• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Do People Hate Grass types?

Have you ever used a grass type

• Total voters

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
Years
  • I'm not sure if this is in the right place but whatever
    The title states what this thread is about also a few other thing's as well.

Why do People hate them
    Grass types seem to be the best to me even though my first pokemon ever was a grass type it dosen't effect my opinion they have great speed right next to bug they only have some weak attacks when they are in their later levels they have great attacks yes they may have 5 weaknesses but still fire? fire types are usually very rare plus they have multiple ways to counter fire torterra being the best at this,
    poison: poison type moves aren't very strong anyway plus some of them are poison types,Ice: Ice usually is very rare as well and at least ice types don't resist grass so they have a chance,Bug: bug types are usually weak usually faint in one hit anyway,Flying: flying types are usually normal types considering only one is pure many grass types can learn a fighting type move. So I just don't get why there is a reason to hate them.

The starters: Bulbasaur,chikorita,treecko,turtwig,and Snivy.

Bulbasaur: is a great starter turns into a tank and learns great grass moves in the beginning no reason not to use him but all the props charizard get's it's not hard to see why.

chikorita: I used chikorita only about twice because I liked cyndaquil cyndaquil was the cutest and probably the best to use for jhoto because there wasn't a water type gym (I think) and reigon had a lot of bug types and flying type's it was pretty hard to use it there.

Treecko: My first pokemon my second favorite as well treecko was the easiest to use in the region and was the best anyway literally half of the region was made of water it has very good speed, attack,and defense plus it was the easiest to use against the legendary pokemon anyway

turtwig: He was the best for the sinnoh reigon he could beat both of the starters and had great moves no reason not to use him

Snivy: He get's so much hate for some unknown reason he destroyed oshawott and had the best speed good attack and defense and very good moves at a low level and he looked the best as well.

I like all grass types but i don't exactly get to use them because of my choice of starterbut their still great anyway and more people should use them (seriously) fire types are really overused
    Pokemon X&Y I don't know what starter to use exactly still deciding.
    Those of you who use grass types I give you Props.

Newer Gens: the newer gens are great the anime and the game I like the new graphics and pokemon and yet people say they hate them and if they didn't make more gens then it would be super boring
    more pokemon = more fun for me. Props to those who like grass and the newer gens.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I guess people dislike Grass types because of their numerous weaknesses...they're tied with the Ice type for most weaknesses as one type. Also, don't consider just starting with the Grass-type, take the long run. If you used a Pokemon like, say Jumpluff against someone like Alder, his Volcarona will utterly destroy the Jumpluff...these days, the Grass type's weak types are becoming ever more common (especially the bug-type, considering Bug Buzz).

The grass type isn't really good anymore, as its becoming outclassed as the Pokemon series goes on.

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
    Years
  • I would not agree grass aren't getting outdated it's just some terrible moves like bugbuzz that kill them off plus I don't think using a jumpluff against a volcorna would be a smart idea
    anyway unless you use a flying type move combined with speed

Years
  • I did not know that people hate Grass types so much. Guess it is because of their weakness among some "popular" types such as Flying,Fire,Ice. I chose Snivy as my starter in Black ! I am not a huge fan of the Grass type tho, but I do not hate them lol

Years
  • I actually love most of the designs of Grass-types, as they tend to make great counters to the ever-common Water-type, of which a lot are encountered. They may have a few common weaknesses, but some Grass-types can actually be very powerful (like Exeggutor, Lilligant, Breloom, Roserade etc) while some are just plain annoying to face due to their wide support movepools (a notable one is Prankster Whimsicott) plus most can learn a status-inducing move which is handy when catching Pokemon, and they also find their way into sun-based teams in competitive play as well due to the added benefits the sun gives to SolarBeam (doesn't have to charge up before hitting) and it even triggers abilities like Chlorophyll, which makes them really fast in the sun, they can also tandem well with Fire-types since Grass can counter Fire's key weaknesses of Water, Ground and Rock. Also in later generations, a lot of Grass-types have been getting pretty diverse but unique type combinations, like Ferrothorn being part-Steel, giving it a load of resistances, and Torterra is part-Ground, a type that counters Fire, then there's also Ludicolo's unique Water/Grass-type eliminating Water's most major weaknesses plus it's a great rain abuser.

Years
  • Grass is neither a type I hugely like or dislike, as with most things the individual pokemon come down to their design for me. The Bulbasaur and Bellsprout evolution lines are some of my favourite pokemon.

As mentioned by Hikari, there are quite a few credible Grass types in terms of battling such as Ferrothorn.

