• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What mistakes have you made?

Razgrey

Excalibur
    Years
    Sometimes, we've screwed up. Everyone makes mistakes and nobody is perfect.
    And now we're gonna talk about mistakes, whether it was unintentional or with regret.

In a playthrough of FireRed I inadvertently made my Charizard an HM Slave without even knowing what that actually was.
    Cut, Fly, Dig, and Fire Blast.
    And yes I did unlearn Charizard's ultimate attack, Blast Burn.
    And that Charizard became a Level 100 from the result of using Cut on random Smeargles.

Years
    Well Blast Burn is a rubbish move so it's good that you forgot it.

I don't remember much from my first playthrough, but my strategy then was to pick a team of my favourite Pokémons, teaching them random moves without any regard to STAB, BP or whether they were physical or special. I had to overlevel a lot and use things like Potions to get through the game. I also had no idea what any of those stats (except HP) meant.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
    I was very young and I had a hard time understanding this amount of English at the time and I didn't have a manual or anything, so it took a lot of trial and error. I couldn't get past Slateport for soooooooo long and I didn't even know what Save does, but it was a fun experience and I think it really helped improve my English vocabulary.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    Hmm, this happened because it was my very first Pokémon game. In Pokémon Platinum, when I was little, I loved playing with my Empoleon. I could defeat all gyms easily, but when I got to the Elite Four, I struggled so much .... All because my Empoleon was overleveled, but my other Pokémon were like , at level 18. Worse than that, my Empoleon was LITERALLY an HM Slave. I actually CRIED because I couldn't defeat the Campion, so I asked my cousin for help and he defeated it... After that incident, my cousin said " Your Pokémon should all be around the same level. Let's say you can't have any Pokémon more than 3 levels below your strongest one." Now, I never desobey this rule XD

Years
    First time I ever played Emerald I used my Master Ball on an Oddish, when I realised my error I was horrified. I then had to use countless Ultra Balls to try and get Rayquaza.

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
    Another thing was just rare candying my Pokemon to level 100 because I really, really lacked the patience to train. That was also a bad idea, considering that they were awfully weak.

idk I was an awful trainer when I was a kid ok.

I still do this on my hacked Black Version sometimes... Except that then I spam vitamins on them and actually do the EVs right.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    My first Pokemon game was Black Version, and I only paid attention to my Serperior. I didn't care about my other Pokemon because Serperior swept through all the gyms with Leaf Blade in a pinch. Then when the Elite 4 came around, ooh boy did I fail a thousand times. I had the worst time fighting the Ghost one's Chandelure because it was part fire. And also, Serperior had hardly any advantages over any of the E4..

So I went out and threw my Master Ball at Cobalion because, gee, a legendary, it's bound to get me through! Then I learned it was weak the Chandelure I was trying to beat. Sigh.

But I got through it eventually, caught Reshiram, had a real hard time with the Final Bosses, and only post game did I get the Volcarona egg and Virizion.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    I once reset my Pearl game because I thought the green Onix meant that the game glitched.

Don't worry, the glares I got from my friends when I told them instantly said to me I had a monumental mistake.

Years
    One day I made a fail,

It was on Silver / Gold so Gen 2 Pokémons. I was on the cave where we catch Lugia, I got spamed by wild Gravelers, each time i chose 'run' and I didn't notice at a moment, a shiny Gravaler poped, I quit the battle too quickly and just after I realized it was a shiny.

Lunarly

(●´ω`●)
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 2, 2019
    When I was still new to Pokemon. I did not know that there were Pokemon that evlved with stones. So I finished my Pokemon Ruby with a Level 70 Vulpix and everytime it leveled, I'd be like it's gonna evolve it now (I grinded that Vulpix a lot fyi). It was until I bought the guidebook that I realized I needed a Fire Stone.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
    I got a mewtwo and I thought I could ev train it at lvl 100. I trained it to lvl 100, then found out lvl 100 pokes cannot be EV'd! ;-(

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Even though I have played Pokemon for many years I admit I at times forget what things typing are. Until recently I was adamant Chimecho was a steel type (It's Psychic) and that I occasionally forget Magnezone has the Levitate ability.

Also in a shiny filled X run (I found a Shiny Golett, Two Shiny Gibles and a Shiny Magikarp pre Elite 4) I ran into a Shiny Electrode in the Lost Hotel. I had a Master Ball but asked Gardevoir to use Hypnosis. It missed and Electrode duly exploded...Should have used the Master Ball. It's my only failed Shiny encounter.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    when i played crystal when i was like 10 or younger idek how old i was but i was so dumb and thought miltank evolved into magby bcos magby came after it in the pokedex and i levelled my miltank up to level 100 and i was so dumb

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
    When I first played pokemon Yellow I had no idea how to use pokeballs until I used one on Brock's Geodude

Hey! That old, drunk guy in Viridian didn't teach you?

when i played crystal when i was like 10 or younger idek how old i was but i was so dumb and thought miltank evolved into magby bcos magby came after it in the pokedex and i levelled my miltank up to level 100 and i was so dumb

Seriously! I had a hearty laugh for half-an-hour after I read about you guys' mistakes, and I still can't stop!

Back