• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where do people get their meat from?

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2015
    What I've seen in the anime and the games is that they eat a various amount of foods throughout the series, steaks and sushi and such. But what I'm eager to know is where they get their meat from.
    I suppose they won't eat pokémon that would be kinda . off. But it would make the most sense actually.

So what do you think?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • The Kanto anime had lots of animal references and such iirc although some say it's not very reliable being the first gen.
    You also can't say they'd all be vegetarians. What about Oddish?
    Tropius has fruit around it's neck that appearantly kids love. But they couldn't live off that alone. As much as I'd hate to admit it, either animals live in the Pokemon world as a sub species less important than humans or pokemon...... Or humans eat Pokemon.

Years
  • I'm vegan, meaning I don't even eat any animal by-product whatsoever. I would suggest that humans in the Pokémon world are vegans were it not for this: "Pick clean the bones of Pokémon
    caught in the sea or stream.
    Thank them for the meals they
    provide, and pick their bones clean.
    When the bones are as clean as can
    be, set them free in the water from
    which they came.
    The Pokémon will return, fully
    fleshed, and it begins anew."

It's also been mentioned in story plot dialogue that Slowpoke tails are delicious, and several Pokédex entries describe Pokémon that prey on each other. Kyurem is said Unova legends to eat both other Pokémon and even humans. I think some of the Kalos restaurants offer meals that are said to be made out of certain Pokémon. In the anime it's said that the reason Farfetch'd is so rare is because humans hunt it because it makes a nice meal. Speaking of the anime, both humans and Meowth have fantasised about fried and sliced Magikarp. There's lots of other things as well.

I don't see how eating Pokémon can be considered disturbing since a lot of them are based on animals and plants. Humans use the milk from Miltanks and the Hoenn remakes mention consuming Serviper extract. There's also the fact that Devon uses an energy that requires Pokémon to be sacrificed, and they're a major corporation in the Pokémon world.

Last edited:

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • I assume they just eat Pokemon. Eating Pokemon has been referenced several times in both the anime and several Pokedex entries. There aren't really any animals in the Pokemon world.

It's kind of weird how in the anime Ash always seems to want a burger. I'm just thinking, "Don't eat that in front of your Tauros." OK, they would probably cook Miltank for that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I would say they straightforwardly eat Pokémon.

In terms of anime, if I remember right, I have seen Professor Oak hold a Magikarp up to show Ash, which he was about to cook, and this does sort of help proving that. When it comes to games, manga, and other aspects of the like, I believe same would apply.

As for how they actually cook and whatnot, I'd assume they have their own, specialized methods, as some Pokémon could be pretty dangerous to eat, I would imagine (off top of my head, one of them would be Tentacool, which is rather poisonous).

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • They eat the less intelligent pokemon species, most likely.

Magikarp, tauros, and cherubi's second head are some of the most likely to be eaten.

There are probably also some eccentric rich folks/assorted terrible people that pay a lot to get smarter pokemon to eat, like those people who buy chimps just to cook and eat them (I think this happens in real life and not just on Drake and Josh that one time). I bet it's illegal pretty much everywhere to eat things like gardevoir, alakazam and any starters.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    We eat animals but we also keep them as pets. People in the pokémon world eat pokémon but they also keep them as pets, friends, fighters etc. Sinnoh pretty much confirmed that, at least in game canon. It's a bit tricky though, as some manga and even early anime have shown animals to co-exist with pokémon. One manga in particular even states that pokémon is a species of animal, and the various forms are just different races (hence also explaining how different pokémon can breed with each other).

But my headcanon is that they do eat pokémon, yeah. Maybe not Kadabra or Charizard, but what you'd call less intelligent pokémon perhaps. Magikarp etc.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    If my memory isn't too far off, I recall an episode in the anime where Ash finds a Farfetch'd. As he puts out his Pokedex, the only thing it says about it is something around the lines "Farfetch'd tastes delicious.". I also recall another Pokedex entry that states Magicarp being almost unedable.
    In the games, when playing X or Y, if you battle at one of the restaurants it also becomes apparent, e.g. there's a meal made out of Skiddo meat.

So yea, people in the Pokemon world eat Pokemon.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'm just imagining how hard it must be to farm Milktank and Tauros. Trying to milk a milktank and it just rollout's off into the sunset.

Years
  • Well I would imagine that Miltank are farmed like most real life cows are. If that wasn't the case, I don't think they would have had the MooMoo Farm in Johto, which sells it in groups and is even present in other cities/towns like Driftveil and Dendemille.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • The great thing about Slowpoke tails is that they don't have to completely butcher the poor thing to get its meaty tail. They just cut it off and Slowpoke being the pokemon that he is would not even feel his tail being chopped off. Its already referenced in Gen II that they don't kill the slowpoke to get its tail.

There's that restaurant in Kalos that deliberately sells Slowpoke tails as a delicacy. Its pretty certain that the Kalosian butchers know how to chop those Slowpoke tails off and let the thing go after it has given up its meaty tail.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Probably farming. Miltank and Tauros, Doduo, Spearow, Baskulin, and quite a few others I'm sure. No one wants to eat Pikachu. Why? When's the last time you saw someone order grilled mouse off a menu. That's right, no one. Oh, and don't forget Ditto. There's always room for Ditto.

Years
  • There's also the fact that Devon uses an energy that requires Pokémon to be sacrificed, and they're a major corporation in the Pokémon world.
    And suddenly Devon Corp sounds like Shinra.
    There was that time where Ash and Brock were drooling at the thought of a roast Magikarp. Either they were reeeeeeeeeealy hungry or eating pokemon that resemble regular food animals is normal there.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • And suddenly Devon Corp sounds like Shinra.
    There was that time where Ash and Brock were drooling at the thought of a roast Magikarp. Either they were reeeeeeeeeealy hungry or eating pokemon that resemble regular food animals is normal there.
    So maybe Pokerus really IS Jenova cells... Hm..........

Back on topic there's numerous folklore references mentioning they ate Pokemon in the past, so I'd assume they do today, or at least some people do. But there's also ordinary looking fish presented along side the actual Pokemon in the anime, and there are references to real animals in some of the Pokedex entries for Pokemon like Gastly, so maybe they have actual animals too and eat those instead.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2015
    Pokemon = meat.
    Saw an episode where they were eating something that looked like Magicarp stew.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Also they were thinking of cooking the togepi egg(team rocket that is xD)

Back