• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Where does this generation rank among your favourites?

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    It ranks really high. Diamond is the one I had the most fun with so far. Had plenty of stuff to do post-game. I had figured out places and ways to train Pokémon of every type that were relatively quick and fun, so that was enjoyable.
    The Wi-Fi, especially the GTS, was really good too. Loved finally being able to get all these event Pokémon I could never have gotten otherwise. The Gen. 3 events, and a few of the Gen. 4 ones that didn't have classic ribbons. Especially the five Saikyou ones, I loved that Milotic, then getting the other four to complete the collection, and leveling them all super quickly...

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2015
    As I started playing pokemon when pearl was released it has to be my favourite generation, oh and it also has my favourites if not the best pokemon games in it. Pokemon heartgold and soulsilver

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
    Years
  • The 4th Generation is my favorite generation. Sure, Diamond and Pearl are kinda slow, but that's the only problem I have with this generation. I grew up with this generation, and I love it.

Years
  • 5>2=4>3>1>6

I love Unova a lot. Johto used to be my favorite region but Sinnoh managed to balance the table. Then Univa came and took the nunber on spot.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • For me it's:
    Gen 3 > 4 > 1 > 2 = 5.

I won't add in Gen 6 because it hasn't officially ended yet.

Gen 4 was solid. Platinum was a really great follow-up to an already strong D&P - having an immense storyline and one of the best champions in the game's history. HGSS were nice remakes, and one with (arguably) the most content. It was really cool seeing Red return with an even stronger team.

Honestly, I'm bias with Gen 3 because I started with it. However, Gen 4 isn't that far behind.

pkmin3033

First. My interest waned a little with the third generation, and Diamond was the game I needed to get back into it. Going online meant I could battle with my friends on forums, the physical/special split really sparked my interest in competitive battling, and I loved almost all of the new designs. Team Galactic resonated with me as villains, the Legendaries were actual deities rather than forces of nature or one-of-a-kind powerhouses (and I've always been big on mythology) and it felt like everything had been given a real upgrade. It harked back to when I was eleven years old when Gold and Silver first came out; I had that same sense of overwhelming excitement and anticipation, which is something I very rarely experience with video games anymore. Best of all, they FINALLY of rid of that godawful trumpet BGM. The anime was given a much needed fresh start, too.

HG/SS only made it better, and Platinum is arguably my favourite Pokemon game. I LOVE the fourth generation, and I don't see it being topped anytime soon unless the sixth pulls something incredible with the next game.

Years
  • It's a tough one for me, but behind Generations V and VI and I juggle between it and Generation I on my standing. V > VI > (I = IV) > III > II. I do still like the Sinnoh games because they had quite a bit to do, and the Pokémon were a good amount and quite a few challenging battles as well.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • From someone who grew up with the very first pokémon games it is hard for me to rank each gen.
    Because every gen introduced something big and new.
    But here goes and the biggest reasons why. I would list all reasons but it would get to big. I made the list based on my personal rating.

1. Gen ll, Because it improved A lot over gen 1 and introduced many features there are still present today and it was really cool that you could travel back to kanto and in the end battle the trainers from the first game. GSC 10/10
    2. Gen l, Because Yellow was my very first pokémon game. RB 9/10 Y 9.5/10 combined 9.25/10
    3. Gen V, Mainly for the story line. This gen we got no remakes or a 3rd version but we got sequals which I enjoyed very much. The story line was also good in both the first and the sequals. Loved that there was a hard mode in the sequals and the world tournament. BW 8/10 BW2 9/10 combined 8.5/10
    4. Gen IV, Gen VI changed a lot. Physical and special split and wifi which made pokémon really competitive, but at the same time sort of ruined the play together outside and in this gen most of my friends stopped playing. Also remakes of my favourite gen which also had following pokémon. The story of the gen was also cool. DP 7.5/10 HGSS 9.5/10 PL 8.5/10 combined 8.5/10
    5. Gen lll, Pokemon ruby and saphire lacked many good things and if they where the only games this gen this would be at the bottom. But we got remakes of the first gen and the 3rd version was just amazing compared to the first games. Also the gc games are one of my favourite pokémon games. RS 7/10 FRLG 8.5/10 E 9.5/10 combined 8,3/10
    6. Gen VI, It was my least favourite gen. There was a lot of things I liked what X/Y did, but the game was way to easy and no hardmode after gen V even not having the exp share on for the whole game and not grinding outside of trainer battles and my pokémon were still on par with the champion. The remakes also didn't help. After what they did with hg/ss I was very dissapointed in ORAS. XY 7.5/10 ORAS 7/10 combined 7.25/10

I got a lot more reasons for the score I gave the games. I would like to count the gc games to the gen3 list but this list is for main games only.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • This generation would have the be my favourite generation. Although, Gen II is also a big favourite of mine, both because of HGSS/Gold so I usually just lump them together.The reasn being I love this generation so muchis the graphics, the soundtrack and the fact that HGSS are two of the best main series Pokemon games ever.

Years
  • Easily the best gen IMO. Started here w/ Platinum, in Twinleaf town, making my way to Lake Verity to choose my first starter (which ended up being Piplup after failing to save after choosing Chimchar, how about that.)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    It fluctuates between first and second place, because there are times when I feel really nostalgic so I'd blindly put the third generation up first - but I did like the features of the fourth generation; I had lots of fun playing those games.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Gen IV is easily tied with Gen III for my all time favorite. It was the most memorable for me, and it introduced some amazing things to the games.

Years
  • This generation is second behind Gen III. To be honest, it's more because of DPPt than HGSS. This is probably due to the reason that I spent a lot of time on Platinum and I got myself heavily involved with the game, with several hours on my save file, probably the most hours of any Pokemon save I've had. It's just one of the games I've been able to have a lot of fun with; the graphics were amazing and there was a big jump from the previous Gen in terms of what you could do. I still play the game now doing different challenges.

Years
  • as far as the pkm roster it's one of my faves. Perhaps right after Gen 1. As far as the sinnoh games go... it's pretty forgettable.. i liked it more than Hoenn but less than all the others.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Gen IV was definitely my favorite generation. Though Gen VI is definitely a close second. Gen IV is firs thoguht definitely because of the Pokemon and difficulty behind it. My three favorite Pokemon are from this region (Buizel, Gible and Chimchar) and it has the second most difficult evil team (behind Team Plasma) in Team Galactic (IMO), Admin Mars always gave me some serious trouble. Lastly the difficulty for me personally was second to only FireRed (as i could not be that ice type E4 gal no matter how hard i tried, to this day i have not beaten it, so much rage quit) Team Galactic was awesome and i loved the legendaries they were after (Azelf and Dialga = bae). Just a great series. Like I said though, Gen VI is closing in fast, due to my love for Kalos and Goodra/Sylveon and a pretty above average storyline.

Back