• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you like/not like in a username?

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
Years
  • Well, something Catchy but not too long. Oh, and non numbers, it makes you look like a nub. (It'd have to be a REALLY cool use of the number for me to like it.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Any name ending with more than one number is redundant and silly looking IMO.

I don't discriminate towards names often, but there are little pet-peeves, like if someone doesn't capitalize the first letter in their name... urg

chanchimi

With a Side of Cheddar
    Years
  • I don't have a problem with most usernames.

Like a lot of other people, I like usernames that are legible, and not completely swarmed with numbers. I appreciate usernames with humor, and usernames that are unique.

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • I don't like numbers / strange characters because they can be hard to read, remember, & type.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I like something that actually sounds like a name instead of a username. Even if that name is an adjective, it could still be used as a name for a pet, for example.. so I don't mind those kinds of names either.

It should sound natural when saying it out loud.
    For example.. I don't like something that would be like.. "Pika34darkness"

"Hi there, Pikathreefourdarkness!"

or

"Hi there Wewonthegame!"

It just sounds silly to me.

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    I don't like numbers in a username! Looks n00bish, however with some exceptions, some people can pull it off.

Or just ones which sound really cheesy, haha. Wait.. nah, they're just funny lol.

Years
  • I dislike how majority of users seem to have some sort of Japanese-sounding name (before you say anything, my username is Greek, not Japanese.) Not that the idea is bad at all, it's just so commonly seen and hyped by many people and it lost its charm to me. I usually tolerate usernames with an odd combination of numbers and letters since it's the sort of thing I actually find kinda interesting, but otherwise it's just the influx of Japanese names on this forum that tend to annoy me.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I don't like numbers in a username! Looks n00bish, however with some exceptions, some people can pull it off.
    ...wow. I started composing a reply in my head when I clicked this thread and that's EXACTLY what I came up with. Right down to punctuation, almost. XD;

So yeah, numbers aren't my thing though some people can pull them off okay.

I also dislike things I can't pronounce. The easiest way for my to remember a username is to be able to say it in my head as I go to type it. If your username is SDFKLJG I will either attempt to say "sidfiklujguh" or just copy/paste your name or make fun of your name as I try to quote you. I also hate long usernames.

Oooh another thing I dislike in a username is a symbol. I don't mind a ♥ or something quick to create--just alt and some numbers--but when you have to copy paste one or more symbols into your name? Whyyy would you bring that upon yourself? It's just inconveniencing yourself and others when they want to refer to you. :| I think it's ridiculous.

This doesn't apply to PC, but I haaaate the trend on LJ to rename your journal to like "waitedingly". Everyone started making their usernames adverbs and then people starting making adverbs that didn't exist and it's just gotten ridiculous. <_< I actually saw a username just like my example. Not that exactly, but pretty close. I was just embarrassed for the person who probably though they had such a cool name. :( I'm not saying it's bad to make up a word for your username but... but don't... I just... I don't even know. These names are just disasters for the most part.

Lastly I don't really like usernames based off of real people. It weirds me out.

I'm so judgemental and picky lmao.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    Seeing this thread makes me wonder what people think of my user name. XD (No, those are not "random" numbers. They actually serve a purpose.)

I'm not really picky about user names. Most of the people I talk to often either have a nickname or I call them by their real name. User names just aren't important to me.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I like simple, one-to-two-word names that show some creativity and thought (it is the name you go by on the forum/site, after all.) I don't mind the occasional special character or spacing, but I'm not fond of numbers and underscores, or anything that sounds like an email address.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I don't like all those [Don't do something][Pokemon name]

Numbers are okay...if its not too excessive :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    I don't really like usernames with numbers in them. I don't like usernames with special characters in them either, but Japanese characters are okay.

I really hate usernames that are kind of like this: usernameyeah too.
    One word that's lowercase is alright for me, though.

I also hate names that are l i k e t h i s, that's why I'm planning to change my name to something simple like "Ice", without the quotation marks of course. I have no idea why I decided to make my name like that.

Years
  • Seeing this thread makes me wonder what people think of my user name. XD (No, those are not "random" numbers. They actually serve a purpose.)

I'm not really picky about user names. Most of the people I talk to often either have a nickname or I call them by their real name. User names just aren't important to me.
    You are probably the only person that I've seen pull off a name like that. Generally, names in lowercase, with unoriginality (ie: Lugiamaster123) etc. Basically any characters aside from letters and spaces annoy me.

Single or Double word names are usually great, because they're short, sweet and generally easy to remember. It generally forces originality, as well.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Somehow, the only usernames that bothered me are the ones that have less than four characters or have words that have less than 4 letters. No wonder I hate my name.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • Names I like are those that are more or less easy to remember, but more importantly, allow you to remember them by name... though in the case of PC, Usernames change so often, its pretty hard to keep track of everyone. XD; So long as the overuse of symbols is as minimal as possible, I don't mind, either. You could say I'm one of those people who see Usernames as a means to recognise someone; nothing more, nothing less. ^^

Though there are a few common things in Usernames that really bug me. The primary one is numbers, which I hate seeing in any kind of Username. I don't know why, but to me, numbers just make a screen name look horrible. Maybe its because of "411 7#15", but thankfully, that doesn't always happen on the Internet. Speaking of, symbols are another thing I don't really like, unless only making up a small, almost unnoticable part of the Username, such as, to make an example of myself, my own Username.

Finally, ridiculously long Usernames and Usernames that are all, or almost completely made up of block capitals, are something that don't annoy me as much as numbers and the overuse of symbols, but it bugs be, nonetheless. It kind of gives me the feeling that the member behind the name is trying to be bigger than everyone else.

These are mostly personal preferences for my own Usernames, but there really are some out there that take the biscuit for ridiculousness.

Cloudskye

My Own Personal Hell
    Years
  • I hate usernames with numbers in them. Even though, on another forum.. I used to go by Cloudskye93. Wow... Very un-creative. I know. And the freaky symbols I've seen in some names are hard to read.

inhisxeyes

resident crazy.
    Years
  • If you've got a bunch of random numbers slapped at the end of your user name, I instantly have less respect for you. Not saying that I automatically hate you, it's just you'll seem more childish in my view.

And anything that's spelled wrong really rubs me the wrong way. I mean, seriously people, this is your user name. People are going to look at it and be like "Oh, that redneck can't spell."

Also, anything that has to do with Twilight >_>;

But I do like creativity in user names, and humour. Obscure references to books and movies are also tank.

Back