• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film What was the last movie you watched?

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2020
    I was just watching the Teen Titans GO movie with my family during dinner (here I am throwing a not-so-serious movie into the thread). I honestly have no dislike for the movie, seeing as how they finally give Slade an actual role, he had none during the series. My favorite part though has to be when the titans were in the middle of a song, driving, and accidentally ran over the singer. They ran out of the car and Cyborg said "I think his dad is a cop! Run!". So horrible, but I couldn't help it.

pkmin3033

...oh dear. Ohhhhh dear. I knew I wasn't going to like this, but I didn't anticipate just how...awkward, that watching it was going to be. They made a lot of little changes, and none of them were really for the better. The dialogue is lacking the bite that it had in the original; there's nothing here for an older audience to really smile about, beyond the fact that they kept a lot of it the same. But there are no clever references, no tongue-in-cheek wit, and honestly the movie felt a bit directionless, because Mewtwo isn't really as...menacing, as it was in the original. It was pretty intent on conquering the world in the original, but after going through an existential crisis in this which could have made the movie a lot better if they'd focused on it...what? What was the point of the rest of it? Maybe I'm picking holes for the sake of it, but the dialogue changes they made to make Mewtwo sound less threatening made the movie feel...pointless, honestly.

That said, I think the CGI in Pokemon in this are what they ought to look like in the games if they're going to pursue the 3D models. The Switch is definitely capable of it, and as AWFUL as the human characters look - seriously, they're digusting, hideous, horrifying, etc - the Pokemon don't look too bad. Better than the nightmare fuel that was in Detective Pikachu, at the very least. A happy middle ground between the shitty 3D models they've been recycling since the 3DS games and the nightmare fuel they used in the live action movie.

...and what happened to the music?! They could have at least kept the movie's orchestral score.

This feels very much like the Pokemon equivalent of live action Disney...I mean, it's not live action, but Detective Pikachu was better than this, and it had a much weaker source material. Sigh. I hope they don't remake any other Pokemon movies in this style...more like Devolution, tbh. Hahaha.

wander55

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2020
    Rise of Skywalker - 9/10

I liked the saga, some films were just disappointing but I enjoyed the universe it creates. This film was predictable, plot holes but I loved it. Fun throughout and lots of throwbacks. Looking forward to watching it again

wander55

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2020
    Zombieland: Double-Tap

Not as good as the first, but still some entertaining moments. I actually liked Madison the most. (freaked out she is Lea Thompson's daughter) 5/10

Years
  • On the planes the other day I watched:

Frozen 2: alright, not as good as the first one.
    Maleficent - The Mistress of Evil: I think I like it about the same as the first.
    Greta: A creepy psychological movie, pretty decent actually.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Unbreakable (2000)

I've only ever seen small parts of it before! It was surprisingly good. I wish I could skip Split but I guess we'll watch that before Glass just because.

Years
  • Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the sea. I remember it being solid, but it was actually really great to see again. I have such a crush on Lizbeth. The climax in the temple is so suspenseful, this is one of Ash's bravest feats. It's also such a beautiful ending, stunning visuals. Somehow watching it in Japanese just made it better, maybe I just liked Jacky's Seiyu a bit more. Anyway I think this Pokemon movie is really good and underrated. The Rise of Darkrai is still my favorite, but this one is probably in the top 3.

Years
  • Swallow (2019) was the last one I watched that wasn't a rerun of anything.

It tackled the idea mental illness pretty well. I ain't gonna spoil anything, just know that the movie title doesn't mean the bird (like I initially thought lmao).

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Uri: The Surgical Strike (Hey, if you're clicking this, then I'd say you better switch on closed captions). The best Bollywood movie in existence (at least, in my opinion) because it isn't the same old cringy 'hero beats up a villain who kidnaps girlfriend and dances to ten songs on the way' thing (No exaggeration - story writers somehow bring up a thousand versions of the same thing). Uri has none of those, probably because it's based on real-life incidents. It does have music, but not dances...just background music. And the acting was good too.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
    I only finally watched the Sergio Leone / Clint Eastwood / Ennio Morricone western trilogy for the first time a few years ago. Then recently I've watched them out of order as they've dropped off Netflix over the last 6 months. Its strange as a loosely connected trilogy in that technically each one is a prequel (although Lee van Cleef plays completely different characters), and each one is better than the last. Oh, and that Clint Eastwood isn't really the lead in the 2nd and 3rd ones (although he probably has slightly more screen time in the 2nd and about equal to Eli Wallach in the 3rd). The music in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is iconic, but the previous two (and Once Upon a Time in the West) have great scores too.
    Sometimes a film doesn't hold up after a re-watch but this one arguably gets better each time (although once you know when you're watching the scenes where both lead actors are nearly killed, the production techniques haven't aged as well). Obviously the opening theme and everything from once 'The Ecstasy of Gold' starts playing are brilliant, but I found the bridge sequence moved me more this time around, although I dread when cyber-fascists discover the Union prison based on Andersonville and start using that to support their backwards views. This one is funnier than I remembered too, definitely the funniest of the bunch. In the modern day you'd get a lot of criticism for casting a guy whose middle name is Herschel as a Mexican, but Eli Wallach is great.
    I haven't watched it in years, keep waiting for it to come back onto a streaming platform as less legal methods tend to leave you without subtitles if you try to watch on an actual tv, but The Good, the Bad, the Weird, a South Korean film obviously inspired by this one, is a great watch. Its modern, so a lot faster-paced (and 40 minutes shorter), and has a couple of South Korean stars who will be recognisable to western audiences courtesy of G.I. Joe and Parasite. In particular there's a sequence with a train that I just love.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Captain Marvel on Disney+...The first time I saw it, it kinda just fell into "eh, pretty good, I guess" territory for me, but wow, it's better the second time around. So much that hits different when you know the truth...

Years
  • Spiderman: Into the spiderverse

When I was a kid I LOVED the Toby McGuire films and spider man in general. I heard this movie was really good, so I thought I'd give it a shot, and I really enjoyed it. The visuals and story telling are amazing, and the characters were all interesting and memorable. Would definitely recommend it if you've never seen it.

Years
  • I watched a film called 'Fractured' last night over Facetime with my gf, she suggested it and we committed despite the 'meh' reviews. It was decent though, about a man who admitted his daughter to hospital with a fractured arm, and then there is no recollection of her or his wife ever being there once they've gone for a scan. It keeps you guessing the whole way through, and I'd give it around a 7/10 maybe!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    We rewatched Hunger Games the other day, the first one. It really is a well made movie with an interesting setting. Keen to watch the other three as well now, even if I think I like the first one best.

Years
  • Tonight I watched Uncut Gems, the Netflix film with Adam Sandler. I wasn't too hooked from the trailer and synopsis, and honestly, the first 20-25 minutes doesn't really grip you. But it get's really good, just the way the film is acted and constructed, it gives you a rush and immerses you really well. Plus I did not see the ending coming!

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NJ
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    does the mortal kombat scorpion's revenge anime movie count?

onfriends

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2020
    last thing i watched is few episodes of Friends . im pretty sure there are lots of friends fans here as well !

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    The BFG (1989)

I never got around to seeing it as a child, though it did interest me after seeing a bumper for it on VHS. I remember it's ending theme in hindsight.

The Whizzpopping song reminded me of that floating scene in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

I've read somewhere recently that the author did like how this movie turned out, which meant my time was well-spent.

Years
  • Last night I watched Disney's live action adaptation of Aladdin with my girlfriend and actually really enjoyed it! I'm not completely up to speed with the new live action Disney films but this one was great and Will Smith was amazing as the genie :)

Back