• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

• Treecko

Votes: 110 42.3%
  • Torchic

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 94 36.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • I haven't picked the Fire starter since HeartGold, so I should be long overdue for one, but I just can't pass up on the chance to pick Treecko. My Treecko (now Sceptile) from Sapphire is the longest surviving Pokemon that I still have, so that line will always hold a special place in my heart. Who knows, maybe one day I'll migrate my original Sceptile over to OR/AS to be with my new one, and I'll train them together!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Mudkip. <3
    He was my first one ever the very first time I played Sapphire, and he'll be my first, again. c:
    Plus, he's just so cute. <3333

Years
  • Treecko, my very first Pokemon in the Third Generation, my future starter in these games, shall be REBORN.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Mudkip for sure :D. I am currently running a sapphire nuzlocke and I use mudkip in that.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2016
    Torchic! Never chose another starter in Ruby, got to stay true to my younger self <3 One of my favourite Pokemon forever <3

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • This will be very hard for me. Well I already played xy with the event torchic and I choose charmander and fennekin. So no torchic for me (besides i only like blazekin's design and don't care for the other two). Treecko was the very first starter i chose and loved all his evolution design's and leafblade at that time was so epic for me back then it's also my favourite grass starter.
    Mudkip is hands down my favourite water type starter and in lots of new game's it was my pick. In a lot of playtrough's it was my pick just because he was that good in that game. But i decided i will go for Treecko on my first run. I might even breed for a shiny one now and transfer it with pokébank if possible(without egg moves of course or it would be no fun)

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • toss up between trecko and mudkip right now... i voted trecko since that's the one i'll probably end up picking, i like his evolution line a lot, plus i like grass types

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I guess it must be cool to hate on Torchic and Blaziken these days.

I'll be choosing Torchic without a doubt, my first Hoenn starter in Sapphire so I'm going to replicate it in Alpha Sapphire. It probably helps that I didn't use the Torchic they gave away free for X & Y.

(I don't like Mudkip, I like Treecko but not more than Torchic)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I've replayed R/S/E several times and I've tried every starter, and I love all three of them, gen 3 is probably my favourite generation of starters. But I'll be definitely going with Mudkip, it was my first starter, and first Pokémon ever actually, in Ruby. And since I'll be getting Omega Ruby, having the water starter will be useful against Team Magma, plus Groudon. If I was planning on getting Aqua Sapphire, I'd have trouble choosing between Treecko and Torchic, but I'd probably go with Treecko eventually. But yeah, for me, Mudkip is the best.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Treecko, because I chose him during my very first playthrough of Emerald. x)

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Don't get me wrong. I love Torchic. I think Torchic is the best Gen 3 starter by far, and probably at or near the top of best starters of all time. Despite this though, I do not think I will be picking him in my first playthrough of ΩR/αS. There are two main reasons for this. The first one being that I have completed Gen III 4 times, and each time started with the adorable little bird. I did start a few games with Mudkip and Treeko, but never got around to finishing them.

The second reason is, assuming I'm right, that Sceptile and Swampert will get squeaky clean new Mega Evolutions. We already have seen Mega Blaziken, so it's not as exciting or new. I'm interested in seeing how they will change these two relatively uncompetitive Pokemon into powerful team members. It was a little more straightforward with Blaziken, as he already had an OP ability and fantastic stats, the Mega Evolution stat boosts and no new ability weren't really a surprise. However, Megas for these two could be more different. How about a sap sipper Swampert, and a Grass/Dragon Sceptile. Come on Game Freak, make it happen haha.

Anyway, back on topic, If Swampert and Sceptile get megas, I'll be choosing which design I like best and be choosing that one.

Years
  • Treecko.

Because if all starters get megas, Sceptile-Mega will probably be Grass/Dragon, and who doesn't want an awesome dragon/grass type ninja?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Curse you X&Y for giving me Torchic... YOU SEE, originally, I would have chosen Torchic since that's what I did when I first bought Ruby. However, I'm really bored of Blaziken now. I've played through R/S/E maybe 20 times at this stage, and I rarely choose Mudkip. I generally choose Treecko if I want more of a challenge late game, and go with Blaziken if I want to have a lot of coverage throughout the game. Though, I think I'll go with Mudkip. I underestimate how much I actually like Swampert. It feels like I'm turning my back on the Torchic trio for some reason, but I really think I'm starting to go off them now, given how much I've used them over the years. So I'm really looking forward to Swampert.

I'm confident that it's unlikely that Sceptile and Swampert will get better looking megas than Blaziken though. They're already quite detailed, but I imagine we'll see some Venusaur type of improvements to their design, subtle, but bulky. That suits me fine. So yeah, you herd right, i leik mudkipz.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    Mudkip probably but he'll be boxed as soon as I catch my first permanent team member since I never use starters in my playthroughs

Back