• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What style of mapping permmisions do you use?

What style do you use?

• Total voters

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
    I want to know what style of mapping permissions do you personally use. I think there are 3 styles of mapping permissions and I've listed them below with pictures. What is your style? My style is security.

I'll use an edited Route 3 as the main map. As you can see I added a simple mountain. Nothing fancy, as it's just an example.

I'll focus on just the mountain part. You can ignore the surroundings.

Style #1 - Perfection

Perfection is when every single (Or almost every) tile has it's normal, correct permission, even if that area is NOT accessible. As you can see, the top of mountain is passable even though you can never reach there.

Style #2 - Security

Security is when tiles that normally are walkable, have a different permission, usually a '1'. In the picture, you see the mountain is not passable, even places that are suppose to be passable, aren't. This style ensures if you make a mistake somewhere, the player can't get too far into the mountain.

Style #3 - Cheapness

Cheapness is when you border only whats necessary and leave the rest how it is. This style is the riskiest as if you leave only one space un-border'd, the player can roam all the places that are suppose to be blocked off.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I want to know what style of mapping permissions do you personally use. I think there are 3 styles of mapping permissions and I've listed them below with pictures. What is your style?
    Cheapness. It may sound weird, but because I'm a perfectionist, even if I do it in that cheap style, there's no way I would ever make a mistake big enough to let a player walk on a mountain or anything like that.

Last edited:

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
    Cheapness (actually even more cheap than what you showed lol.)It may sound weird, but because I'm a perfectionist, even if I do it in that cheap style, there's no way I would ever make a mistake big enough to let a player walk on a mountain or anything like that.

Oh I forgot to mention my style. My style is security. I block off any tile that isn't normally accessible. ^_^ I'll add it to the first post.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I start off with cheapness, but I always middle click and fill it in.
    I have destroyed plenty of my maps like that :'(

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
    I Map Very Seldom...
    But I Use Security...
    Mainly Because I Start by out lining it...
    Then I Find Myself Filling in the blanks...
    Its A Habit I Guess...

TehBazzard

Main creator of FireRed+
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2009
    I go with Security, just because I tend to make mistakes semi-often.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    simi-scerity and semi-perfection for something I am pretty much a perfectionist if there is a tree you cant get to I sill make the top part walkable also I use D and 9 sometimes for statues or a small building D and 9 are like 1 but you can move a little bit into it
    also for rocks and montans I never use 10's I only use 10's for bridges I find it useless for montans

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    I go with security just because I find movement permissions fun ^__^. I'd probably go with cheapness otherwise though. I mean no one can tell what movement permissions are in-game so why bother?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    Man, I can't tell you how long I've been waiting to boast about how seriously I take movement permissions :P
    Well, that is, unless using the correct movement permissions actually creates more bugs than using the "Security" or "Cheapness" method. For example, even if you are on a higher platform than the lowest one, using the byte "10" will show the player's sprite on top of all blocks, even over the top layer (which creates problems with trees and other blocks that you should be able to pass behind). Also, if you put anything but '0C' on a tall grass tile, it creates problems with the player's sprite as well.
    But I mainly try to keep things as perfect as possible.

Years
    I'm a security mainly because i just cant leave the tiles blank they call to me to be clicked on and because i really don't know all the movement options yet.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
    I go with perfection, just because I'm a perfectionist. Plus, sometimes I like just looking at it and seeing all of the different colors.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    If my map has an accessible mountain, then I'll use perfection.
    If none, then I simply use security...

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    I use perfection and cheapness. Sometimes I focus on a map and use cheapness, but when I actually put a map in a game I use perfection.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I'm cheap, so.. :D

I do use the proper permissions when I have to, though; working with mountain levels and bridges and the like.

Back