if they weren't connected?
    I think that, with all the un-finished aspects of Kalos, it would only be logical that they rushed through to gen 7, if these games weren't connected at all. Furthermore, the fact that sun and moon (at least the regions) were possibly conceived as early as X/Y development shows that they had a clear idea on what they wanted to do next. With this evidence, I think it is safe to say that gen 7 and gen 6 will certainly be interlinked, and this simply even further exemplifies all the other reasoning that we have. The railway station, Zygarde's connection etc. They were planning this all along, and quite honestly, I don't think they would have teased it, if it weren't connected.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Felt like sharing this picture I saw on twitter.

CceCrLbVAAAz7Z4.jpg

I'm laughing and crying at the same time, is that normal?

All in all, I think the signs point towards Sun and Moon being very much linked to Kalos. Another think that I have also picked up on is:
    The weird souvenir item you get seems to be linked to this new region (hawaii, and tikis and stuff). What the region is doesn't really matter. Now, what my real question is, is why would they have been referencing that region so early on in gen 6, if they weren't connected?
    I think that, with all the un-finished aspects of Kalos, it would only be logical that they rushed through to gen 7, if these games weren't connected at all. Furthermore, the fact that sun and moon (at least the regions) were possibly conceived as early as X/Y development shows that they had a clear idea on what they wanted to do next. With this evidence, I think it is safe to say that gen 7 and gen 6 will certainly be interlinked, and this simply even further exemplifies all the other reasoning that we have. The railway station, Zygarde's connection etc. They were planning this all along, and quite honestly, I don't think they would have teased it, if it weren't connected.

That's an interesting point, about the Strange Souvenir. I've also questioned why they would be referencing the next new region so early. I do really like the idea of S/M and X/Y being connected somehow. The Kanto/Johto relationship is one example, but to me personally it's not that appealing in their case; Kanto and Johto are barebones regions in almost every aspect.

But on the other hand, I think that all 6 regions will be interlinked in these games, since it would seem appropriate for the 20th anniversary. If you listen to the Direct video, they say something like "it's all coming together in an all new Pokemon adventure" right after they list off the years that each Generation began. Some people may think that it's nothing, but I think these games are gonna blow our minds.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • This time around, I actually wanted the 3rd version more then ever. X and Y were so quick to fnish, and I'd of loved to choose Froakie and 5 more Kalos Pokemon for a new team. But I guess we'll just have to see what happens :P I can always pick up another X way down the road for fun.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • You bet I was disappointed in no Z, because what was the point of introducing Zygarde's new forms when Zygarde's not gonna be the main focus of the new game? He'll get neglected over the new third member of Sun and Moon's legendary trio. I was also secretly hoping for a Mega Mewtwo Z that shapes like Frieza's third forme.

Angelroid

Sun X
    Years
  • XY were dissapointing? So were Diamond and Pearl, and Platinum fixed it and turned out to be a wonderful game. It's comfortable to remember XY as a lousy gen when it didn't even have a chance to redeem its self.
    Yea, Black/White and Black 2/White 2 were dissapointing to me as well. Z shoulda happened but Game Freak moved on to Gen 7 with Sun & Moon.

Years
  • Yea, Black/White and Black 2/White 2 were dissapointing to me as well. Z shoulda happened but Game Freak moved on to Gen 7 with Sun & Moon.

5th Gen wasn't as bad given B2/W2 did tie up a lot of loose ends about Unova and had huge postgame content. I do feel Kalos should have ended the same, but I feel like moving onto a new generation was the right step given Pokemon's 20th anniversary.

pkmin3033

OK, someone is clearly clutching at straws with that...

I think they did alright with Black 2/White 2, as those acted like third versions after a fashion, giving us a more complete experience in Unova and also having the added benefit of building upon past events, being sequels. It'd be a shame if Kalos didn't get that treatment in some fashion, because as it is it's quite a disappointing generation, but given its very stopgap feel, it's not surprising if Game Freak don't want to dwell on it. I still think Sun and Moon could be alternatively named sequels set in a different region, because GF are constantly going out of their way to surprise us and keep things fresh, but given that it's the 20th Anniversary it could just as easily be a whole new gen.

But really, I can't see what Z could have done to improve X and Y's story, which wasn't especially standout to begin with.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    OK, someone is clearly clutching at straws with that...

