• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What will you remember the most about the Obama presidency?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Simple question. For me, it will probably be three things...

1.) Normalizing relations with Cuba. It's about time this happened. Embassy opened back up, travel is allowable, we can get those sweet sweet cigars legally, etc.

2.) The killing of Osama bin Laden. I'll let a video speak for me here...

3.) And finally, his sense of humor. Take for instance, this moment...

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Not in any particular:

1) His humor. Obama made the presidency cool. Regardless of where you are on the political spectrum, you probably find him at the very least witty. Personally, I think he is hilarious.

2) Marriage equality. A huge positive social change!

3) Obamacare. I disagree with public-option healthcare, but a great and impacting feat nevertheless.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Quite a lot I think. From the strike on Osama, to his sense of humor, to his improvement of relations with multiple countries, heck, even how he currently has a higher approval rating that both candidates.

please don't let them take office

Years
  • No particular order
    1. Osama Bin Laden killed
    2. Marriage Equality
    3. Obamacare
    4. His humour (oh my god he is hillarious)
    5. Relations with Cuba being restored.

Years
  • Thanks Obama.

01) An $7T in debt (more than all other presidencies combined)
    02) Car bailout (failure, companies were purchased out-house or moved)
    03) Bank Bailout (failure, diminished returns and not fully paid back)
    04) The disrespect he showed the Queen and GB
    05) The disrespect shown to him by world leaders
    06) 'Stimulus packages' were a failure
    07) Destabilization in the Middle East, executive order. Gaddafi assassinated, ignored the will of the rebels (they didn't want outside help)
    08) Failed to close GITMO, despite repeated promises
    09) Failed to prosecute a single person from Wall Street, despite promises to do so
    10) Failure of Transparency (least transparent administration in history, even behind Nixon)
    11) Demonetization of officers before looking at the final reports
    12) Internet memes

Years
  • I'll remember how people would blame him for their own faults and actions. I'll remember how no one on the other side of politics would offer to work with him on anything and would oppose anything he supported. I'll remember how crazy some people got when he was first elected, then reelected. The government-shutdown-birther-wildlife-refuge-takeover levels of crazy that seized people who couldn't, on some level they weren't aware of, accept that a black man was our president. And I'll remember how through all of it Obama stayed cool, kept his composure and dignity. How he did what he could within his power to accomplish what he could. How, for all his faults, he never seemed to stop caring about people and the country and wanting to do more for them.

Guest123_x1

I'll remember the Obama Presidency the most for how many people have been worshiping him as a "Messiah" for the past 8 years. There's other things that are noteworthy as well:

1. Pushing for more unfair trade agreements, including Trans-Pacific Partnership, despite claiming during his 2008 campaign to oppose these so-called "free trade" policies.
    2. Pushing to strangle our energy industry in the name of "saving our planet from catastrophic man-made global warming" by Wall Street-backed schemes including Cap and Trade. ("Under my plan, energy prices will necessarily skyrocket", despite saying he would crack down on price gougers during his 2008 campaign.)
    3. Claiming to be a Christian while doing nothing about the persecution of Christians in both America and abroad.
    4. Sparking a global movement to implement negative interest rates (a way for Wall Street tycoons to legally pillage your bank accounts so that they can give their CEOs huge raises and bonuses, as well as put that money into derivatives (I wish we could go back to a world where we didn't need financial derivatives in order to function economically) while the middle class and poor continue to suffer).
    5. Claiming he was going to stand up against excessive executive compensation at major corporations, yet nearly every major CEO gave themselves huge pay raises anyway.
    6. Appointing numerous Wall Street insiders to manage our economy (including Tim Geithner) despite claiming he would not appoint such people.
    I knew the auto bailouts would be a complete sham because GM and Chrysler decided to send more jobs out of our country anyway despite this money that they "needed" in order to survive.
    (snip)
    The trillion-dollar bailouts and stimulus packages were successful... for Wall Street banks and oil and food speculators, obviously. They benefited while we payed much more at the pumps and grocery store.
    07) Destabilization in the Middle East, executive order. Gaddafi assassinated, ignored the will of the rebels (they didn't want outside help)
    Not to mention the mainstream news media claiming Obama's "Arab Spring" was "so Egypt and Libya could have democracy". Also, him and Hillary Clinton claiming that the Benghazi attack during that time occurred because of a simple YouTube video.

