• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What was your pokemon team with which you completed the adventure for the first time?

Years
Ok, this is a question that I like to ask my friends. the fourth generation is my favorite, and I would like to know about your experiences!

I had played the Sapphire version a few months before and a friend gave me the Diamond version, so my knowledge in the type strengths/weaknesses table was not good at all, and I remember that when I faced Cynthia for the first time and saw that she did not have a single type of pokemon it was a big shock to me! I think it goes without saying that between her Garchomp and her Spiritomb my team had no chance... however, I kept the same team from beginning to end, only changing some in case I needed a specific HM at some point. So this would be my pokemon team with which I completed the adventure:

-Empoleon
-Luxray
-Staraptor
-Roserade
-Glaceon (Thanks to my friend giving me an Eevee after he helped him get a Spiritomb)
-Abomasnow (I used to have a Lopunny, but look for an Abomasnow just to defeat Cynthia's Garchomp)

Years
Pokémon Diamond was my very first game and my cousin introduced me to Pokemon games. I was 7 at that time. He often helped me, resulting in me not really paying attention to some things. For example, I had no idea that u could use the PC to get the pokemon you caught lol. So, I was like "I shouldn't catch any more pokemon". I did the whole story with my Empoleon, who basically was also my HM slave (Surf, strength, rock smash, cut). Beating the League wasn't a thing indeed. I could only count on my Empoleon, but I never managed to get past Lucian. And btw, I didn't use to save and restart the game from the last point lol. Everytime I lost, I started back and this is how I got my Empoleon to level 100 lol. Also, I didn't want to use items, so I just didn't. The rest of my team was bidoof, Abra, staraptor and idk the rest maybe budew. Anyway, I had no solutions left and my cousin helped me giving me a level 100 Charizard and a level 100 Meganium with Hyper beam and whatever. He got them with cheats btw and that's how I "managed" to beat the league.
Empoleon, Meganium, Charizard, bidoof, staraptor and idk. Btw I also remember that once I got to the pokemon day care, i left there my Zubat and i basically forgot him for the whole adventure. When I found out how to use the PC (and finally get to use Dialga lol), I could get my Zubat back and it was like 40+ levels more lmao. Then he evolved into golbat and quite soon to crobat.
My first pokemon run was really messed up, but I learned quite much and indeed in later games, I got more prepared to Lucian and Cynthia and enjoyed the game even more. Gen 4 is my fav, so I don't even know how many times I replayed it. I think platinum at least 5-6 times. I don't remember the teams at all, but I ALWAYS choose Empoleon, for the rest I often stick with Staraptor and Luxray. Rest of the team is pretty interchangeable. I had a recent run on platinum and I m at the last gym where I wanted to try new Pokemon.
My team is: Empoleon, Blissey, Raichu, Crobat, Gallade, Houndoom. Team is pretty alright, Blissey wasn't so easy to level up and also had pretty bad moves. So, idk if I'll complete the run but I m curious to see how my team would do against the League.

