• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

• Treecko

Votes: 110 42.3%
  • Torchic

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 94 36.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • I still think Treecko is the way to go. o/ Sceptile is a monster with Leaf Blade in game, and will probably benefit from the past few generation's worth of mechanic changes. Plus it has a great movepool, and you can get great coverage with it's Dark & Dragon moves like Crunch and Dragon Pulse.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2014
    Out of all the games, these three starters were my favorite.
    For OR I plan on taking Mudkip as it was the first one I ever chose, and in AS I plan on picking Torchic.

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • I'm that guy who spends months trying to figure out.

Overall, I like Water-type starters. I picked Squirtle, Totodile and Piplup, and would've taken Froakie if Squirtle wouldn't be available as well. Mudkip is cute, I liek it, but I just have a bad feeling about him that I can't describe.
    In my first Generation III run (Sapphire), I took Torchic because it was the cutest thing ever and I knew it evolved into something badass. But he is too popular and I'm not really into Fighting types.
    Treecko is the one of best Grass starters in my opinion, but I just don't like Grass starters so that kind of takes it down.

Yeah, this is going to take a while.

EDIT: Wait a second, we don't even know what starter Pokémon will be in there! Maybe they'll introduce three whole new lines! No, I don't think so.

Last edited:

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I've got a lot of love for Treecko but I'm gonna have to go with my buddy Mudkip.

Swampert is just an absolute beast and Mudkip is super duper adorable.

I agree with what someone else said about Blaziken being boring now after seeing him so much in X&Y.

Years
  • No doubt I'll be getting Treecko, he's alway been in my top 3 starters. I've never been a fan of the other two despite them overshadowing Treecko, type wise and competitive wise.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
  • I chose Torchic in the original, but I'm not really fond of it anymore since it's become a bit of a Nubchicken. I'm pretty set on Treecko right now, which is who I voted for in the poll, mostly because Mudkip gets that 4x weakness to Grass when it becomes a Swampert.

Years
  • Grovyle (no, not Sceptile, I don't really like sceptile that much) is my favourite pokemon, though I want to use mudkip, because I haven't used one in a while, and Swampert is really cool.

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
  • I am a fire lover but as much as I want Torchic, I will chose Mudkip. I struggled in Sapphire trying to beat the first couple of gym leaders so I switch my fire buddy with water when I played Emerald. Mudkip was probably the first water type pokemon I came to adore and I have to admit, Swampert is awesome.

On gym leader battles Mudkip has proved himself time after time so I'm stuck with him. Wattson kept paralyzing my poor Torchic but with Marshtomp, that electric leader couldn't even harm him. But my Torchic will always be in my heart and might pick him but due to the challenges, I'm with Mudkip now. Plus, he's adorable and I'm now attached to him.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Has the existence of Mega Swampert or Mega Sceptile changed any of your decisions? I know it solidified mine: I'm definitely using Treeko now! Grass/Dragon <3

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I'm actually thinking about importing a team for my game run. Which means I would not care who the starter is. Or import five to complement a starter.

Usually I do Fire types, but I might change it up and use Mudkip. The immunity to Electric types as a Swampert is extremely useful and can be complemented well by an imported team of babies. The only downside is that the babies might level up TOO fast and I wind up losing control of them.

Years
  • 3rd Gen starters completely solidify themselves as the best starter group with their megas. I will definitely not pick Blaziken since we were given one with the WI-FI Event torchic. Though I liked Sceptile better before, the "Do You Even Lift?" (Only Upper body of course) Swampert is too cool for me to pass up.

Years
  • Mega Sceptile has confirmed my already cemented decision of choosing Treecko - it looks INSANE I can't believe they've made my favourite starter look even more epic haha :) Its design is flawless and its made up of all three of my favourite colours (orange, green, yellow) so I couldn't be happier :)

Of all the recent announcements regarding ORAS, Mega Sceptile has definitely been my favourite :) Overall I think I prefer the Hoenn Megas to the Kanto ones.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Now that I've seen the Megas, it makes this decision even harder!
    I was originally dead set on picking Mudkip but Mega Sceptile looks so awesome that I may have to go with Treecko.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    inb4 MegaSwampert becomes a "wrecking ball" meme. :D

Anyway, I've started my Hoenn journey with Treecko on my Ruby, and I'll pick Treecko in OmegaRuby when it comes out. ^^

Years
  • It might be a little obvious but I am definitely picking mudkip. Actually I plan to breed a shiny and transfer it over. I might actually transfer over all 3 shiny starters:)

Back