• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the earliest you've gotten a shiny before?

Years
  • Maybe you found a shiny on Route 1 in LeafGreen right after getting catching items (me!), or the third egg you hatched was shiny. What was the earliest shiny you remember getting?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    In Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu, after catching a lot of bulbasaur and Pikachu in Viridian forest trying to get ones with good IVs/nature, right after leaving and getting to that patch of grass right in front of Pewter City, shiny Rattata. No gym badges at the time. Was actually how I found out those games had overworld shinies.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Three early ones from playthroughs:
    1. A Mankey just before Hala in Moon (level 9-12). Was not purposefully fighting wild Pokemon.
    2. A Helioptile on Route 9 of X/Y (level 15-17). Happened during last year's Get-Together challenge event.
    3. A Tympole in Pinwheel Forest of Black (level 12-17). Occurred on the very first playthrough of the game.

Cannot think of any intentional shinies that went super fast. Might have been quick on a Steenee in Scarlet/Violet in an outbreak (no sandwich)? Possibly on some shiny raid event in Sword/Shield too.

Hm. Counts a shiny Salandit as half-intentional. Wandered over to the outbreak, mainly to stockpile its material (for preparedness, not a particular need). Kept an eye out for the shiny. Found it slightly before (maybe just after?) the message when you get full shiny odds for the outbreak. Now owns a level 100 male Salandit that wants to beat a 7-star Tera Raid.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • My earliest shiny in a playthrough was a shiny Cottonee a few hours after midnight release of Pokemon Black and White. This shiny was my first encounter in Pinwheel Forest. I bought Pokemon Black specifically to use a Cottonee in a playthrough. You can imagine my excitement! Here is the original blog post here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=10275#comments

My second earliest shiny was a Dewgong in Let's Go Eevee in a playthrough before the Elite Four. I almost missed it since the colors are so subtle.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • The earliest I've ever found was in my most recent playthrough of Scarlet, where I found a shiny Scatterbug before I even spoke to Nemona at the first Pokecentre!
    It became one of my six for the whole rest of the run!

Days
  • mine was a Starly in Legends Arceus. I think I was maybe 1 hour into the game. Ringo carried my team well! ^^

stringzzz

Banned
    Days
  • Well, I wasn't actually able to catch it, so I realize this doesn't totally count. Regardless, wanted to share the story. In RSE, you get to choose your starter when you find the professor from that generation being attacked by a Poochyena. I was soft-resetting my Ruby version one day in an attempt to get a shiny Mudkip. Instead, in that first battle, the damn Poochyena turned out to be a shiny! In case you don't know, you have no way to catch it in that first battle, so there was nothing I could do. (>_<)

But getting back to what this thread is really about, I think the earliest was a random shiny Shuppet encounter in my UM version. It was in that abandoned or haunted house where you typically find Mimikyu and some others, and I think I was just level grinding when I randomly found and caught it. I think this was about midway through the actual game.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Mine has to be shiny Geodude in Oreburgh Mine on Diamond. The runner up was the shiny Psyduck 3 hours in Scarlet, found by a river in the South Province outside Mesagoza.

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
    Years
  • I found a shiny wooper, in the Soulsilver Safari Zone (I thought on a route that lets you catch it normally, but I guess I was luckier than I thought). I had NOT reached the obligatory Shiny Gyarados yet, so I didn't know what a shiny even was.

Another time was finding a shiny Impidimp in Glimwood Tangle, while I was trying to get a Galarian Ponyta to appear. I would battle the background ones because I could, and one of them ended up being Impidimp

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    During my play through of Scaret I found a shiny Lechonk in the first area you could find it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Pretty sure it was in Violet when I caught a shiny Lechonk and Toxel on the same day pretty early in the game (it was in the southern province and I hadn't gotten any badges yet).

Years
  • In Violet I bumped into a shiny Pawmi in the very first area right after getting Pokeballs while on my way to meet Miraidon for the first time of the playthrough.

Years
  • The earliest shiny I've ever seen in a playthrough was the uncatchable shiny Weedle during the catching tutorial in FireRed.

The earliest one I've caught was a shiny Wurmple in Alpha Sapphire right after helping Wally catch his Ralts.

My earliest shiny from an Egg was a shiny Flabebe in Y on the second Egg but it was the Masuda Method odds.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I've caught one shiny Pokémon in the official games, and I unfortunately no longer have that Pokémon due to losing the cartridge. That said, I caught an early game shiny Pokémon in a fan creation. The odds were probably adjusted to double the normal rate, but I don't remember. I'm pretty sure it was Renegade Platinum, but it could've been Pokémon Zeta. Unfortunately for me, it was a shiny Whurmple, so I definitely wasn't using it on my team.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I think my earliest random Shiny was a Koffing in the Burned Tower (Crystal). Quickest Shiny hunt was a Pidove (Black 2) after only four eggs iirc.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Not counting pokemon I was actively hunting i.e soft resetting for starters or other gift pokemon like the odd egg, the earliest shiny I came across was a shiny rattata by Castelia City in White 2, so a little before the 3rd gym. Not my favorite, but a shiny is a shiny, and it had a more appealing color in those 32 bit graphic that. I had myself a gold mouse.

Back