09) Failed to prosecute a single person from Wall Street, despite promises to do so
    Also saying he would crack down on excessive energy speculation via financial reform during his 2008 campaign, even though Dodd-Frank actually empowered the energy trading cabal (they and the stock market responded enthusiastically to Dodd-Frank during its entire legislative process).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Thanks Obama.

01) An $7T in debt (more than all other presidencies combined)
    04) The disrespect he showed the Queen and GB
    05) The disrespect shown to him by world leaders
    08) Failed to close GITMO, despite repeated promises
    10) Failure of Transparency (least transparent administration in history, even behind Nixon)
    11) Demonetization of officers before looking at the final reports
    12) Internet memes

Didn't i pull apart like 60-80% of this list when you put it in some other thread, I think it was the election one? I know at least a bunch of them were things that weren't true or were nonsense to put on him, like GITMO not closing (Because republicans refused to allow it, despite him attempting to multiple times)

Years
  • Didn't i pull apart like 60-80% of this list when you put it in some other thread, I think it was the election one? I know at least a bunch of them were things that weren't true or were nonsense to put on him, like GITMO not closing (Because republicans refused to allow it, despite him attempting to multiple times)

Not particularly.

Repeatedly promising something when you know it is going to fail won't help make much of a case.

A majority of news sources, including mainstream, like the NYT, the LAT, Huffington, etc. agree it was a failed effort or a 'stumble'. $800B and a paltry excuse for a ban-daid. It did little to what it set out to do initially. Not a cheap price tag.

I still maintain that the bank and car bailouts were a poor idea.

World leaders have shown him disrespect, multiple times. China's airport didn't even role out the red carpet. I don't know what there is to disprove here, because it does and did happen.

He did disrespect the Queen and GB by speaking through their national anthem. We don't do that during the Star Spangled Banner.

Besides, regardless of what it is you think is incorrect matters not pertaining to the original question put into place by the OP, which was "What will you remember about the Obama Presidency?" *shrug*

Oh, and Solyndra leaving behind a gaping, ragged hole of debt. Opinions are opinions, and this isn't the right platform to go about 'pulling apart' what I can and can't remember.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Not particularly.

Repeatedly promising something when you know it is going to fail won't help make much of a case.

Uh? To start with, he didn't know he'd fail, and kept trying. You don't just do that for lip service. Don't deflect though, and move on from "he didn't do what he said!!" to "Well if other people wouldn't let him do it out of spite he should've given up"

A majority of news sources, including mainstream, like the NYT, the LAT, Huffington, etc. agree it was a failed effort or a 'stumble'. $800B and a paltry excuse for a ban-daid. It did little to what it set out to do initially. Not a cheap price tag.

"It worked, but not as well as was hoped" is a hell of a lot better than "He didn't try at all"

I still maintain that the bank and car bailouts were a poor idea.

I mean, i guess that's your prerogative, and they did have bad effects alongside what was wanted, but they did what they were intended to so they're definitely a needed success

World leaders have shown him disrespect, multiple times. China's airport didn't even role out the red carpet. I don't know what there is to disprove here, because it does and did happen.

This one example means hardly anything, and also isn't true. There was a red carpet, just not one ramp/stairs off the plane on the exit used, and it's not even like a red carpet is always used by other countries anyway

He did disrespect the Queen and GB by speaking through their national anthem. We don't do that during the Star Spangled Banner.

Oh wow, a single political gaff no one seemed to be bothered about, what a horrible president indeed

Besides, regardless of what it is you think is incorrect matters not pertaining to the original question put into place by the OP, which was "What will you remember about the Obama Presidency?" *shrug*

How is correcting misinformation something that doesn't pertain to the question asked? If i said "the way he made the sky red" it'd be the same thing

Oh, and Solyndra leaving behind a gaping, ragged hole of debt. Opinions are opinions, and this isn't the right platform to go about 'pulling apart' what I can and can't remember.

It really is the right place to pull apart misinformation because it's a public forum, and if we can't be challenged on things that aren't correct- what's the point of speaking at all?

Regardless Obama has done nothing but lower the massive debt he inherited.

Years
  • It really is the right place to pull apart misinformation because it's a public forum, and if we can't be challenged on things that aren't correct- what's the point of speaking at all?

Regardless Obama has done nothing but lower the massive debt he inherited.

