• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What will your team be?

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    I'm getting three copies. Two of moon and one of sun. I've already got my strategies on how to use each Pokemon I catch (depending on where I get them and how early they are, I could go a while without catching a Pokemon until I get my preferred one).

I don't know all the game's details yet - but I waited until I knew a decent amount. So here's my planned team for now, which may change until further notice.

Sun:

Rowlet
    Ash Greninja
    Grubbin/Vikavolt
    Pikachu
    Rockruff/Lycaroc Midday Form
    Palossand

Moon 1:

Litten
    Munchlax/Snorlax
    Alolan Rattata
    Pikipek (Gotta have a flying type)
    Bounsweet (if available early on, probably)
    Togedemaru

Moon 2:

Poplio
    Rockruff/Lycaroc Night Form
    Pikipek
    Fomantis
    Mudbray
    Crabrawler

For Sun, I plan on using Rowlet as a half-and-half sort of attacker. Half-grass half flying. I plan on keeping Aerial Ace on my Greninja just in case, but I know I could probably teach something similar to Rowlet (or whatever new moves it learns) when it levels up. I don't plan on keeping any moves like Tackle or Quick Attack (if it learns that). Just two good flying moves and two good grass-moves.

For Greninja, I want it as a mixed-attacker. One water move - Preferably Scald - I want to get Ice Beam cause I know I'll be dealing with Dragon Types later. I don't know if I want to keep Night Slash or not - I probably will. And Aerial Ace - just in case i need it. You never know when it'll be useful, and I may replace it with something else later on, but who knows right now.

Vikavolt - to be mainly used as my bug type to deal with Grass Types. I know I have my flying moves set on Rowlet and Greninja (Greninja's Aerial Ace) but I will have one electric-based move on Vikavolt. I don't think it'll be as good as Pikachu when it comes to electric attacks, but we'll see. I may catch more than one and re-train it to see how well it does? I don't really know. But Vikavolt will be on my team.

Pikachu - when in a tight spot and I can't really use Vikavolt's electric move, I'll switch out and use Pikachu. Based on my past uses with Pikachu/Raichu and how I've used Pikachu's Z Move in the demo (which was awesome by the way) I'll probably use that to get out of sticky sistuations when Vikavolt can't take hits, and Pikachu will take hits for others. Only when it's gotten to a higher level and gained more HP. My Raichu in Y doesn't have a great tone of HP but it is strong, and if I train Pikachu right I'm sure it'll be fine.

Rockruff - A rock type that can deal with flying types if I'm out of luck for some reason with Pikachu or Vikavolt. It can also deal with Fire Types that Rowlet can't, if I need backup for Greninja. And of course, and of course the obvious Bug and Ice (like Alolan Vulpix for instance) - and the other handful of bug types there probably will be in the game. I mean, it's Hawaii! An island, don't you think there will be bug types on an Island?

Palossand - I really didn't realize how good this Pokemon will come in handy till I looked up what Ground can really do. Ground can effect electric (Pikachu, Tapu Koko, Togedemaru, other electric types that will be in Alola). Fire, Poison (Salandite, Zubats, Koffings, which are some of the Pokemon Team Skull seam to carry around all the time), Steel (again Togedemaru, Alolan Sandshrew though it's dual type ice/steel it could still do some damage), and finally, Rock. Think of all those damn Geodudes you'll be encountering in caves - and you'll need a way to defeat them! Palossand will come in handy.

I expect this Pokemon to have a lot of HP, and to be really slow. IV/EV training can easily speed it up. It can take hits, but it won't be a fast-hitter.

For my first copy of Moon, with Litten I'll have my first Fire Type. Which is if you -SPOILERS- have read the data-mined leaks then you'll know it evolves into a beefy bipedal fighting-type. I don't know how fast this is going to be, or if it can take hits or not, or whatever, but hopefully Litten's final evolution will be faster than the others. I hope to make it a mixed attacker like Greninja. Half fire, half fighting and maybe a little bit of normal or something else. Dark? Maybe if it learns Dark. Depending. We'll see. I think it'll learn dark moves, something like Night Slash. Or a ghost move like Shadow Claw, probably.

