• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who is the best Champion?

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    So far, there have been 10 Pokemon Champions (though two of them only held the title for like, five minutes), but who is the best of the best?

I think we can all agree that Wallace and Diantha were incredibly disappointing. Since I think most people are going to be divided between Blue and Cynthia, I'm going to give N some much needed praise.

Why does everyone forget this guy became Champion? He did defeat all the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and previous Champion. You also fought him several times through Black and White, getting to know him. He was a very deep character and not as black and white as previous antagonists in the franchise (I do indeed see what they did there). He was also the only Champion to use a legendary and returned in the sequel with a different weather team based on the seasons. Plus he's the Pokemon Whisperer. That's pretty cool.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    Cynthia probably had the most well rounded team, so I have to go with her. I found her to be the most difficult to beat out of all of the champions. She gets major props for having a Garchomp as well.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years

I'm casting my vote in favor of the fashionable person in the entire Pokémon world. He may only be champion in one game, but that outfit speaks for itself. Go Wallace! Also despite the fact that most monotype champions aren't as interesting as the others, I still quite like his team.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Cythia, It's bit hard to win against her because her team was so versatile and it isn't a cakewalk when you taking down garchomp or spiritomb

Years
    I think the best Champion is Lance, his dragons are so hard to defeat and at the time of his first reign as champion they were very few Dragon Pokemon to use against him. He also has some diversity which makes sweeping very hard, Cynthia's close in second but this guy took some serious beating.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
    Wallace, Blue, and N are my favourites—though my top favourite is Wallace. As Rainbow above said.. he's just so fashionable. I loved his team in both Ruby/Sapphire and in Emerald (when he was Champion) too. He's just all-around a great character tbh. <3

Niccia

Chocolate Witch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2017
    For me It's Blue, his team gave me a lot of problems, but I was young at that time so He may be not that difficult... Anyway, He was your rival, then became the Champion, ata that time it really surprised me.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years

I'm casting my vote in favor of the fashionable person in the entire Pokémon world. He may only be champion in one game, but that outfit speaks for itself. Go Wallace! Also despite the fact that most monotype champions aren't as interesting as the others, I still quite like his team.
    you forgot half of wallace Who is the best Champion? there ya go
    wallace is great and all but he deducts point from pulling off the outfit more than i can ever do showing too much skin, influencing the kids tsk tsk

My favorite is Cynthia, ik typical, but who can blame her? She's an amazing Champion to her great design, the wonderful variation of a team she has (like an common trainer's team would be varied too), her mysterious yet powerful aura about her, and her knowledge about the region's lore & background

Midi

Charming Ghost~
    Years

I can't say no to Cynthia. Not only is she great-looking design wise, her team is extremely well-balanced and covered each others weaknesses. She was so popular, she's been in mainline games (and in BW/BW2's case, able to be battled,) up until X/Y. I'm not lying when I say that the thing I want the most in Sun and Moon is being able to at least see her again. Would absolutely love to battle her, though.
    Image Source

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Blue and Lance, by a landslide. Blue has an excellent team and kickass theme, while Lance is a total hottie with a great backstory. {<3}

I hate how they (especially poor Lance) get overshadowed so much by the boring and overrated Red, Steven, and Cynthia. I mean, Red isn't even an actual character with a personality or anything.

Sirfetch’d

I think Steven is often seen as one of the weaker e4 members due to the fact that he is easily beaten by the two more common gen 3 starters, Swampert and Blaziken. I found him to be much tougher though in ORAS than compared to RSE. That said, no one is as tough as Cynthia. She has a perfectly balanced team of Pokemon that have well rounded stats. She's one of the only champions that I have had to strategically battle around.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    No love for my home boy Steven Stone

Don't worry, Steven gets plenty of love elsewhere, even in canon. Upgraded team in Emerald, cameo in HGSS, expanded role in ORAS, Mega Evolution specials... What else could a Steven fan ask for?

Poor Lance is the one who's gotten the proverbial middle finger. He's been in twice as many remakes as Steven, yet only got a fraction of the attention and promotion in them combined that Steven got in ORAS alone. And, he's had zero cameos in games outside of his home region (no, I don't count the PWT). And, he hasn't been seen or heard from in the anime since 2004. And, the "role" he had in Origins was barely cardboard cutout level. Just sad. :(

Sytiourious

#PopplioDefenseSquad
    Years

How could you ever forget about Iris?! The cutest champion ever! And also has a badass team. You would expect all Dragon, but she has other great types like Aggron, Lapras, and Archeops.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Cynthia probably wins just in regard to how difficult her team is. In terms of favorites though, I think Alder tops the list. He put the idea of the characters trying to aim further than an end point, and had an awesome encounter theme. That element of tragedy, and active role in the storyline really put him over the top for me. I thought Diantha had potential too, but she's never really developed in X/Y, and with the decision to go straight into the 7th gen, it's looks she won't ever be fleshed out either.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    That's because instead he got one of the most crazy roles/personas in the manga! Going from the rather nice - albeit typically - Champion to some cruel human being who wants to eradicate mankind and goes as far as to destroy a city!

Otherwise yes I agree, it's a shame Lance hasn't received more love.

That abomination is not Lance. >:( Lance is the kind, gentle, yet protective, hero of the games and anime. He's a good, noble man, and that manga thing is an insult to the character.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
    My favorite Champs have to be Cynthia and Steven Stone. Cynthia would relentlessly destroy me every single time I faced her, and Steven gave me quite the run for my money, too. His Emerald team I could simply not beat for a *long* time, but maybe that was due to my own lack of strategy :P

Back