Again. An opinion piece is just that. An opinion. China isn't the only country to show him disrespect I don't believe that the disrespect is just 'one' incident, I gave it as an example, not as the end all be all.

Obama didn't decrease the national debt at all, in fact he increased it. US debt went from around $5.5T in debt after Bush left office and now it's bordering close to $18T at the close of Obama's administration. In fact, Obama did [add debt] in one term that Bush did in two. Call me crazy if you want, but I personally doubt he decreased anything in way of national debt.

Again, as my opinion, it cannot be argued that I cannot have an opinion regardless whether or not you find my statements factual or otherwise.

Again, I was answering the initial question posed to me by the thread and the OP, not attempting to push my opinion on others.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Again. An opinion piece is just that. An opinion. China isn't the only country to show him disrespect I don't believe that the disrespect is just 'one' incident, I gave it as an example, not as the end all be all.

A claimed factual statement isn't an opinion, and claiming it to be one doesn't change a lot?

Anyway, you gave one example of an incident you said showed disrespect that didn't turn out to be fully right

Obama didn't decrease the national debt at all, in fact he increased it. US debt went from around $5.5T in debt after Bush left office and now it's bordering close to $18T at the close of Obama's administration. In fact, Obama did [add debt] in one term that Bush did in two. Call me crazy if you want, but I personally doubt he decreased anything in way of national debt.

Sorry, he cut the defect by a huge amount, not debt.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...debt-vs-deficit-understanding-differences.asp

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...e-cut-our-deficits-three-fourths-obama-state/

They're related concepts, but the debt was always set to increase, and given that's.. how it works, really, and that Obama took the US through the GFC and out the other side.

Decreasing deficit is really good though, considering it's a better metric than raw debt

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...-obama-claims-deficit-has-decreased-two-thir/

Again, as my opinion, it cannot be argued that I cannot have an opinion regardless whether or not you find my statements factual or otherwise.

Again, I was answering the initial question posed to me by the thread and the OP, not attempting to push my opinion on others.

Again though, claiming "it's just my opinion" doesn't shield it from criticism or fact checking? I don't know why it would. I get the point of the thread being to speak of your own personal things you'll remember, but when you're there saying things that... aren't really true, or aren't fully true, i think it stands to reason that you need to be corrected

Years
  • Again though, claiming "it's just my opinion" doesn't shield it from criticism or fact checking? I don't know why it would.

. . . Chocolate ice cream is the best.

What I will remember most is . . .

Same thing. Just as I seemingly can't convince or influence you, the same can be said of your efforts to persuade me. The past cannot be changed and Obama will, in my opinion, always be a bad president.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    . . . Chocolate ice cream is the best.

What I will remember most is . . .

Same thing. Just as I seemingly can't convince or influence you, the same can be said of your efforts to persuade me. The past cannot be changed and Obama will, in my opinion, always be a bad president.

That's not the same though because that's an actual opinion. So is "Obama was a bad president" (Even though that's pretty borderline since obama was great on most metrics).

"Obama did X" when he didn't isn't an opinion, it's just straight up wrong

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Policies aside, I think what I'll remember most was his ability to endear himself to so many through a mastery of one's public persona not seen since the early years of Clinton. Well, to the point that many liked him on par with their participation in celebrity culture and not because they had particularly evaluated his policies.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

That despite our disagreements....at least he was no Trump.

And the Same-Sex Marriage Supreme Court Ruling. Obamacare is also a term I'll probably hear for a long time.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • When my single mother applied for Obamacare because she was working full-time as a preschool teacher and part-time in retail but didn't have the money to pay for health insurance, and was denied because she was making 'too much money'. Being incredibly cautious knowing that I had no health coverage for 3 years is something that will stay in my head for a while.

Years
  • I'll remember his good intentions and effort to bring US civil rights into the 21st century first and foremost. Obamacare was a half-assed attempt at what most first world countries have had for years but at least it was a start, he spearheaded the legalisation of gay marriage and positive immigration stances also. I have a lot of respect for that.

I have a great admiration for the strength of his character too. Because despite all the obstructionism he faced from the Republicans, all the controversy and all the other challenges he faced he managed to stay strong as President and maintain not only a good sense of humour but his fight for a better future.

Obama might not be everyone's favourite president right now, but I am certain that he'll be remembered fondly by history and I know that I'll remember his presidency the way I think the history books will.

Back