For Munchlax/Snorlax will be my tank. The one that can take hits. My second beefcake. Though it's a normal type, this will be the one that I'll switch out when the going gets though. I'm defiantly keeping moves like Headbutt on here (so it can hit without recoil I know Takedown is pretty popular with Pokemon like Snorlax cause it does more damage but I don't want to risk the damage)

Alolan Rattata - Dark Type. Dealing with Ghost/Psychic type Pokemon if i encounter any, I'll be a half-and-half attacker. Knowing two dark type moves and two normal types. I hope to teach it Hyper Fang at some point. I know that's a good move Rattata/Raticate can know.

Pikipek - My main flying type for this game. I don't know what moves it knows, but when i know I'll update this. Maybe.

Bounsweet - My planned grass type for this game. I don't know what it's moves or stats are. But hopefully I can catch one early on.

Togedemaru - My electric type. Again I don't know the stats or the movesets so it's subject to change.

Moon 2

Similar to Sun's team, i have my water type with Poplio, my Rock and Ground Types (Rockruff and Mudbray), my flying type - Pikipek. My grass type Fomantis. My only thing different about this team is i have a pure fighting type that I'm going to keep a pure fighting type which is Crawbrawler. Hopefully I can teach Poplio something like Ice Beam like I will Greninja so it'll deal with Dragon Types later on.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think I've managed to finalize my two team for both Sun and Moon. (Both contain image spoilers)

Moon Team
    Spoiler:

Sun Team
    Spoiler:

I may end up switching a couple between the two teams depending on version exclusives and what not. Could also end up switching one of them out for Alolan Marowak depending on how I feel nearer the time.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • For my starter, I'm gonna go with Rowlet. After that, I'm not sure... but an idea crossed my mind. In celebration of the 20th Anniversary, I'm going to include one 'mon from each Gen that I've had, specifically Gens 1-5. If there's one or a few that aren't available, I'll pick another in its place.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Ehh I'm not too sure. Not a lot of pokemon in the dex really appeal to me that much. Datamine spoilers below.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I think I've managed to finalize my two team for both Sun and Moon. (Both contain image spoilers)

Moon Team
    Spoiler:

Sun Team
    Spoiler:

I may end up switching a couple between the two teams depending on version exclusives and what not. Could also end up switching one of them out for Alolan Marowak depending on how I feel nearer the time.
    Feedback on your teams:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    My Alola team will look like this:
    - Porygon-Z
    - Smeargle (after it's possible to transfer with Pokébank, because it needs to know Dark Void.) or Tapu Koko (if allowed in competition)
    - Metagross
    - Silvally
    - Garchomp
    - Gengar (I need a ghost to cover up for the weakness against fighting type)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Feedback on your teams:
    Spoiler:

Yeah, that was pretty much my first thought when putting them together. I'll probably end up switching two from each so there are no repeated types on either.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I decided to put together an initial idea of what my team might look like. In spoilers because it has datamined Pokemon.

Spoiler:

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • My team will probably be (spoilers for datamine):
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    NicoNico stream showed Litten as being very cute so I'm probably gonna stick the Everstone on it as soon as I can get an Everstone, and not even let it evolve once. Also, I really do love Lurantis and I wasn't so huge on Jangmo-o, but I really love Kommo-o! I might use Lurantis if I can get it first, but eventually I'd like to use Kommo-o. So let's see...

Litten (Everstone)
    Oricorio Baile --(use then box for)--> Oricorio Sensu
    Rockruff --(evolve into)--> Lycanroc (Midnight) --(trade for)--> Lycanroc (Midday)
    Cutiefly --(evolve into)--> Rhibombee
    Pyukumuku
    Jangmo-o --> Hakamo-o --> Kommo-o

I don't think I've ever planned my team ahead this much.

