• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your hopes for the game?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I want the games to be as close to PLA as possible. Obviously not carbon copies but they must have known the new way of Pokemon would be welcomed and with it being open world it makes me think that although it'll have your standard elements it'll follow more closely to PLA style than any other new generation.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Feb 28, 2022
    personally i'm hoping the game mechanics are fun and the characters/pokemon are well designed/interesting.
    the thing i want most is a good storyline. i've been seeing a lot of people say that the different school-uniform looking base outfits might be because there's going to be two schools in scarlet and violet and they're going to have a school rivalry type deal which sounds really fun, since i don't think that's been done in any previous game.
    however, i would still like the game to have an actual antagonist of some sort, and it doesn't have to be an evil team like in previous games.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Remove. Trade. Evos. The previous game did by making a link cable item and converting evo items that you can use to evolve your guys, and that was great. That should happen from now on.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Remove. Trade. Evos. The previous game did by making a link cable item and converting evo items that you can use to evolve your guys, and that was great. That should happen from now on.

I 100% agree with this. I think they could keep some pokemon that evolve through a trade, but maybe put those trades in game. The ones that hold items can be a high risk trade if you don't have a site like Pokecommunity to trade at. You could lose the item and that be it. I know it is supposed to be a big part of Pokemon, but I think most people at this point just don't want to bother.

Edit: Not to mention, Sword and Shield and Legends put trade evolutions in the wild.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm hoping for this game to go back to the regular gyms and elite four members, instead of what they did with trails and the champion cup. Not that I don't want GF to change the things up a bit, but I'd rather them not change that original setup for every single game going forward. Instead, I'm hoping the changes will be more in the plot, new environments, features, and improved gameplay. And I definitely don't want them to do what they did with the badges in SwSh; that seemed rather lazy.
    Other than that I just hope the games are good and have a solid roster of new Pokemon. Hopefully they'll mostly include Pokemon that weren't available in SwSh and BDSP. It would be cool if we could transfer PLA Pokemon in but I suspect that won't be a possibility given the fish out of temporal water situation that would create.
    Oh and please give us an actual Safari Zone again that was cool.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I just thought about one this morning while looking at sword and shield pokemon and realized I have not remember most of their names... I think that is because I just wasn't able to use most of them, nor did many appear in battles.

So what I want is to let the new pokemon have a dominate presence. In Sword and Shield, we barely get any of the new pokemon at the start of the game and older pokemon are dominantly used over the new. I don't like that. I want to use the new pokemon. I want to see the new pokemon. They should have a dominating presence like the new pokemon did in Arceus.

Years
  • - Cram-o-matic returning
    - Some kind of Co-op online where you can team up with friends or complete strangers and battle against Boss Pokemon together
    - Red, Blue, and Green as secret postgame bosses

I'd love this too, even if the latter seems really unlikely. More characters making cameos would be awesome! Red and Blue being in Alola was one of the most memorable things ever.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I'm mostly interested in seeing how most of the new unused typings would go underway. Y'know, things like Grass/Fire and Ground/Fighting and such.

I also would like to see a new Electric/Psychic and Ice/Steel that aren't regional variants. And for the Ice/Steel, please make it a fast mon just to make it easier to deal with those quad weaknesses?

Also, let's just say I 80% disagree with Devalue's "no evil team" statement. I mean, I DON'T want to see the traditional style of villains, even though we haven't seen that in many years. But I'm still interested to see how villains would be presented here. There are better ways to make these games different, in my opinion.

And that said, I don't want gyms, by the way. I don't even want 'different gyms' I just straight up don't want gyms.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I'm about 3 hours into Sword after having not played past Black 2, enjoying it but the one thing I really want them to get rid of in Gen IX is this gaining exp. for captures malarkey. I've had 5 trainer battles yet my team is already Lv. 15 Starter, Lv. 12 Slowpoke (admittedly, caught at that level) and Lv. 9 Wooloo, with a Butterfree in the PC that I evolved from a Caterpie without it ever appearing in a battle! Its going to be too easy - and I say that as someone who nowadays gets far more excited by captures than battles until I get to the Battle Tower / PWT / whatever they have in Gen VI onwards.

Shinygir

YAY! WE'RE DOOMED!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    -no new gimmicky battle mechanics just bring back megas
    -bring back the rival that everyone loves to hate no more of the goofy idiot type
    -traditional battles except in a safari zone like area where its more open world fighting
    -a major and minor league badges it was rumored in swsh but ended up being false
    -just TMs no more TRs
    - bring back the alola ver of HMs
    -the rotom power-ups
    -a good story and the continued ability to skip cut scenes
    -an evil team that has a good balance between evilness and goofy humor

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    ^ How about instead of repels, new items are created as alternatives, such as a lawnmover to remove grass, and stuff like that?

