• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What is the best way to play this game?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    I know how to actually play the game, just want to know the best and most fun way.

I just bought omega ruby and it is my first pokemon game. I have read that it is possible in pokemon games to just run through the entire game with just your starter pokemon. I don't want that. I want to use different pokemons and have some variety.

How should i go about it? Should i level up every pokemon i catch? What should i do with my starter pokemon? Also, how should i go about the collection process? Should i capture every pokemon in an area right from the start or should i leave it for later?

Please give some tips to make my experience more fun and better.

TEXg715

TEXg
    Years
    Honestly, just catch whatever you find appealing. If you see something and like it, catch it! That's how I usually play. You can do a solo run(finishing the game with just one pokemon), but that's to add challenge to the game. You don't need to catch everything in one go, in fact if you just want to play casually, it's not necessary to catch'em all.

I am repeating myself, but if you find something cool or cute, whichever you like the most, just try your hardest to get.

Also, if you want, you can always nickname your pokemon, to give them some sort of emotional attachment.

Overall, just try to enjoy yourself.

Galho

Morning Bell
    Years
    If you're looking to take the game seriously, i'd recommend you to add as much variety to your party as possible: Lose a bit of time around bulbapedia or some encyclopedic website that gives your info on how types work, and just use the pokedex to look around the types of the pokemon you're catching. Overall, you'll learn how to play the game throughout the main objective: Pokemon League Champion, getting these little head-ups on types and stuff like that can make your experience much easier.

Years
    Like what the others said, it's recommended you balance the types in your team and not overlap. A Water-type is pretty much going to be required since you have to utilize three Water-type HMs over the course of the game.

Also, make sure you train your whole team equally (that's my approach) and not overuse your starter too much. The Exp. Share in this generation affects the entire team and gains EXP after defeating or catching a Pokemon, and while most would want to turn it off for challenge purposes, I'd just recommend you mostly leave it on since you are a new player.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    You should require to catch any water-type or any pokemon that capable learning surf because you really need it to progress, also having any flying-type be handy to flyover any route/cities. Have a diversity in your team and don't be depended on the starter too much, train your other pokemons that you caught (best keep EXP share on since your new)

You'll possible needing a pokemon that can learn:

• Rock Smash: because getting to lavaridge, you'll need pokemon capable of learning because the path was blocked by rock smashable rocks
    • Flash: The victory road can be pretty hard to navigate without this handy TM
    • Waterfall: Yet same requirement for Surf to access Evergrande Cityand Victory Road (Water-type can learn this, but choose what's suits best)
    • Strength moves boulders blocking certain path
    • Cut is optional

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    It really depends on what your preferred play-style is. What you find to be the most enjoyable way to play varies from person to person, which is one of the lovely things about the Pokemon games. Some people like to challenge themselves and go through the entire game with a single Pokemon, others (like myself) just use their favorites. Some people like to stop in each area and collect each Pokemon available there before moving on (I tried doing this myself in Omega Ruby, but gave up about half-way through because I got bored of it xD), some people just blaze through the story and worry about catching them all afterwards, and some people don't care at all about catching them all.

My personal recommendation: use your favorites! Out of the 720 Pokemon currently available in the series, there's bound to be some you like more than others. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire in particular have an enormous variety of Pokemon you can catch right in the game. Like TEXg715 said, if you like it, catch it. Nickname it, treat it well, play some mini-games with it and feed it tasty Pokeblocks in Pokemon Amie, and let it become one of your partners on your quest to become the champion of the Hoenn region. Try out all the different things the game has to offer, like the Pokemon Contests, the Battle Institute, Super Secret Bases, et cetera! Find what you like among the many things the game has to offer and try to make an adventure out of it all :)

Hope you enjoy the games! Feel free to poke the In-Game Quick Questions & Answers thread if you there's ever anything you need help with, and don't feel shy about exchanging friend codes with other people on the forum if you ever want someone to battle or trade with!

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I am currently 4 hours in and got my first badge. Game is fun and i am enjoying. Only problem is that i don't really know about any pokemon in the game. I wish a modern generation 1 pokemon game was made. i would love to capture bulbasaur, squirtle, pikachu and charmender.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I am currently 4 hours in and got my first badge. Game is fun and i am enjoying. Only problem is that i don't really know about any pokemon in the game. I wish a modern generation 1 pokemon game was made. i would love to capture bulbasaur, squirtle, pikachu and charmender.

Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander aren't available in Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire--you'd have to trade them over from X & Y or bring them from a previous generation in order to obtain them in your Omega Ruby game. But you can capture a Pikachu in the Hoenn Safari Zone. You're also given a Cosplay Pikachu fairly early in the game :)

Also, you can always use Serebii or Bulbapedia as a resource to learn more about the Pokemon you're not familiar with.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    It depends, do you want to take the game slow and catch a bunch of Pokemon or just stick to 6 or 7 and fly through the game? Play the game as you'd like to play it and just have fun; that's what I try to do with every game! If it's my first time playing the game, most of the time, I'll try to catch a lot of Pokemon and then choose my favorite to train and then battle the gyms and Elite Four with them. I wouldn't suggest leveling up every Pokemon though if you catch a lot because that would take an unbelievably amount of time.

TEXg715

TEXg
    Years
    You can always play Fire Red or Leaf Green.
    They're older games, but the charm's still there.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    when i play i usually only catch the pokemon i want and not like catch all the pokemon in the game. after i'm done going through the game, i'll go back and catch pokemon to trade and to breed.

Years
    And remember, everyone plays Pokemon differently. Some may be a collector type and catch everything in the game, others may just stick to a set team, some may or may not do the sidequests etc.

Remember, the best experience comes from the way you want to play so do what you enjoy best and you'll make the most of your playthrough, and you can share your progress using the Travel Journal in the section.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Just wanted to ask one thing, what should my evolution strategy be? My mudkip evolved and i let it evolve at level 16? Should i wait for others? What is thr best way to know when to evolve a certain pokemon?

Years
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Just wanted to ask one thing, what should my evolution strategy be? My mudkip evolved and i let it evolve at level 16? Should i wait for others? What is thr best way to know when to evolve a certain pokemon?

Well, some people treat evolution differently, such as wanting to hold off so a certain move is learned. With stone-based evolutions it's natural many try and wait for a specific move before evolution since most tend to not learn any new moves by level-up, although there are some that still learn moves (such as Lilligant or Whimsicott) so that makes you want to put extra thoughts.

For Pokemon that naturally evolve by level, I just let them evolve at that level.

Back