The type could really be helped by having a cool legendary (each grass legendary so far has had more of a cute design than a kick ass design) and it could also help if Chespin has the superior evolution designs so that more people pick him. But regardless of this happens or not, I'm sure Grass will always be more liked than types such as Bug and Ice.

jiminy_jam

Stuck inside a Net Ball
    Years
  • I'm a fan of Grass Pokemon. They're my favourite type.
    They seem fun and if you train them right, they are pretty brutal.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Na, can't beat Shaymin. So cute in both formes! And Sky forme is a beast. It's like a broken version of Togekiss, with more weaknesses.

I personally don't hate the grass type, I just don't usually put them in my team. I always aim to use Sceptile, but end up going for Swampert because it's easier, or Blaziken because I like Torchic so much. Other than Venusaur, Ludicolo and Roserade I don't really use them. Occasionally Turtwig gets a chance. For a water counter I usually prefer electric-types such as Pikachu, Manectric, Electivire.

Competitively though, grass-types get slated for obvious reasons: loads of weaknesses, and their attacks hitting barely anything harder than a decent Earthquake can.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2013
    I don't hate Grass types, but my Snivy did piss me off after choosing it... argh. How you ask? I expected it to learn Sleep Powder among other useful moves that last time I played Pokemon, Bulbasaur learned these moves and was a favorite of mine. I was let down by Snivy's movepool and have recently begun hating on Grass types a little bit, but I don't hate Bulbasaur or them in general.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Grass types are hated for these following reasons:

- They usually have very shallow movepools, making it difficult to counter the most common Pokemon (Scizor, Volcarona, Dragonite, etc) without switching out, which is seen as suicide for competitive players, and forces you to use the atrocious Hidden Power move.

- Almost every Water type knows Ice moves, and their bulky stats allows them to survive a Grass move in order to retaliate with Ice Beam.

- All Grass types are outclassed by Ferrothorn, in terms of stalling the enemy, because of its Steel typing, one of the most common types in the metagame.

The best solutions to help Grass types is by giving them Rock moves, which covers 4/5 of their weaknesses, Ground moves, Weather Ball, Nature Power, or Natural Gift.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    I don't feel very strongly either way about grass types, though their weaknesses tend to be a bit annoying. With a few exceptions i generally prefer to just put a grass move on one of my other pokemon. But i will say that a couple of my all time favorites are grass types, specifically Virizion, Lilligant and Venusaur.

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
    Years
  • Twilight yes that may be true but rock types have the same amount of weaknesses and I don't see them get hated on at all

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • As this is more about Grass type Pokemon as a whole, and not game specific, I'm moving this to Pokemon General. I don't have much to add to the discussion, but for what it's worth, one of my favorite Pokemon is a Grass type. ;3

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I don't have any issues with Grass types, some of my favorite Pokemon (such as Servine, and Leafeon) are grass. Someone above me mentioned that with the right moves, ability, and in the right team they can be good battlers.

In most of my games I always have a grass Pokemon.

Last edited:

Manfred Mankey's Earth Band

President of the Apocalypse
    Years
  • Hate is an overstatement people don't use grass starters because they can find other grass types early. Plus you can counter a grass type with some water types because some can learn ice type moves and can be raised with good stats. Grass types are still useful because they can use a lot of HMs and take on water types which have only 2 weaknesses. That is all i have

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Never had any issues with them, other than they *are* my all-time favorite Pokémon. I understand that they have numerous weaknesses and they are very sucky competitively, but they can be useful for casual players. There will be times that you will need one. xD

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
    Years
  • Manfred I don't think it's an overstatement because people see me use grass types all the time and they say they hate them, Meganium I wouldn't agree I would say grass types are very good competitively because of their great speed and quick strong attacks

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
    Years
  • well, grass types are mah favorite type. Always has been. Chikorita being mah absolute fav of all the type. lol

And if u ask me, there's no such thing as a strong or weak type. All Pokemon have weaknesses...it's just up to how da player decides to exploit that weakness; when pit up against another pokemon, that is.

Years
  • It's because they can't hold their own in competitive battling. Generally it's because they have too many type disadvantages, a sub-par movepool, and cr*ppy stats. They just aren't up for it.

Years
  • I can't say as if it's really that people hate Grass types, but there are usually much better choices available which cause them to go unused. As a few people have mentioned, Grass types don't really have the greatest of movepools available to them, their moves aren't very effective against nearly half of the 16 other types, and they're left with many weaknesses to common types like Ice, Fire and Flying.

As long as you're aware of things like this, you shouldn't have a problem in using a Grass type Pokemon, but it's probably those same reasons that deter some people in the first place.

Back