• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which starter will you choose?

Which starter will you choose?

• Rowlet

Votes: 111 42.0%
  • Litten

Votes: 93 35.2%
  • Popplio

Votes: 60 22.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    I was made aware of a fan theory involving the marking on its head, though, which is apparently the alchemical symbol for sulphur. This means Litten's final form could be Fire / Poison or Fire / Rock, which would, frankly, be disgusting and
    Fire/Poison involving their markings and so on could actually be really cool if done properly, and a bit dark and grunge-like. It would be a nice addition to the Poison line-up, which generally hasn't been used in that way. Fire/Rock is, as you say, possibly problematic, and might be a bit too straightforward, so it might be suboptimal.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Since the day I first played pokemon blue I have always chosen the water starter first. My twin brother always goes fire. I am going to hold of judgement on them until I see evolved forms, but right now Rowlet my change my usual route.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    I like all three of them unfortunately (Litten the least since I'm not a cat person, really) so I'm going to wait until their evolutions are revealed before I make my decision, but right now I'm going with Popplio.

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Chespin was the most popular X and Y starter until Greninja was revealed, correct?

Yes, although I always preferred Froakie anyways. Fennekin I least liked, and Delphx didn't do much to help it either.
    Greninja was just way too awesome not to like, and now we've got derpy clown seal.
    So as I said before, Rowlet for me. Litten doesn't look too bad to be honest, but the design is kind of a Litleo/Houndour mashup, makes it seem a bit generic.

Years
    Most likely Litten. The other two are boring and don't interest me. However, before I make my final decision I want to see what the evolutions look like first.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    My opinion on the starters:

Litten is my favourite of the bunch. It's so nice to have a fire cat, and it looks fierce too. I hope its evolutions won't be as disappointing as Pyroar.

Rowlet is cute and funny, and my second choice for the starters. If Solrock will be exclusive to Pokemon Sun, and gets a great Mega Evolution, I'll pick Rowlet as my starter in Pokemon Sun, and Litten in Pokemon Moon.

Popplio is my least favourite one. No offense to fans, but I think those ear things make it ugly. Let's hope it gets some better looking evolutions, just like Oshawott did.

Years
    I think you're right, but it would probably be more accurate to say that Chespin was the most popular XY starter until Chesnaught was revealed. I always felt that people flocked to Greninja less because they liked it and more because they had to avoid using Chesnaught somehow.

Yes, although I always preferred Froakie anyways. Fennekin I least liked, and Delphx didn't do much to help it either.
    Greninja was just way too awesome not to like, and now we've got derpy clown seal.
    So as I said before, Rowlet for me. Litten doesn't look too bad to be honest, but the design is kind of a Litleo/Houndour mashup, makes it seem a bit generic.

Yep, figured. So this is the third gen in a row where the initial grass starter is more popular than the others, before we even know/knew what their evolutions looked like. I am most likely sticking with Popplio just to be unique anyways like I did with Froakie, so hopefully his evolutions don't disappoint.

Keeby7

Some Donkus
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Rowlet is clearly the best and superior mon, but Popplio is a good second for me. I like how he can summon bubbles and juggle pokemon in them. Litten is also cute, and I like that little detail where the fur on its back stands up and turns red when it does an attack.

I am a bit torn. Recently I made a similar poll and got similar results to the one in this thread. Scoured through multiple sources to keep it as diverse as possible.

My mind may change in general depending on how the starters evolve, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2017
    I don't like how people choose starters based on what they evolve into on their first play through.. you shouldn't spoil yourself on that in the first place in my opinion. The first play through should be done blind, how else are you going to get a true opinion on the game?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    To be honest when I picked Fennekin I got disappointed by it's 2nd stage design since it wasn't revealed until you played the game. Both the 1st stage and Fennekin had a really nice design and then you end up with something else entirely with Delphox. Also the shiny version was kind of meh.

Years
    I don't like how people choose starters based on what they evolve into on their first play through.. you shouldn't spoil yourself on that in the first place in my opinion. The first play through should be done blind, how else are you going to get a true opinion on the game?

