• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

who's your favorite starter and most hated starter

select your favorite starter in this poll

• Bulbasaur and its evolutions

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Charmander and its evolutions

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Squirtle and its evolutions

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Chikorita and its evolutions

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Cyndaquil and its evolutions

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Totodile and its evolutions

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Treecko and its evolutions

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Torchic and its evolutions

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Mudkip and its evolutions

• Turtwig and its evolutions

• Chimchar and its evolutions

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Piplup and its evolutions

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Snivy and its evolutions

• Tepig and its evolutions

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Oshawott and its evolutions

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Tough choice, but I'm going with Mudkip because it's the very first starter I went with. My least favorite would be Chikorita because of its shallow movepool.

Years
For my fave, I went with Oshawott (you know me right) cos it was the only starter I chose in more than one game of the same generation (he was my starter in both Black and Black 2).

Least fave for me is Charmander, while I do despise all the Kanto starters, I especially hated Charmander cos of how overrated Charizard is. Blame Ash's Charizard in the anime for injecting my Charmander line hate fuel.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
My favorite is a tie between Chikorita and Charmander. I love cute pokemon, and those two are the cutest of all. I chose Chikorita though, because more people hate Chikorita so I thought I'd give it some love. (And it's evolutions are so cute!)

My least favorite would have to be Tepig. I got sick of fire/fighting, and its evolutions are ugly.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
My favorite starters to date have the be the cute sea otter Pokemon and their evolution Oshawott, Dewott, and Samurott. In my mind 'Greatest starters ever created, - should have been created in the first generation'

Most hated starters from me has to be either Chikorita, Chimchar or Torchic, they were not too exciting for me, Chikorita takes the name for the worst.

Years
Had to think a good while about this, but I'd say that my favorite starter would have to be Piplup. Empoleon's Water/Steel typing left it with only 3 weaknesses and 2 types that dealt regular damage. I think Platinum was the heaviest that I've ever relied on my starter, and boy did it come through.

On the flip side, my least favorite starter would be Turtwig. Out of all the 15 starters that we currently have, Turtwig is the only one I've never owned, and have no plans on it really. A combination of its design and typing really turned me off from it, and it's by far at the bottom of my list.

D Dog master of war

In the heart of battle!
Years
my favorite is Totodile because his evolutions cool great and powerful and just look at dat muscles and bulk Feraligater,and his base stats are unique look no other pokemon he can take lots of hits if EV Train him right,he is still a powerful Pokemon too use and OU,And its huge Movepools

Less favorite is Typhlosin and its line,it has all the same stats as chamanders line......what a rip off,and its horrible movepool,and lack of covering itself(and yes Hidden Power can help him,but too bad the maximum for the move is only 70 power points)

and I hate it because how overreated off of a Pokemon's staes

and Charizard is way better

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
My favorite would be the Squirtle line of starters and least favourite would be snivy line of starter pokemon. I am sorry but it's just too weak in battle.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
It was a difficult decision between Charmander, Totodile and Mudkip... They're all so great in their own way! But I think Charmander comes out on top.
Edit: Forgot to mention least favourite haha, they'd have to be Tepig and Chikorita. I never really liked them or wanted to use them...

Last edited:

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Treeko and it's evolutions are just too freaking awesome, I always used to choose Treeko when playing Ruby and Emerald except once when I chose Mudkip to try something different aha. Sceptile is just BAWS

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
My favorite starter is Charmander, he is powerful and his evos are great!
Less favorite are th grass ones 'cause i don't like Grass Type too much.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Favorite Starter is Charmander. Long story short, raising a Charmander in Pokemon Red when I was a kid gave me an experience that basically set the course for how I would live the rest of my life.

Least Favorite Starter is Piplup. The only starter where I absolutely despised every stage of evolution. I found Piplup to be immensely annoying (I blame Dawn's little creature). Prinplup came off snobbish and was aesthetically to me the least tolerable of any second stage starter. Empoleon does have its advantages (namely the fact that its resistant to a plethora of types) but it just gives off a type of pompous douchebag vibe that is just repulsive to me.

Anyone who likes the Piplup, more power to ya, but it just doesn't work for me on any level. In Black and White, Oshawott would have come very close to this if it wasn't for how cool its last two evolutions are (especially Dewott being the coolest looking second stage Water starter I've seen).

My favorite's got to be Infernape, it's the best one, of course.

Least favorite... Hmmm, Swampert.

Y U No Like Mudkipz? (lol. Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Last edited:

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
My favorite has to be the Piplup line just because I can't finish any of the 4th gen games without starting out with Piplup. I tried Chimchar and Turtwig but it just didn't feel right at all, so I always revert back to Piplup.

Least favorite is definitely the Chikorita line. Furthest I went was up to the first gym, then I stopped and created a new file with a Cyndaquil instead.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
My favorite would have to be Turtwig. I love Torterra. It has one of the coolest designs and its grass/ground typing is interesting. It helped me so much in Diamond. Ok so least favorite... probably Piplup... although I don't really dislike it.... its just not all that great in my opinion. I've used every starter in every generation at some point... and Piplup and its line just seem the least appealing to me :/

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
My favorite starter is definitely Torchic. Torchic himself is very cute and adorable, but his evolutions become so cool-looking! Right now, im praying for Fennekin not to be Fire/fighting, but back then, i thought it was one of the coolest type combos out there! It was something new and unique, no other Pokemon had the same typing as Blaziken. Also, i loved the Hoenn region, and you could beat almost the entire Elite 4 just using your mighty Blaziken (or at least, thats what i did) :D

Back