I think they did alright with Black 2/White 2, as those acted like third versions after a fashion, giving us a more complete experience in Unova and also having the added benefit of building upon past events, being sequels. It'd be a shame if Kalos didn't get that treatment in some fashion, because as it is it's quite a disappointing generation, but given its very stopgap feel, it's not surprising if Game Freak don't want to dwell on it. I still think Sun and Moon could be alternatively named sequels set in a different region, because GF are constantly going out of their way to surprise us and keep things fresh, but given that it's the 20th Anniversary it could just as easily be a whole new gen.

But really, I can't see what Z could have done to improve X and Y's story, which wasn't especially standout to begin with.

Well tbf, there are a lot of subtle things that needed explaining, and I think those are really what made people think Z was gonna happen. Some of the things that stood out to me was the train station, the locked door at the electricity plant, the ghost girl, and the skiddos who were abandoned by their owner. All these things, while not exactly relevant to the main story, almost told us that Kalos wasn't finished. I always thought that prequels, or something alluding to time travel would make a lot of sense.

On an added note, the story probably wouldn't be improved much as it was. Funnily enough, it would be likely that if they are continued it would be like the kanto/johto story arch. Perhaps that's even what this is gonna be lol

pkmin3033

Well tbf, there are a lot of subtle things that needed explaining, and I think those are really what made people think Z was gonna happen. Some of the things that stood out to me was the train station, the locked door at the electricity plant, the ghost girl, and the skiddos who were abandoned by their owner. All these things, while not exactly relevant to the main story, almost told us that Kalos wasn't finished. I always thought that prequels, or something alluding to time travel would make a lot of sense.

On an added note, the story probably wouldn't be improved much as it was. Funnily enough, it would be likely that if they are continued it would be like the kanto/johto story arch. Perhaps that's even what this is gonna be lol
    Would it really take an entire game to do that, though? The recent Delta Episode - which had almost as much plot in it as ORAS and significantly less length - makes me doubt it...and there is nothing stopping them from tying up those Kalos loose ends in Sun and Moon through similar postgame episodes. For all we know, Sun and Moon could be sequels to X and Y, just separated, and give us that Z content we're hovering around and expecting, just in a slightly different format from what was anticipated...it might even be better for it, as it won't be rehashed like the third versions of the games have always been. Yes, they've been improved, but it's still the same game we played before.

I don't think we can really count Kalos as finished until we get more information on what form Sun and Moon will take. I get the frustration about a lack of another Kalos game, but until the book is closed on it once and for all...seems a bit premature to me, I guess?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • 50% of me is disappointed that no Z was announced, considering that Zygarde's formes were hyped up on their reveal.

Years
  • I don't think we can really count Kalos as finished until we get more information on what form Sun and Moon will take. I get the frustration about a lack of another Kalos game, but until the book is closed on it once and for all...seems a bit premature to me, I guess?

It's true. We only have very vague information and while I'm assuming it's going to be a new generation, I feel like it'd be best to wait for a source that officially confirms it, which I'm sure the next CoroCoro might do. It was upsetting Kalos will be ending without loose ends tied, but maybe Sun & Moon might throw in some references.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • What disappoints me most about this is that, if they really do abandon Kalos and leave it unfinished the way it is now, I'd be worried they'll make a habit out of it and do the same thing with Sun & Moon. If there's any loose ends or unsolved mysteries in Sun & Moon, can we even be confident they'll ever be resolved? Maybe they won't repeat the same mistake, in which case, I don't really care too much that we didn't get Z. But the possibility just recently dawned on me that GameFreak might just say "Why bother making a complete story/region?" and this same thing will end up happening in future generations.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • What disappoints me most about this is that, if they really do abandon Kalos and leave it unfinished the way it is now, I'd be worried they'll make a habit out of it and do the same thing with Sun & Moon. If there's any loose ends or unsolved mysteries in Sun & Moon, can we even be confident they'll ever be resolved? Maybe they won't repeat the same mistake, in which case, I don't really care too much that we didn't get Z. But the possibility just recently dawned on me that GameFreak might just say "Why bother making a complete story/region?" and this same thing will end up happening in future generations.

Exactly, this is my biggest fear as well. If they've officially abandoned making revamped 3rd versions and sequels like Platinum and BW2, then I hope that from now on the'll start making the Generational Starting Pair games(in this case SM) more "complete" and less half-baked. Which to be honest, that's what they should have been doing in the first place. I'm wondering if Nintendo got sick of Game Freak for following that formula for so long, and basically told them to do something different or else?

Back