Bring back using Cut to chop down grass! Even if its not a HM / field technique / ability to swing your bicycle wildly at the foliage, but rather a TM. I was amazed when I found I could obliterate Route 119 in Emerald with this otherwise outclassed HM move!

example: Cubone without item -> Marowak and Cubone holding item -> Alolan Marowak
    - Red, Blue, and Green as secret postgame bosses

Yes to the first of the above - "imbued with the energy/aura of a far-off region" could be the item description.
    As for postgame bosses, I want trainers from other regions. The Johto protagonists beat Red after all, let's have them face you in a double battle with Silver! It could be Ethan / Lyra depending on the gender of the player.
    The protagonist from BW left Unova seemingly to never return, we could have them and the B2W2 character with their respective dragons - Reshiram and Zekrom respectively in Scarlet, and vice versa in Violet.

-bring back the rival that everyone loves to hate no more of the goofy idiot type
    - bring back the alola ver of HMs

The first of those I've left in the quote definitely isn't happening...which is a shame. Barry was a step up from Hoenn's lack of actual battles with them / May not even evolving her starter to its final stage (Wally was neat though, and I kinda liked how he came out of nowhere to be suddenly strong), but from what I've heard every rival since has had a similar friendly vibe. Going back to Kanto where he's a bully or Johto when he's a thief and (decade old game spoiler alert / two-decade old manga spoiler alert) son of the bad guy is so refreshing. Maybe have our rival join start friendly, join the bad guys, then turn to the light at the last? Would still be predictable, but different.
    Not played those games yet but yeah having everything be a bicycle kinda sucks (even if aquatic Rotomb bike screenshots do make me think of Top Gear's Vietnam Special). In my ideal world any Water-type who is bigger than the protagonist's footprint could be ridden. Or you can ride a Lapras on any sea areas and something else in freshwater (as Lapras has always been known as a saltwater pokémon).

Years
    • Seen today
    ^ How about instead of repels, new items are created as alternatives, such as a lawnmover to remove grass, and stuff like that?

Bring back using Cut to chop down grass! Even if its not a HM / field technique / ability to swing your bicycle wildly at the foliage, but rather a TM.

I mean, why not just make grass patches avoidable? There's no need to fill a five metters width road with a literal five metters width grass patch. Especially for main roads that people supposedly go back and forth all the time, it would make more sense lore-wise to have crosswalks so that even people who aren't Pokémon trainers can also travel from town to town safely.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Another thing occurred to me when choosing my Brilliant Diamond player character...we choose our own gender and ethnicity, why not the rival's too? We name them, after all.

Years
  • Another thing occurred to me when choosing my Brilliant Diamond player character...we choose our own gender and ethnicity, why not the rival's too? We name them, after all.

I actually didn't think about that! Would love to see more customization in the games as a whole, and if that stretches to characters beyond ours it's only a plus. 👍

And since I'm seeing posts about making grass avoidable.. going to agree there also. Sometimes I just want to go forward without wild encounters. Repels do exist, yeah, but this way I spend less money (and the Repels themselves will continue having use in select areas/caves/surfing etc).

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Strong disagree with everyone on the avoidable grass patches - too many of them already if you ask me! I see it as a core component of the game, but I think these are probably entrenched positions.

After playing Sword a while (over 50 hours, yet to reach the 4th gym as I like capturing so much), I have to say I really hope we can grow our own berries. Randomly getting them from a tree, which might instigate a wild battle that sees you lose them all, now that sucks. Bring back my agriculture!!

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2024
    I'd love backtrackable maps that we can revisit once we unlock certain abilities.
    Doesn't have to be Rock Smash or Surf, etc. in particular, but something of that sort would be great.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I'm hoping for this game to go back to the regular gyms and elite four members, instead of what they did with trails and the champion cup. Not that I don't want GF to change the things up a bit, but I'd rather them not change that original setup for every single game going forward. Instead, I'm hoping the changes will be more in the plot, new environments, features, and improved gameplay. And I definitely don't want them to do what they did with the badges in SwSh; that seemed rather lazy.
    Other than that I just hope the games are good and have a solid roster of new Pokemon. Hopefully they'll mostly include Pokemon that weren't available in SwSh and BDSP. It would be cool if we could transfer PLA Pokemon in but I suspect that won't be a possibility given the fish out of temporal water situation that would create.
    Oh and please give us an actual Safari Zone again that was cool.

I fully expect this game to lack Gyms. They don't really fit the school aesthetic.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh and completely new, not-recycled, unique 3D animations for every single Pokémon any returning 'mons would be nice. We were promised an overhaul of those models a long time ago and it would be nice to see Game Freak actually make good on that. And models that actually make sense too, not like Skarmory's weird, "flying but not flapping wings a foot above the ground", type stuff.

Back