• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film What was the last movie you watched?

Years
  • The Little Mermaid (2023) live-action remake

I liked it a lot. I think Rob Marshall did a good job as a director making the deep sea come alive, even though it's cg, the colors of the marinelife are eye-popping and the mermaids and their tails look otherworldly. The aesthetic reminds me a bit of my favorite children's book Susa Scalora's The Fairies.

It's faithful to the original Disney movie, with just a few nice touches to give the character of Eric and Ariel a little more development. I especially appreciated having a more thoughtful Ariel who expresses greater doubt about her choice than she did in the 89 animation, and seems to learn from her surroundings in the human world, and finds ways of being proactive, while still not changing the essence of her character, which is youthful and trusting.

Halle Bailey is perfect in the part. She looks beautiful, innocent and fey, and is an expressive, natural actress with a bright screen presence and strong, femine soulful singing voice. No haters can tell me orherwise.

If you enjoy the original at all and are open to Disney recent trend of remaking live action versions of their animated classics, then I think this movie should be considered a solid complement to the old one.

Years
  • Oppenheimer. The friends I went to the movies with said it was really good, but to me it was just watchable, and I think could have been better. I think I might have been happier in Barbie.

To start with something good, I think Cillian Murphy played the role very well, as he always does, and there were some good supporting performances too, notably by Robert Downey Jr and Matt Damon. But the first half of for movie in my opinion was a pretty run-of-the-mill biopic showing Oppenheimer's days as a student, his personality, love life and family, about like The Theory of Everything or A Beautiful Mind, but with both a longer run time and more graphic sex scenes than necessary. I got tired of all the cute dialogue, it wasn't what I came for, and the pacing didn't pick up for me until the Manhattan project advanced, then I did get some of the feeling of suspense of having been there on the research team in the final days.

My biggest criticism of the film is that it's just too sanitized. Hollywood omitted the Native American and Latino people living in Los Alamos, who were forced off their land overnight so the government could build the test site, and how they were then exploited for cheap labor handling the deadly radioactive substances. We also never see any civilians burned and atomized in Hiroshima and Nagasaki or the radiation victims in the aftermath. We just hear numbers and see abstract images of the sky. The film has more than enough slick style, but I think some brutal reality would have done a greater service to the people who suffered, and to Oppenheimer by accurately portraying what he felt responsible for.

Now while the first storyline of the movie was not as impressive to me as it was to a lot of people, I actually enjoyed the second half of the movie much better that focused on the way Oppenheimer tried to use his voice to oppose the nuclear arms race between the U.S and the USSR, and was targeted for this during the McCarthy Era. I'm probably the odd one out in thinking that the senate hearings were done better than the explosions, but I appreciated how authentic it was to the historical record and highlighted some details that aren't as commonly known. I didn't know who Lewis Strauss was for instance before seeing this film, and liked hearing a true story that I had not heard told before. I also think that the later part of the movie is where the film's greatest strength, the acting, shines the most.

So all in all, I thought it was okay, the last part being the saving grace for me, but think more detail of war itself would have made it truly special.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Kundo Age of Rampant

It's a good story. I liked it, the ensemble of colorful characters, cutthroat violence, spattered with some surreal moments of humor, course language and spaghetti western style music remind of a Quentin Tarantino film. I thought Gang-Dong was an especially unforgettable antagonist, and really liked the way that they choreographed his martial arts sequences, he moves in such an interesting way. He has an magnetic screen presence while only rarely needing to even raise his voice, quiet, deadly and what he will do is not always what you might predict. As much as I want to hate him for his atrocities, he's not all black and white either, and kudos for communicating all that and more.

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
    Years
  • I watched Puss in Bots - The Last Wish. It was a blast watch it, so i can say is my favorite movie.

