• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the most gimmicky Pokemon in your opinion?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Ditto could have been the biggest gimmick except... well, Mew also gets Transform. The point is that Ditto cannot copy the opponent's HP stat, so it's kind of hard to get a good fight when you're with Ditto's base HP. They made it better by introducing Impostor, but still Ditto gets not much better. I'd say Unown then, because they're all pretty cute and they stand for everything Unown. Heck, they represent the alphabets, so I suppose that's how we were introduced to writing in the Pokémon world.

Years
    Delibird. It's a freaking Christmas bird. I don't know of anyone that actually uses it.

Yeah, poor thing suffers from bad movepool, stats, everything. Heck even two of its abilities have the exact same effect. At least it can bypass Hustle's accuracy loss yet still get the power boost with Aerial Ace.

And even though Sawsbuck's gimmick seems to be showcasing the season system in the 5th Generation, it actually has some decent stats to work with. It's quite fast and has a good Attack stat as well, in fact I used one in my Black playthrough and she did her job very well. It's a true sign not every "gimmick" Pokemon has to have terrible stats.

Years
    I know right? There's still a few of them that make no sense to me, like G. No matter how I squint at it, I still can't see it as a G. But, it was kinda cool when it first came out, because that was the first time we saw multiple forms of the same Pokemon species. But it would have been like, 100 times cooler if they made Unown actually useful in battle...

Btw, I agree, Plusle and Minun are extremely adorable <3

Defenetly, I think they should have used Katakana Japanese letters rather than English letters as they are more linear in form and Johto is based of Japan. They could have had an evolution into to a good pokemon if the right letters where combined maybe.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Ditto, thanks to the Dream World ability. Seriously, Imposter, Choice Scarfed Ditto can kill if used right. Aside from that, I'd say Shedinja. Great ability, but beyond that.... meh.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Hm, maybe Ditto; Ditto's only purpose is to transform into the opposing pokemon to use it's own moves against them, but on it's own right, it can be quite the counter to pokemon who'd love to use moves like Dragon Dance or Swords Dace, etc. Then again, a player could easily counter Ditto using the move substitute, since Ditto can't transform into a 'substitute' pokemon. Hm, actually, that makes me wonder if Ditto could transform into Mega pokemon - that'll be cool!

Another pokemon I was thinking of is Keckleon. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool pokemon, buuuut, Color Change is a weird ability no? The ability to transform into the type that you've been hit with? Players all the time make that ability work to their advantage, for example, let's say they have a Rotom-W, and they used Hydro Pump,changing it to a water type. They can easily follow it up with a thunder type move to finish it off, and then switch to a pokemon that has a ground type move, and so on until it faints. It's not to say it's a bad gimmick, it's just, you have to be careful on how to use one!

Next I'm thinking Castform, but again, I don't think it's a bad gimmick. It has a good movepool on which it can abuse it's ability to transform to an preferred type. On it's own right, it can serve as an interesting check to opposing weather teams, like, let's say, you're facing a Sunny Day team that has a lot of Grass types with Chlorophyll - Castform becomes a Fire Type and you could use Weather Ball or another Fire move. 'Course, that's in theory; I haven't tried it before, but, I think it can be pretty cool. p.s. give Cstform a sandstorm forme. :(

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    For "gimmick" I think more of pokémon who are just there to be there, and who aren't really meant to end up in super great teams of any sort. Kecleon and Ditto maybe qualify for that title yeah. But definitely Castform! It was just there to make the weather feature in Hoenn cool. Fits with the whole story too, Heavy Rain and Drought in the end-game and all. Thing with Castform is, like Shawn says, that it's super cute and pretty fun to use so ^^

Back