• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you reading?

Years
  • The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien. I've been reading a bunch of Tolkien recently for some reason.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Currently reading Dust of Dreams, the 9th book in Steven Erikson's Malazan series.

Book 8 (Toll the Hounds) had a ridiculous ending.

Years
  • Currently reading William Faulkner's The Wild Palms. Like everything Faulkner wrote and like everyone doing a PhD on Faulkner will say, it's incredible. I much prefer the alternative title, If I Forget Thee, Jerusalem, however.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I started reading The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman. It's kind of a guilty pleasure since the fantasy in it isn't the most original thing in the world. It feels heavily inspired by The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe. Enjoyable all the same however, I'm just kind of floating through it and enjoying part to part. I wouldn't run out to recommend the trilogy, buuut it's not too bad. I'll be interested to see what they do with the TV series.

Aside from that I'm somewhat reading Blood Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski. I'm a bit behind on catching up on that series. I find his writing to great, really engrossing, really deep. But the prose could do with some work. It doesn't flow too well. That said, I'm a massive fan of the Witcher series and can't get enough of it.

I really need more medium fantasy to keep me going though, I say it every time, but Patrick Rothfuss is a genius and I need his final book in the Kingkiller Chronicle to come out nownownow.

Jayce

x-kid
    Years
  • I think I've posted this book here before, but now that I'm finished with all the books I needed for school I've picked up Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay again. It's a collection of essays, really go so far.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I'm reading House of Leaves and it is utterly terrifying. it's in that niche of horror where almost nothing is described and the concept isn't even really scary (family moves into a house that's larger on the inside than it is out) but holy shit. it's so complex and claustrophobic and paranoia-inducing. it's also written extremely well; there are four different narrators (all written in different fonts so it's kinda easy to keep track), one of which is a book about a movie about the house they moved into (the main part of the book (and this sounds confusing but it isn't)), another of which is a guy that moved into the same house after the events transpired (more of a romance, but it's also kind of terrifying in parts) and a couple others that are kinda unimportant in the grand scheme. also some pages look a bit odd, like this one. buncha weird formatting which is also terrifying. GOOD BOOK

Reactions: dad

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    the great gatsby, v classic.

Just read that book, I really liked it.

Currently reading Frankenstein, which I like, but is really hard to get through for me, because of the poetic language, and the big words I have to think about. Maybe I just should've gotten the Dutch one, that would make things easier, haha.

Reactions: dad

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • A lot of the classics people have listed here I had to read in high school and HATED. Including Frankenstein, Gatsby and Regeneration.

However, Brave New World was okay, and I kinda liked Children of Men. :)

Jayce

x-kid
    Years
  • I'm reading Maggie Cassidy by Jack Kerouac now. I've wanted to pick up another one of his books since I finished On The Road (I was a bit late to that one...), and found this guy for under $5 at a used bookstore, so voila. I just started, but it's good so far. I'm enjoying the working-class New England vibe.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    i'm currently reading another, by yukito ayatsuji. i actually watched the anime adaptation a few years ago and since then i've always wanted to read the novel it was based on. my dad got it for me as an early birthday present and i must say i really enjoy it so far. c:

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff - Another book I bought years ago when I first started getting interested in Eastern religions, and only started to read now when that interest was renewed. It's interesting, and I'm learning quite a bit about Taoism, which is something I always wanted to learn about.

The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card - This is some of Card's earlier work with a little rewriting to reflect what he learned mixed with the best that he could do as a young writer. Even though it's science fiction, which is what he's known for, there's a quality to the work that makes it read different than other science fiction books he wrote. It's taking me longer to read this than it usually takes.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I just finished Year Zero by Rob Reid. It was a light, quick read and quite enjoyable. If you liked Hitchhiker's Guide, you'll enjoy this.

~Psychic

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Reading Saul Bellow's Seize the Day. Another book that I picked up for free at the school library. I've never read Bellow before but I have heard so much about him. :)

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    finished the great gatsby in class, ngl i teared up a little. i'm looking for something scary to check out but if i can't find anything i'll prob check out can't get there from here or the absolutely true diary of a part-time indian

Back