• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokémon is the ham for sandwiches made out of?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Apparently, when having a picnic with your Pokémon, you have the option to make them ham sandwiches. However, that meat has to come from somewhere! The Emboar line maybe, considering that we haven't seen them in a while since Pokémon went to the Nintendo Switch? Is the Grumpig line? We haven't seen them in a while either, I don't think. Don't tell me it's the Mamoswine line. Is it maybe the new Pokémon Lechonk is used for cold cuts? Surely I can't be the only person that thought this when I saw ham, right?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Probably Lechonk. Seems like relatively easy pickings. Consists of mostly muscle, not fat (according to the official Scarlet/Violet page). Presumes that to be better for meat. (Is not an expert on meat. Defers to someone more knowledgeable.)

Could be the same source as Sword/Shield's "Sausages", also. Almost has to be an import, given few native pigs and cows on mainland Galar.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Probably Lechonk. Seems like relatively easy pickings. Consists of mostly muscle, not fat (according to the official Scarlet/Violet page). Presumes that to be better for meat. (Is not an expert on meat. Defers to someone more knowledgeable.)

Could be the same source as Sword/Shield's "Sausages", also. Almost has to be an import, given few native pigs and cows on mainland Galar.

People eating Pokémon isn't disturbing to you?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    People eating Pokémon isn't disturbing to you?

No more than in real-life. Is not surprised by people eating pigs, chickens, cows, and fish. Why would people eating pig-like, chicken-like, cow-like, and fish-like Pokemon be strange? Introduced a lot of food-themed Pokemon too. Refuses to believe no one ever tried to eat an Alcremie, Vanillite, or Slurpuff. Would be more jarring for someone to eat a Meowth, though.

Might have been desensitized to the concept early with the anime.

Spoiler: Magikarp Dinner

What Pokémon is the ham for sandwiches made out of?

Consists of mostly skin and bones, however.

Plus things like Slowpoketails. Sells Smoke-Poke Tails in Sword/Shield, by the way. Never implies butchering it, though.

Also never showed any kind of normal animal in Pokemon. Doubts all humans in the Pokemon world being vegetarian. Why were there be so many Fishermen otherwise? How many people are going to fall for the 500 Pokedollars for a Magikarp scam?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    No more than in real-life. Is not surprised by people eating pigs, chickens, cows, and fish. Why would people eating pig-like, chicken-like, cow-like, and fish-like Pokemon be strange?

Because the series portrays Pokémon as friends, sidekicks, and/or pets of humans. They also seem to be much more intelligent than animals in the real world, almost human like in a way. I just find it weird that, despite all that, Pokémon could also be served as food in the Pokémon world. I just find it strange how there is a feature that allows you to bond with your Pokémon while having a picnic while . . . eating Pokémon as well. It's just so strange to me. I preferred the concept of eating berries and curry to be honest. Knowing that people eat meat in the Pokémon world is just unsettling to me.

Introduced a lot of food-themed Pokemon too. Refuses to believe no one ever tried to eat an Alcremie, Vanillite, or Slurpuff.

They probably might can be tasted in different ways without actually killing them though and serving them. I'm sure they produce cake, ice cream, or cotton candy on their own merit in some way without being served themselves as food.

Would be more jarring for someone to eat a Meowth, though.

Definitely!

Might have been desensitized to the concept early with the anime.

Yeah, there were a lot of references to people eating Pokémon in the early series, but they toned that down over time.

Plus things like Slowpoketails. Sells Smoke-Poke Tails in Sword/Shield, by the way. Never implies butchering it, though.

Yep, that's what I was about to say. Slowpoke Tail is nutritious, delicious, and the best part is that you don't have to kill the Slowpoke. It just grows back!

Also never showed any kind of normal animal in Pokemon.

Well, the early anime did show a few normal animals, but the anime did away with this over time. It was also explained by official sources that normal animals did exist, but they were basically replaced by Pokémon.

Doubts all humans in the Pokemon world being vegetarian.

It seems like it though. Pokémon Sword and Shield make it seem as if most people ate curry and berries. I actually prefer that concept over people being meat eaters in the Pokémon world.

Why were there be so many Fishermen otherwise?

I'm assuming that the Fishers in the Pokémon world fish because they're Pokémon trainers and want to train as many Water-type Pokémon that can be caught with rods as possible.

How many people are going to fall for the 500 Pokedollars for a Magikarp scam?

James from Team Rocket every time he sees the scammer.

Years
    I am betting it is likely a Lechonk. I do not think that any animals like in our world exist in the series, or if they did they got replaced with Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    I always wondered what animal or Pokemon was being used when they showed people eating meat in the tv series.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    There's a surprising amount of food-themed Pokémon revealed for SV already and it makes everything just a bit weirder in a fascinating way. The implications are so fun to dig at! Definitely think ham is Lechonk (or its evo?) tho, like- your other options are the Spoink line and the Tepig line, right? Or, as many people like to explain it away, lab-grown meat.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I am almost certain it is Lechonk's evolution. I also don't find it weird that pokemon are food. The only reason they have personality in the anime is so the show is good. But that has never been the depiction that pokemon were supposed to be. Some pokemon would be weird to eat, but it has been confirmed that we eat Vanillite, at least parts of it all the time. I mean humans drink Miltank's Milk as well so pokemon are just replacing animals.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I am almost certain it is Lechonk's evolution. I also don't find it weird that pokemon are food. The only reason they have personality in the anime is so the show is good. But that has never been the depiction that pokemon were supposed to be. Some pokemon would be weird to eat, but it has been confirmed that we eat Vanillite, at least parts of it all the time. I mean humans drink Miltank's Milk as well so pokemon are just replacing animals.

There's a surprising amount of food-themed Pokémon revealed for SV already and it makes everything just a bit weirder in a fascinating way. The implications are so fun to dig at! Definitely think ham is Lechonk (or its evo?) tho, like- your other options are the Spoink line and the Tepig line, right? Or, as many people like to explain it away, lab-grown meat.

So what would happen if you were to feed a Lechonk a ham sandwich then? Wouldn't that be even weirder? lol

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    uh oh now we're in the moral quandary of cannibalism and imposing human view on animals/pokemon....

but! i do know that pigs pretty much eat whatever; they're omnivores. chickens do the same tbh, you gotta make sure you dont put eggs in your kitchen scraps or youll teach them to eat their own. at the point of processing and cooking, though, its generally pretty whatever to feed your animals bits of what you eat. at least thats what my grandparents say lmao

is it weird? especially to us? yeah.... but nature is nature or something right?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Expects Lechonk to not eat a ham sandwich. Sounds like an herbivore in its description.

Lechonk uses its sense of smell to find and eat only the most fragrant wild grasses and the richest Berries. As a result of its dining habits, it has come to radiate an aroma resembling herbs that bug Pokémon dislike.

Doubts Gamefreak to have programmed in Herbivore, Omnivore, or Carnivore for picnics, though. Would be an interesting little addition, in terms of character.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Expects Lechonk to not eat a ham sandwich. Sounds like an herbivore in its description.

Doubts Gamefreak to have programmed in Herbivore, Omnivore, or Carnivore for picnics, though. Would be an interesting little addition, in terms of character.

I agree. That would be interesting, but unlikely. I'm sure Lechonk would definitely be enjoying those ham sandwiches in picnics. lol

Back