• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What gender do you think Pokemon is targeted towards?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    DISCLAIMER: If you came here just to say "Options to play as both genders are available so it's for both genders!", shove it. I. Fucking. Know that. And honestly? Just because of that, it doesn't mean it's for both genders. I have wanted to say that on every other thread or comment discussing this but because I have the worst memory in existence, I always forgot to mention it. The reason why there are two gender options is because, well, so that everyone can play the game and have variety. Let's just clear that out.

Also, don't be like some of the people on my previous thread and say "children", because "children" is not a gender. Unless you want to claim you are a manchild? Also, Pokemon Adventures wants to have a word with you on that.

With that out of the way, what do you guys personally think is the gender that the main series games are targeted towards? And yes, this only discusses the main games. Not the spin offs, not the show, just the main series games. Althought I'd personally wager the show is for both sides.

As for me, I think the main series games are for both genders… but leans a bit towards males. Because the concept of super powered creatures fighting each other just feels more masculine. And video games in general is considered a guy's thing, so there's that.

Years
    • Seen today
    Haven't felt any bias or lean for any gender. It might not be something they consider much or if at all.

Although regarding the comment about both genders being playable, it does sometimes feel like there's constantly more customization options when playing the girl character.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I don't think Pokémon is geared towards any gender. It doesn't matter if video games are "generally a guy's thing." That doesn't automatically mean that a particular video game is more or less geared towards a certain gender. Pokémon is simply geared towards anybody that loves Pokémon, as it's just not marketed in a way that is targeting a certain gender. That's why Pokémon always had such a big male and female player base. The games contain content that are both male and female friendly and it's a completely gender-neutral game. Nothing in the game focuses entirely on gender specific things and many of the Pokémon designs have characteristics that people of both genders would enjoy, such as feminine looking Pokémon such as Jigglypuff and masculine Pokémon like Grimmsnarl. In some of the games, you can do stuff that might appeal more to females statistically such as cooking and camping with your Pokémon and engaging in Pokémon contests. You can also engage in competitive Pokémon battles, which might appeal more to males statistically. Pokémon is probably the most gender-neutral game out there.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    It's not targeted at any gender. There's plenty of aspects of Pokemon that appeal to both males and females. And it's always been that way. I hate the argument that "Pokemon is for boys" when that's never been true.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Pokemon was created during a time when video game developers very much believed that only boys play video games. It becomes apparent when you remember that it took a while for them to include an alternate female player character.

Things didn't exactly change because they themselves realized that girls like playing video games, too. Instead as people grew older it just became very apparent that that's the case. And the rest is just capitalism at play.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    To add to Megan's answer which I believe to be fairly complete, Pokémon was built to be fantastic bug fighting, a hobby that series creator had as a child, and as a hobby that tends to be skewed male (probably part of the reason Satoshi was into that in the early 1970s Japan, not a place known for a lot of GNC).

Plus, considering Pokemon was the big break of Game Freak in the 90s, the studio was most likely most male and every design decision that could be influenced by gender probably was skewed male.

That said, nowadays I really don't think the games are targeted towards any specific gender. They might end up de facto attracting more boys than girls (or vice versa) but I don't think it's a design consideration any more (if it ever was a conscious design decision and not just men thinking "boy" is the default), specially considering that every gen they seem to add more cute, pink, girly Pokemon.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I think it was definitely targeted toward boys. It made the mistake that so many gaming companies did - especially in the earlier years of gaming - in assuming that video games should be marketed toward boys only. Meanwhile, us girls have always played video games as well.

Younger men/boys originally for sure. There may be more males playing these games than females even nowadays based on the fact that younger men tend to play games more often overall, but the series is absolutely for both genders and girls can love video games too. I think they're doing much better now with being inclusive - there are a lot of nice clothing/style options for female players and we have a lot of varied Pokémon designs to market to everyone too.

Back