• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Moves depending on Type are you LEAST likely to use in a Pokémon battle gameplaywise?

Rundas45ma5h

Pokémon Collector/Digital Hobbyist
Years
  • The topic of this discussion is exactly what it says on the tin.

For example, and after having played through a lot of the games over the years, I've lately come to realize that I generally may be least likely to use Poison-Type moves in any battle gameplaywise, somewhat followed by Dark-Type moves as well for some reason, although there still might be some exceptions to this rule of mine, depending on the circumstances in-game. Guess it all largely depends on which kind of battle tactics one prefers to use gameplaywise, too.

Either way, just thought this might be a fairly interesting topic to discuss on this forum. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Dragon. Only hits Dragon super-effectively. Cannot learn the type on most Pokemon anyways. (Rarely has a Dragon type on the team, come to think of it.) Grabs a far more useful Ice move way easier.

Rarely uses Bug moves. Restricted most of them to Bug types. Cannot usually find (new) Leech Life, Bug Buzz, or U-Turn until late, if ever. Leaves just X-Scissor, which is a standard 80 power move with nothing extra. Favors other types to fill the gap in coverage.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Fairy, for the reason that I've played more games without the type than with it.

In games with the Fairy type, Normal. I'll use it in the early game when I'm stuck with it, but I rarely use Normal types that'd get STAB with it and I'd much rather pick Ghost or Dragon if I want a move that hits most types neutrally. Tons of Pokemon learn Shadow Ball and Shadow Claw, so I basically only use Normal moves if I want to run Facade on a Pokemon that benefits from status effects.

Dark is also kinda down there unless I'm using a STAB move on a Dark-type Pokemon, or don't have a way to learn a Ghost move.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, statistically, if you want to hit things for SE damage, the worst offensive type combo is in fact Normal/Dragon.

I'd say Dragon most likely. Rarely have a Dragon type on my team, so that means no STAB... and without STAB you better just get an Ice or Fairy move, which are great against other types besides just Dragon. Even if you do have a Dragon type, using it to fight other Dragons is usually not the best choice.

Normal is usually very underused in the late game, but you have to rely on Normal moves often, at least in the early game. Still has some interesting gimmicks for late game and competitive play thanks to moves like Explosion, Hyper Beam, Facade, and Boomburst.

Poison was essentially pointless before Gen 6. Most of the time it wasn't even worth having a move that's only SE against Grass. Same for Steel, as you could already SE hit Rock and Ice plus another three types with Fighting. But these two are more valuable with the Fairy rebalance.

Days
  • In my case it should be Grass. Most grass type Pokemon use more or less same moves, with few things here and there. Never really used grass type extensively apart from Venusaur in Leaf Green. Not really like Grass Type Pokemon as such.

And I can also say this for Dragon Type. I remember that most of the times I used to distribute only Dragon Claw or Dragon Pulse to Pokemon via TM, and both of them are regular damage dealing move. And coincidentally, many Dragon Type Pokemon don't even prefer using dragon moves apart from Draco Meteor, Dragon Dance or maybe Dragon Claw for sake of consistent STAB. Although I did used Outrage during some plays just to keep damaging over and over....

Rundas45ma5h

Pokémon Collector/Digital Hobbyist
    Years
  • Also, aside from the extremely rare occasions when I do use Dark- or Poison-Type Moves in a battle (usually as STAB Moves of course, if nothing else), it recently has occurred to me that I'm apparently no particularly frequent user of Normal-Type Moves either. This underutilization of those Moves probably stems in my case from the fact that they are not super-effective against any Pokémon, although some of them still offer some very interesting gimmicks gameplaywise, depending on the circumstances.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Poison. Unless it's Sludge Bomb. I can't think of a purpose to use a poison pokemon most of the time and it ends up being one of my most ignored types. Its strengths are done better by other types (steel for fairy types and basically everything else that beats up grass types).

Back