Years
Pokémon Diamond was my very first game and my cousin introduced me to Pokemon games. I was 7 at that time. He often helped me, resulting in me not really paying attention to some things. For example, I had no idea that u could use the PC to get the pokemon you caught lol. So, I was like "I shouldn't catch any more pokemon". I did the whole story with my Empoleon, who basically was also my HM slave (Surf, strength, rock smash, cut). Beating the League wasn't a thing indeed. I could only count on my Empoleon, but I never managed to get past Lucian. And btw, I didn't use to save and restart the game from the last point lol. Everytime I lost, I started back and this is how I got my Empoleon to level 100 lol. Also, I didn't want to use items, so I just didn't. The rest of my team was bidoof, Abra, staraptor and idk the rest maybe budew. Anyway, I had no solutions left and my cousin helped me giving me a level 100 Charizard and a level 100 Meganium with Hyper beam and whatever. He got them with cheats btw and that's how I "managed" to beat the league.
Empoleon, Meganium, Charizard, bidoof, staraptor and idk. Btw I also remember that once I got to the pokemon day care, i left there my Zubat and i basically forgot him for the whole adventure. When I found out how to use the PC (and finally get to use Dialga lol), I could get my Zubat back and it was like 40+ levels more lmao. Then he evolved into golbat and quite soon to crobat.
My first pokemon run was really messed up, but I learned quite much and indeed in later games, I got more prepared to Lucian and Cynthia and enjoyed the game even more. Gen 4 is my fav, so I don't even know how many times I replayed it. I think platinum at least 5-6 times. I don't remember the teams at all, but I ALWAYS choose Empoleon, for the rest I often stick with Staraptor and Luxray. Rest of the team is pretty interchangeable. I had a recent run on platinum and I m at the last gym where I wanted to try new Pokemon.
My team is: Empoleon, Blissey, Raichu, Crobat, Gallade, Houndoom. Team is pretty alright, Blissey wasn't so easy to level up and also had pretty bad moves. So, idk if I'll complete the run but I m curious to see how my team would do against the League.

Man, what a great story! I immediately remembered my first run in Sapphire! The only thing I knew about pokemon was the little I saw of the anime, so it was just a disaster and many times I didn't know what to do or where to go.

BTW, Interesting team you put together, and I love that you have a Gallade! As for Blissey, it can always be used as a tank to last a couple of turns while you heal the others; hope you don't have too many problems against the league!

Years
Man, what a great story! I immediately remembered my first run in Sapphire! The only thing I knew about pokemon was the little I saw of the anime, so it was just a disaster and many times I didn't know what to do or where to go.

BTW, Interesting team you put together, and I love that you have a Gallade! As for Blissey, it can always be used as a tank to last a couple of turns while you heal the others; hope you don't have too many problems against the league!

Hehe, I am glad you enjoyed my story~
And yes, I am really happy for the team I created for this run lol. As I said, it was to try out new Pokemon: i never tried Blissey, Houndoom and Gallade before. They're not bad, except Blissey that is hard to level up even with exp share, as I said. Also Gallade. Gardevoir was better even back in gen 4. Gallade problem is that he's a physical attacker while psychic type moves are almost all special. But I wanted to try it out and it seems to be quite a balanced team.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
Never played original Diamond/Pearl, so Platinum's was my first Gen 4 team:

-Torterra
-Gastrodon
-Probopass
-Rapidash
-Froslass

No sixth. HMs got so tedious that I just decided to leave a free slot for HM Bibarel/Golduck/Pelipper depending on the location.

Fun fact, after having an HM slave Bibarel in every Platinum playthrough, I ended up adding a Bibarel to my actual Shining Pearl team :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I remember doing a pure Dark monotype run the first time I played Pearl, haha.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
I'm pretty sure that 3 of the team were Torterra, Staraptor, and Luxray. Can't remember the rest though, my first playthrough of DPPt was a long time ago, and idk if that save file even exists anymore.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
When I first played Gen 4, I remember feeling hellishly sick and finished it in the span of a few days because I couldn't do much else.

I had Empoleon, Crobat, Leafeon, Lickilicky, Garchomp, and Houndoom.

Had to look at an old thread I posted in from 2018 to recall this. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9818138#post9818138

I don't remember much about the playthrough, other than I knew that the champion had Garchomp and it was notorious. I exploded with Lickilicky and knocked it out in one hit.

Years
On the topic of first teams I believe Blue was my first! Back in the day I chose the same starter as on the box so I went with Squirtle to match. I also didn't train anything except my starter since it got overleveled quickly and made the game easy... lol. Took me until gen 4 to stop doing that. So I am pretty sure my first win in a Pokémon game was with Blastoise. \o/

For gen 4 specifically, I had Empoleon, Luxray, Rapidash, Roserade, Lucario, and Staraptor! A pretty overrated team but they were all awesome. ❤️

Years
I played Platinum first but never finished it because Gen 5 came out and I wanted to play that more so I sold Platinum to get Black. I just beat Crasher Wake before being done with the game, my team at that point was Torterra, Staraptor, Houndoom, Croagunk and I think Floatzel but it doesn't matter since I never completed the game.

