• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which computer?

Years
    What was the reason for buying the computer you are using right now?

There are so many possibilities out there in what computer/laptop to buy. It feels like a never ending stream of them, with more being built each day. But my question is

Why did you decide to go with the computer you are on now, whether it is a pre-built, customized or your own build computer?
    Did you have any other choices in mind?
    Do you regret it now?

As for my own computer, I am using a Macbook Pro 15". The reason for the purchase was because I needed a powerful laptop to keep me going with a decent battery life, so that I didn't have to revisited the power socket every hour.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Why did you get the computer you're using now?
    My last computer just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Technically, my last computer was given to me four years ago. It had a Pentium 4 CPU that was probably under 2Ghz, 512 memory, a small hard drive, and I don't even want to think of the GPU it had.

I bought this computer in parts ages ago from a friend. He had the parts lying around. Probably not the best idea, now that I think about it.

Yeah, I could've bought every part brand new, or bought a system pre-built.

Do you regret it now?
    Yeah. I wish I bought the parts brand new. A lot of these parts are rubbish, especially the motherboard. :/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Why did you decide to go with the computer you are on now, whether it is a pre-built, customized or your own build computer?: I went with my current computer because my parents bought it for me as a gift, and to help me in school.
    Did you have any other choices in mind?: I couldn't think of better choices for my laptop.
    Do you regret it now?: No I don't.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    Why did you decide to go with the computer you are on now, whether it is a pre-built, customized or your own build computer?
    I decided on My Mac Pro, because I felt I needed a little more power, I was using my laptop in closed-lid mode anyway, and I wanted to move a few of the drives that were being daisy-chained in external housing to internal, faster Sata ports.

I was intrigued and actually did research into a slightly better spec'd Hackintosh, however after all the research I preferred something that I knew would work over something I'd most likely have to hack and jerry-rig to get it to work and even then there was the chance that I'd have to settle for less than full capabilities of some components.

Do you regret it now?
    Nope, I am very satisfied with my choice. If I had to nitpick about anything it would be that I should have probably gotten a newer model, but given what I've put into the machine and how it performs, I'm good with what I did get. (now whether I decide I want to upgrade the CPUs in it or just get a newer machine down the road, that I still have a ways to go before I reach that crossroads.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    Which computer?

Why did you decide to go with the computer you are on now, whether it is a pre-built, customized or your own build computer? Because it was affordable and a by far upgrade to my old 5 year old computer.

A few but could not fork out the cash for them.

Do you regret it now?
    Not one bit.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Why did you decide to go with the computer you are on now, whether it is a pre-built, customized or your own build computer? I pretty much HAVE to use this current peice of junk since my new computer doesn't have a modem. (I hate living in the middle of nowhere)

Not really. My dad bought it for my birthday, 5 years ago.

Do you regret it now?
    Not really, since i didn't pay for it.

Years
    Laptop: It was a gift for graduating high school from my parents. I had no say in the specs. It's not a bad laptop by any means, though.
    Desktop: I needed to replace a machine that was largely made of my dad's secondhand parts and it was having a fun time BSoDing me because the power supply was a crappy Cooler Master one. I opted for a custom rig since I already had a few parts I needed that were still good, and I wanted something that was easily upgradeable and was a significant upgrade over my previous machine, and that way I wouldn't have to worry about bloatware.

Honestly, I was just buying the desktop from bundle deals for the hardware. I didn't really consider any other options. Again, I had no say in the laptop.

Do you regret it now?
    Not really. Both are very capable machines, with decent onboard video, believe it or not. The laptop is intended to be a mobile BluRay player based on the stickers that were on it.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Desktop: I needed to replace a machine that was largely made of my dad's secondhand parts and it was having a fun time BSoDing me because the power supply was a crappy Cooler Master one. I opted for a custom rig since I already had a few parts I needed that were still good, and I wanted something that was easily upgradeable and was a significant upgrade over my previous machine, and that way I wouldn't have to worry about bloatware.

Heratic!

But then again, PSU's aren't their speciality.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I made mine because I like to know what goes into it. I don't trust companies not to insert redundant parts and software; and since I'm a stubborn XP user who likes 3in floppies, I could never buy a new PC how I want it anyway.
    Can't say I really regret using what components I did, I just didn't have all the money I would've liked.

Years
    I made mine because I like to know what goes into it. I don't trust companies not to insert redundant parts and software; and since I'm a stubborn XP user who likes 3in floppies, I could never buy a new PC how I want it anyway.
    Can't say I really regret using what components I did, I just didn't have all the money I would've liked.

I'm sorry, what on earth are you using 3.25" floppies for? Most members on this forum won't know what they are, lol. DOS software?

Redundant hardware is one thing... but the SOFTWARE. All companies are guilty of it. Apparently you need a 3rd-party Wifi interface, a dock at the top of the screen, 7 different AV trials and a goldfish simulator. :P

Years

Wow. Floppys?
    I remember when I could get a handful of documents on there and I thought it was amazing! XDDD​

Years
    I bought the newest MacBook Pro last year in late 2010. Why? Because I needed a new laptop and I liked Macs. Honestly I have no regrets buying this, it's fast, simple, good and has many features!

Back