People usually like to see the final product, but then there's some who also like to go in blind and discover stuff themselves. This was why people didn't like how all the new OR/AS Megas being revealed before the games came out, because it ruined the "surprise".

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'll be picking up both versions, so I'll probably get to use a couple of starters, but my main one (probably on Moon) will be Popplio. I've used the water starter for my main playthrough of every generation, and I like tradition, so I assume I'll be sticking with that. I could analyze the starters to death and worry about which one to get, but ultimately, I know I'll settle on the water type anyway, so there isn't much of a point. And I can get the other starters later from trading regardless, so it's not a huge deal to me.

It's interesting that Popplio is so unpopular right now, though. I don't know if it's my favorite appearance-wise or not (it's definitely not my favorite water starter, and I'm a fan of Rowlet, too, but I like it reasonably well so far). I wonder how things will change when the evos come out (like how a lot of people liked Fennekin, but ditched it when Delphox came out). A couple of people commented that finding out about evos ruins the surprise, and that may be true for some people, but I've found that I don't like to be surprised by an evolution I don't like the look of (case-in-point: using Totodile for all of Gold because I decided that Croconaw and Feraligatr looked ugly when I saw them on a friend's game). Now, I've found if I spend some time to get used to an evolution that I'm unsure about, I'm more likely to like it (I like Feraligatr better now than I did nearly 16 years ago, for example), so I find early exposure to starters helps me, personally. But it's been so long since I've played a game unspoiled (since Gold, since I bought guides to read with every game at launch since, and now I enjoy reading about Pokemon on the internet a little too much, even if I don't need to do so to get through the game; I simply like doing it) that I don't remember what it's like to do so. I don't think the excitement would be quite the same as when I was younger, because, well, I'm older, and I know more. I'm also too much of a completionist and a planner (though I try not to come up with my whole team before I start playing a new generation), and I want to reset for good IVs at key moments, so I like to know when those moments are likely to appear in advance (and I like to know what stats to optimize). Yes, I know, in game IVs don't matter (except for legendaries, which you can't breed), but I still like to try to make my team at least somewhat decent for my playthrough.

So, Popplio for my main file on Moon. Perhaps Rowlet for my Sun file. Litten doesn't do it for me so far, but I'll see what the rest of its evolution line holds.

Years
    Presumably people can evaluate something if they know what they like. They don't need further gimmicks to aid their ability to evaluate something, unless it's not good enough to survive scrutiny of what is in it, at any point.

Years
    This is the first time since the Gen 2 games where I've been this undecided on my starter. While my first instinct was to go with Rowlet, I realized that I've picked the Grass type starter in the last three games (W2, Y & AS) and 6 out of 9 times overall, so it might be time for a change. Next on my list is Litten, though I'm a bit annoyed that we're getting another Fire type cat so soon, especially as Litleo and Pyroar were some of my favorite Kalos Pokemon. And if the legendary lion ends up being a Fire type too, then I'll be even less likely to pick Litten. That leaves Popplio, who I'm not a big fan of right now (in comparison to the other two- I wouldn't mind it on its own). And with a presumably tropical region like Alola, I expect there to be plenty of other chances to add a Water type Pokemon to my party early on.

Guess I'm going to have to wait to see what their evolutions hold. I'm sure at least one of them will have a surprise up their sleeve that'll either pull me in or push me away, but I'll be anxiously waiting until then!

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
    Hmm, I really don't know yet to be honest.

I'm thinking Rowlet, but that's cause yeah, it's real cute, but I love it's dual-typing. It's the reason why Tropious is one of my favorite Pokemons.

I think Flying/Grass Pokemon are badass

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
    Hmmm
    This is tough, As much as I like Rowlett, after seeing Popplio producing bubbles and juggling with them, I HAVE TO pick that little fellow. Too bad I dont have a 3DS, and will be on a world trip when this game comes out, so I will not play this game for a while after release. :(

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2017
    Litten for me. Because ...

The cat is on fire,
    The cat is on fire,
    He's walking on fire,
    He's covered in FIYAH!!

Back