Gosh, i wish Jack Horner and Death had more participation in this movie, but i enjoyed every second when they appeared in scene :D

Years
  • Killers of the Flower Moon

I was not previously familiar with the historical events or novel that inspired this movie, but it does seem like a story worth telling. As much as I want to like this, the slow pacing made it only so-so for me. The acting on everyone's part was flawless though. It might be the best performance I have ever seen from Leonardo Dicaprio, Robert DeNiro is always a pleasure to watch and this was my first time watching Lily Gladstone- glad to know of her now, because I think her performance was wonderful and touching. The dialogue and production design seemed consistent with the times, I appreciated how much of the Osage nation language was incorporated, also that touch of dark humor from the scheming characters left me with some nice Goodfellas vibes, my only beef is just the drawn-out run time. I feel that the editing could have been tightened to under 3 1/2 hours, while still encompassing all the important details.

Years
  • Wolfwalkers (2020)

Another of Cartoon Saloon's amazing films. Wolfwalkers tells the story of a wolf hunter and his apprentice daughter Robyn who are sent to Ireland to kill every remaining wolf. Robyn meets a local girl who changes the way she views nature forever.

It is honestly such a beautiful film. If you like Celtic mythology and folklore, or wolves, or nature, or even just incredible animated films, then I can't recommend it enough.

Years
  • Reign of Fire (2002)

Dragons, dragons, oh and more dragons... how had I not seen this?!!!

Well, I'm glad I watched it finally... but it really wasn't as good as I'd heard.

While the the likes of Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey, and Izabella Scorupco have top billing, the best performance in the film for me was a smaller role with Gerard Butler stealing the show.

If you like fantasy films, I do honestly recommend watching it once, just don't get your hopes up.

Years
  • Matilda the Musical (2022)

After watching an 80's fantasy film that left me in a pretty bad state (I had to add a LOT to doesthedogdie after watching it) I needed something to cheer me up.

Matilda the Musical was the perfect choice! I have wanted to see it for ages - I was supposed to see it in the cinema when it came out but unfortunately I was too ill to go.

Some of the songs in the film are fantastic, some are...not so good, but in all honesty it's just a fun take on Matilda that doesn't even need the songs to work as a film, they are merely a wonderful bonus!

Before watching it, I had doubts about some of the casting. Besides the Emma Thompson controversy, I couldn't imagine Lashana Lynch playing Miss Honey. I am delighted to say I was wrong and she was absolutely fantastic!!! Stephen Graham as Mr Wormwood was also an inspired choice imo.

If you like Matilda, or musicals, then you will enjoy it!

Years
  • The FNAF movie.

God did I hate the police officer character. I didn't realize she was a character from the Security Breach game. I thought she was an OC that managed to get in the movie.

Scizor V

"Whatever happens, happens."
    Years
  • at the theater Wish on thanks giving day -- I didn't like it, my brother did. Nothing comes to mind that was memorable.

at home princess and the bride we only watched it because we saw it on a marquee in downtown that they were going to do a special screening-- we rented it. Its slooow paced if I grew up with it, I can see nostalgia kicking in. I did like some of the lines montoya had & his backstory-- a prequel would be good.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I just spent yesterday watching all 3 How To Train Your Dragon movies. Just a group of movies I have DVRd to watch later when I want or when there's nothing good on TV.

Years
  • Oppenheimer (2023)

I know everyone and their brother has already praised this film; but this has to be my movie of the year. Nolan does an absolutely incredible job of showing off the flawed and complicated character of Oppenheimer in a compelling and (to my understanding) fairly accurate manner, from his youthful idealism at Cambridge, to his political activism, to his role in making the bomb as well as his later efforts to constrain his creation. I just found it a really compelling movie. There's a nice juxtaposition between the first half, which strikes a more optimistic, wondrous tone as Groves and co gather all the most brilliant minds to create the atomic bomb; and the second half, which feels stuffy and claustrophobic as Oppenheimer tries to maneuver his way into getting his security clearance renewed while dealing with the potential consequences of his creation.

Back