• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's keeping you?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Do you have anything keeping you from just packing all of your bags and leaving your life where it is now to start a new somewhere else? If so, what? If not, would you consider doing so? Why or why not?

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • My mom.

That's really about it.

I have to take care of her.

I'd miss my friends, but I'm betting one of them would just pick up and move with me, and the others I can go a long while without seeing any way. Sooooo it wouldn't be all that different. I'd love to leave Kansas, and move to some place that could take me farther. Honestly, I haven't given up the idea of moving to Texas, Cali, or NY. Any of those could get me to the job that I wanna pursue.

Other than that, I'm learning Japanese, because I kid you not, I like that country, and that culture, the language, etc, and I believe I could live there just fine. Start over. It would be nice.

Plus no matter where I moved, I'd still have all my friends online, and IRL friends could catch me online, etc. :D

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    My sister and my mom, my mom can't manage without me and I can imagine my sister being devastated if I left. Like my friends would be too but blood related is a little different still.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Lack of direction and motivation. I could easily pack up and go anywhere I wanted, but I have no reason to; plus it would probably be rather difficult to establish myself comfortably in a new area, not worth the effort!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    To move all on my own would require things from me that I'm not proficient at, like being able to meet new people, get a new job, find a place, and live on my own. I can't even drive, lol. It took me long enough to make friends here, it would be devastating to me for me to leave everyone I know and try to make a new life.

Years
  • The short answer is no. I don't really have any chains which bind me at the moment. I'm the type of person who can sever my connections and walk onwards, maybe giving a glance back once in a while. For the most part anyway though there's always the odd exception.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Ah. Um. Things stopping me include a lack of finances and an inability to get into Wales. Which is where I would like to go. Also two people who I don't think I could be that far away from for so long. But once they leave me, there's only the former two difficulties.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Fear. Simple as that. I don't know what would happen to me. I don't know how I would survive without anything. I don't know how I would react. I'm unprepared atm to leave, but, after saving up money, researching some things, it wouldn't be that hard for me to leave.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • Funds, family, job, those are the things keeping me here. I don't have the money to leave, I have family that I wouldn't want to leave quite yet (plus I help out my great grandmother all the time and I can't ditch my dear old great grandmother. xD) and I JUST got my job so I wouldn't want to leave yet.

If I did up and leave, idk, I have no idea where I would go. Maybe I'd go to Minnesota if possible and visit Anna. xD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I have a bit of a tendency to be distracted by other things, like what I'll miss from the country or city that I'm leaving, which usually holds me back from packing my bags.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Lack of real world experience mostly. Never had a job, never been to college, have no real skills or talents. I just literally have no way to leave, short of running away, which would probably be suicide for the same reasons.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Money? That's... kind of important.

Also, I have no intention of living on my own. It's just... I don't know... not part of my culture? All of my family stayed at home until they got married, moved out, and had kids. I plan to follow this trend. If I'm like 35 and still single though I'd probably leave if I hadn't by then already. I should have enough money by then

Years
  • For me, what keeps me in place is family, my ties to people here, my familiarity with the area, financial obligations, logistics of taking my things with me to a distant land, how most places I'd be interested in living in if I didn't live here cost significantly more to live in, being currently employed here, and some other things I don't feel like listing.

I also have a fair lack of social initiative to go out and meet new people, and a minor paranoia that I'd choose a terrible neighborhood if I were to move to another major city. I would still change cities for the right job in a heartbeat, though. As in, for a job that I can afford the necessary financial obligations with and still have a lot of fun while working and when not working.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I actually plan to do this eventually, but right now the main obstacle is money... I need to make more before I would have a hope in the world of succeeding elsewhere.

Years
  • The lack of a desire to pack up everything and start anew, maybe?

I'm a complacent person, nothing is terribly bad in my current situation, and there are some very good things about it that I wouldn't give up without a good reason. basically the benefits to staying outweigh the benefits of moving on.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Whats keeping me? Lack of money and another place to live keeps me remaining where I am. I cant realistically leave where I am now even though I really want to because I can't afford to live anyplace else, its also extremely hard to get a job anywhere so thats a reason as well.

Years
  • Effort, mostly. I don't want to pack up and go anywhere. I can't even be bothered to look for a place in town that's closer to my job, why would I move out of town? Also, fear of not being able to find a new job in a timely fashion, and thus running out of money. I don't have savings right now.

Ayselipera

Nothing. I just don't know how I want to go about it yet. I've thought up a million different plans I just need to decide on something.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The lack of a desire to pack up everything and start anew, maybe?

I'm a complacent person, nothing is terribly bad in my current situation, and there are some very good things about it that I wouldn't give up without a good reason. basically the benefits to staying outweigh the benefits of moving on.
    This this so much this. My life is kinda good at the moment on many fronts (career-wise, friends-wise, housing-wise), so there's nothing really motivating me to change all of that for something different.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Lack of money. If I had enough money to start a new life elsewhere, I'd definitely be glad to get out of my current living situation and start a new, better life for myself. But without it, I'm stuck living at home :/

Back