• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] What Do You Think of the Pokemon So Far?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    As a whole, what do you think of these region's Pokemon so far? I'm already liking them a lot more than Alola's Pokemon from a generation ago. Those Pokemon were good, though, just not my favorite set of regional Pokemon, lmfao.

blue

gucci
    Years
    solid designs all round. i know we've only seen a few but there actually isn't one pokemon that's disappointed me yet!

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2019
    I really liked Alola, but a couple of these designs blow me away: Wooloo and Corviknight. What I really love about Wooloo is that a lot of its charm is in its overworld animation, rolling around. That adds layers of life to both it and Galar. I'm hoping something similar happens with Corviknight.

There's so much foreshadowing around the Raven Pokémon. From Professor Magnolia's cane to the taxi service, it just feels important and epic already. I hope it's extremely hard to catch: limited location, rare appearance, tough battle, low catch rate. But once caught, I hope it allows us to Soar like in ORAS. That would be so awesome!

It's also very cool to me that James Turner, the first Westerner (Maybe first non-Japanese) to design Pokémon also happens to be British and also happens to be taking on the helm of Art Director for the first time with these games. This is sure to feel like a labor of love throughout. What a dream come true for this guy!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    So far I'm really liking them, my two favorites as of now are Corviknight and Wooloo.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    As of now, I like them all. I'm only going to form real opinions on them once the games come out, though. I'd like to only judge it properly once more information comes out.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Grookey/Scorbunny/Sobble: For a batch of starter Pokemon, I like them as a group. Pretty strong line up so far.
    Wooloo: I love it. I mean it's basically just a sheep but what's not to love
    Gossifleur/Eldegoss: Hoping they're a three stage family, but I really like these two as is anyway.
    Drednaw: Probably my least favorite our of the first basic Pokemon group. I still like it and I like the backstory, but it's Pokemon so it basically means nothing here. Its color scheme just reminds me of Zinogre from Monster Hunter, and all I can think of when I look at it is a chibi version of Zinogre
    Corviknight: I did not like this when I first saw it, but it's certainly grown on me and is up there with my favorites. I've seen a lot of people hoping to get an evolution for it, but I'd be happy if it stayed a single stage.
    Zacian/Zamazenta: Still undecided on these two. I perfer Zacian to Zamazenta, and these two just give my Lycanroc vibes. I'm more interested the story with these two rather than the designs so far.

Years
    I really like all of them, especially Wooloo. But that's probably obvious lol. Gossifleur's line is also incredibly lovely! If this awesome design trend continues I feel like Galar will become one of my favorite regions for new Pokémon. <3

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah, big praise to James Turner! I really like all designs so far. Especially Gossifleur, Corviknight and the legendaries, I think :) And of course my boi Grookey.

Eldegoss

[i]The Beauty of Galar[/i]
    Years
    From what we have seen so far, I love all of the designs! No disappointments yet.

Although I'm sure there are plenty of Pokemon left to come, so maybe there will be one or two which don't tickle my fancy.

Years
    I am hoping James Turner one day will become the CEO of the Game Freak once Satoshi Tajiri steps down as the CEO. James has a really unique and special design for the Pokemon, so he will be the CEO in the near future!

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I didn't like the starter Pokemon animation in the first reveal. I didn't like them until I saw Ken Sugimori's artwork for them. Specifically Scorbunny's thin legs. The boxart legendaries don't really say legendary to me, more like Suicune/Entei/Raikou then Lugia and Ho oh

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I definitely like them more on average than the Alola Pokémon thus far, but I'm actually not as head-over-heels with them as most people seem to be. They're good, but none have squeezed their way into my favorites yet. It definitely feels like part of the reason why I like them is because other people like them (I mean, I really do like Wooloo, but it's hard to feel even neutral when everyone and their mother is producing tons upon tons of cute fan art of it). I'll probably have different feelings when I'm actually playing the game, though, as that seems to influence my opinion on Pokémon designs as well--for instance, I didn't really like Emolga or Tsareena until I actually used them myself, but now they're among my most-favorites.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them - there's no Pokemon yet I am 'meh' about. Not every single one is one I love or the likes, but they're a solid bunch.

Wooloo is quite cute.

Back