My first time actually completing a Sinnoh game was years later and on Pokemon Pearl. I didn't have any Gen 4 games at the time but I needed to transfer some of my Pokemon from Gen 3 cartridges to newer games and I had to get and complete a Gen 4 game to do so. Pearl was the first (and cheapest) legit Gen 4 game I found so I ended up buying it. I actually really enjoyed that Pearl playthrough and I started to appreciate Sinnoh a lot more after that playthrough. My team was Infernape, Staraptor, Floatzel, Mismagius, Raichu and Steelix.

Years
My Platinum team was Houndoom, Gyarados, Torterra, Gastrodon, I had a Staraptor but I think I eventually swapped it with Togekiss. I just couldn't turn down a Togekiss, though Staraptor had been awesome. I also remember lovingly raising an Umbreon too.

For Pearl I had Blissey, Torterra, Gastrodon, Staraptor-- definitely took it with me to the E4 on that one, Rapidash and Steelix. I used a Kadabra for a lot time too, not being fully evolved I was a little cautious about playing it as the levels of the opponents got increasingly high, though it always performed well, and had done me a credit because it's attack was so high. Sometimes I wonder if I should have tried to beat the game with it though, because it was keeping up, and when I actually gave it a shot with a Kadabra for Crystal on the VC it was one of my best Pokemon. We went the distance from Johto to Kanto together.

Years
Diamond

Infernape (Male)
Chatot (Male)
Pachirisu (Male)
Floatzel (Male)
Hippowdon (Male)
Roserade (Male)

Pearl

Torterra (Male)
Noctowl (Male)
Gastrodon (East Sea) (Male)
Purugly (Male)
Mothim (Male)
Lucario (Male)

Platinum

Empoleon (Male)
Staraptor (Male)
Luxray (Male)
Abomasnow (Male)
Garchomp (Male)
Spiritomb (Male)

HeartGold

Feraligatr (Male)
Noctowl (Male)
Ampharos (Male) (Obtained as Mareep from Primo)
Magcargo (Male) (Obtained as Slugma from Primo)
Donphan (Male)
Ariados (Male)

SoulSilver

Meganium (Male)
Skarmory (Male)
Ampharos (Male) (Obtained as Mareep from Primo)
Politoed (Male)
Ursaring (Male)
Steelix (Male) (Traded a Bellsprout for Onix in Violet City)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
I can't really remember all of my Diamond team. I can make some educated guesses though:

- Piplup (100% on this one, they had me at Penguin)
- Budew (100%, unavailability of Roselia in Emerald taunted me)
- Murkrow (I was aware of Honchkrow...I think).
- Meditite? (Again, unavailable in Emerald)
- ????
- ????
- Dialga

I know I already had 6, thinking Dialga would be an optional capture and an absolute pain like Rayquaza, then found it was lv. 47...disappointing in the long run as I'd only known insanely unbeatable legends at lv. 70 and here was Dialga getting wrecked by Bertha.

Platinum I know I started with Piplup again, but don't have any pokémon before 2011 so who knows? I know the first time I beat Red in HeartGold I had Feraligatr and Arcanine in my team having abandoned my original save with Cyndaquil (I also had SoulSilver for about 3 weeks before swapping them for some reason, and again used Cyndaquil in that).

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 30, 2022
My old Diamond team's enjoying their retirement days in Kalos. My starter was Infernape, and my main team included Roserade, Staraptor, Gastrodon, Luxray and Dialga. I also had a Tyranitar and Giratina in the reserve and I grinded them all to level 100.

Back