• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favourite Studio Ghibli film?

Favourite Movie (in release date order {North American})

• Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliosto

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Grave of the Fireflies

• My Neighbour Totoro

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Kiki's Delivery Service

• Only Yesterday

• Porco Rosso

• Ocean Waves/I Can Hear the Sea

• Pom Poko

• Whisper of the Heart

• Princess Mononoke

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas

• Spirited Away

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • The Cat Returns

• Howl's Moving Castle

• Ponyo and the Cliff by the Sea (don't vote until tomorrow)

• Tales of Earthsea (don't vote until 2010 unless you watched the subbed version)

• Total voters

A Pixy

Cruel?
Years
  • As the title states, what's you're favourite movie from Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata's legendary animation studio.

Is it the pre-Studio Ghibli original Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind? Or how about the movie that's on the logo, My Neighbor Totoro and the one is bound with, Grave of the Fireflies? The Oscar winning Spirited Away? The not released here until 2010 Tales from Earthsea? The recent Howl's Moving Castle? Or maybe you can't decide until you watch Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea? Or maybe even the quirky but awesome My Neighbors the Yamadas?

Me?

Well, it rolled down to Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Both are here because, well, deciding your favourite movie in the Studio Ghibli franchise is like deciding which conjoined twin is going to live and which one is going to die because there's only enough brain for one. And it rolled right down to Laputa.

I'd go on and on about how the action scenes were awesome, how the animation was beautiful as always and how they made me feel when a robot died. But I think you probably know why.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I haven't seen all of them yet, but I plan on seeing Ponyo sometime in the near future. My favorite is probably Princess Mononoke. I was surprised on how maturely the environmental message was handled. It wasn't totally one sided, which is usually what you see from Miyazaki.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Yep, I'd have too say Princess Mononoke too. The action was intense. Also, another personal favourite of mine would have to be Grave of the Fireflies. The message in that movie was clear as day and it was also very touching. I think these two were one of the first anime movies that I watched (subbed) excluding Pokemon.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Tonari no Totoro is probably my favourite~ I've seen quite a lot of these films but Totoro is the main one that sticks in my mind.

Hotaru

Nostalgia Strikes Again
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2011
    Grave of the Fireflies is definitely my favorite Studio Ghibli film. It's so sad, but it's a really powerful movie. The name in Japanese, Hotaru no Haka, is actually what prompted this username of mine. :)

Howl's Moving Castle also has a special place in my heart, and I hope to see Ponyo soon. :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Grave of the Fireflies was overwhelmingly moving, but I LOVED x3 My Neighbor Totoro for its charm and enchantment.

Bay

Years
  • My favorite is My Neighbor Totoro. It was actually my favorite movie when I was a kid. I loved the characters, the music, and Totoro. Oh, don't forget the cat bus! :P

I watched Spirited Away and it's a very good movie and nice art, but some parts are a bit weird to me. XD;

Lo-chan

Seme Dara will get you :o
    Years
  • Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service were so cute~ <3 Love those movies, too bad I don't own them =[

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • For me it's a tie between My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies, just love them both. And Howl's Moving Castle gets an honorable mention, because I just loved Miyazaki's interpretation of the world.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Well, I heard Howl's Moving Castle was pretty good and I'm going to watch it in my English class.
    But my favorite would be Kiki's Delivery Service.
    I really love Kiki, shes so cute!! xD

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Spirited Away, closesly followed by Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Monoke.

Aurajade

Loving NGE!
    Years
  • Nassuica or Princess Monooke.
    It was made in the Year I was born.
    The action was intese and it made me cry.

Laputa as well.
    I love anna Paquin!

Uh, whats with this 2010 earthsea?
    I've watched the Real-dubbed version two years ago.
    And I have it.

Last edited:

Drawicia

the artist of evil
    Years
  • Castle in the Sky was my fave. it had such a beautiful plot, i never get tired of watching it.
    i also liked Whisper of the Heart and the Cat Returns

Back