• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what are you currently reading?

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
  • Stephen King - IT.

Three words: WHY. SO. MASSIVE. I managed to read the unabridged version of The Stand in a week, but IT has taken me a fortnight so far and I'm only on page...396. It is a masterful piece of work and the level of detail is incredible, but I see myself still reading this at Christmas. XD

To be honest, the film version is much better, as with most of Stephen King's fiction that has a film version. The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, Misery etc. Anyway that's my opinion, yours may differ.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years

• To be honest, the film version is much better, as with most of Stephen King's fiction that has a film version. The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, Misery etc. Anyway that's my opinion, yours may differ.

I'm a big fan of Stephen King's books and I agree, most of the film adaptations are fantastic, but I prefer to read things than watch them XD But I'm just frustrated that it's taking me so long because I have to carry a brick around in my handbag ^^

SamCooper

Veteran Trainer (2000-2010)
    Years
  • I recently read Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. Beautifully written, but it seemed to me like a blanket of wonderful and original metaphors wrapped around a rather thin plot. Still, it intrigued me enough to want to read more of Woolf, so I went out and bought The Waves.

Now I'm reading Crash by J.G. Ballard. It's not bad, certainly very original, but the language is very repetitive. I've lost count of the number of times I've read the word "contours." Also, the (many) sex scenes smack of IKEA Erotica (ie. it reads like an instruction manual). All in all I think Crash is a bit overrated, but still worth a read.

Of course, both books (and indeed all books) pale in comparison to a book I read a couple of months ago: Ulysses by James Joyce. The greatest book I have ever read, bar none.

rockgangster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    Right now I'm reading "Chariots of the Gods".
    It involves the hypothesis that the technologies and religions of ancient civilizations were given to them by aliens.

Years
  • The Count of Monte Cristo is actually a really good book I got to read it in High School and it was good. I liked it. Right now I'm looking for a good book to read. Idk what to read right now :(

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2010
    what ever i can get a hand on but right now im reading parachute infantry ,band of brothers,D-day ,and what ever world war 2 book i can find

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • Currently reading: debunked! ESP-Telekinesis-Other Pseudoscience.

I love this thread! I get good ideas of what books to checkout next:D

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Reading the sh-..tuff I have to read through the summer for next year's English class, which are:

Catcher in the Rye-Salinger
    Night-Elie Wiesel
    Oedipus Rex

Just a WTF list. I'm still with Catcher in the Rye with a pirated PDF on my Linux machine because I am too lazy to go to the bookstore. That book... is an interesting representation of the average teen mind in the 60's or something...

Years
  • Night-Elie Wiesel
    I'm glad I never had to read that for school. Reading about the Holocaust gets so depressing so easily. Maus is a different story though, at least for me.

Today I picked up Oliver Sacks' memoir, Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood. I don't normally read memoirs, but this one was recommended to me so I thought I'd try it out.

Back