Years
  • NicoNico stream showed Litten as being very cute so I'm probably gonna stick the Everstone on it as soon as I can get an Everstone, and not even let it evolve once. Also, I really do love Lurantis and I wasn't so huge on Jangmo-o, but I really love Kommo-o! I might use Lurantis if I can get it first, but eventually I'd like to use Kommo-o.

I feel that keeping a starter unevolved will make it outclassed by the rest of your team, so there's always the option of boxing it in the PC instead if you need stronger Pokemon.

SoaPuffball

Dat one guy who loves Diancie even though he is a
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2017
    Brionne's evo + Ribombee + Comfey + Steenee's evo (I forgot its name) + Lycanroc Moon + Salandit's evo or Beauty
    If I get PokeMoon...

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I still haven't really decided yet, but only things I know is that 1. I will be picking water because the final evo looks badass and 2. There will be NO gen6 mons. And I mean it.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I think I'm gonna wait until we find out for sure what the secondary types will be for the final evolution starters. If Poppolio's final evo is part Fairy, I don't want to end up having two Fairy-types on my team since there's a couple Fairy types I'm already considering.

EDIT: Screw it, I'm going with my original plan of Rowlet. I haven't used a Grass starter other than Venusaur in X. With that said:

- Rowlet
    - Salandit
    - Wimpod
    - Alola Ninetails(I hope to get the shiny version)
    - Alola Raichu
    - Mudsdale

Last edited:
    Years
  • Update On My team :

Decidueye
    Incineroar
    Silvally
    Vikavolt/A-Raichu
    Kommo-o
    Wimpod's Evo

I hope the Daycare house will be in the 3rd or 4th town so I can ask someone to breed a Litten for me ;) .
    I also want to use A-SANDSLASH and A-MUK so I will do a rotation team.

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
  • So, after thinking about it more after seeing Decidueye's final typing...

Sun Team
    Spoiler:

Years
  • So, after thinking about it more after seeing Decidueye's final typing...

Sun Team
    Spoiler:

I noticed over half of this team won't be available until Ula'Ula Island (the third island) and having a team that's not mostly available until what I consider a late portion of the game can be a problem so having fillers planned until you obtain them is a recommendation I have. Bewear will be obtainable at Akala Island which is still going to be fairly early.

My planned team is all Melemele and Akala native, so I'm in good spirits with not having to need much filler.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I noticed over half of this team won't be available until Ula'Ula Island (the third island) and having a team that's not mostly available until what I consider a late portion of the game can be a problem so having fillers planned until you obtain them is a recommendation I have. Bewear will be obtainable at Akala Island which is still going to be fairly early.

My planned team is all Melemele and Akala native, so I'm in good spirits with not having to need much filler.

To be fair, the Kahunas of Melemele and Akala island only have three Pokemon each. So if that's the biggest challenge that's going to be thrown at us I think we'll fairly be safe having two or three Pokemon for a while.

I mean the niconico stream even showed us that most of the trainers on Melemele island only have one Pokemon. (at least early on, but even then it seems unlikely we'll get many trainers holding more than two Pokemon)

I feel like having just two or three Pokemon for the first two islands will actually be pretty viable.

Years
  • To be fair, the Kahunas of Melemele and Akala island only have three Pokemon each. So if that's the biggest challenge that's going to be thrown at us I think we'll fairly be safe having two or three Pokemon for a while.

I mean the niconico stream even showed us that most of the trainers on Melemele island only have one Pokemon. (at least early on, but even then it seems unlikely we'll get many trainers holding more than two Pokemon)

I feel like having just two or three Pokemon for the first two islands will actually be pretty viable.

You could be right. Four of my planned team are on Melemele, but it could even be viable to rely on just your starter to take out the early part of the game. The Totems I feel will be tough, especially after I saw that footage from CoroCoro that showed Litten being destroyed by the Totem Gumshoos.

Back