• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why I think HG/SS won't meet it's expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
Years
  • About the tuts, I believe that there's only 1 you will probably have to face in HG/SS and it was unavoidable like in G/S/C, unless you want to go around without a map.

Obviously you don't get it and refuse get it. But I will say this:

If we take away every feature that you don't want what kind of game will we have? Hmmm, I'm seeing a game where we just play a dull form G/S/C and collect pokemon.

-No extras (That's a lot to type so I'll just say that)
    -A bag i which we'll search in for 5 minutes looking for that last freaking potion in a battle
    -Walking until getting a bike (let me mention now that 4 gen characters walk slower than previous gens)
    -No new ways of evolution (I mean, it's too much to trade them for a few seconds or waste time making them happy, right?)
    -No rematching Trainers (They got stronger after each battle, wild pokemon will stay the same level and that's a slow grind to higher levels. The Vs Seeker is, in a way, the upgraded phone from G/S/C)
    -G/S/C berries (I may have never planted much, but it's better than waiting 5 days just to have 5 oran berries)

The list can go on and you know what...that'll be the worst game ever. I'd much rather play G/S/C in it's old fashion graphics than to play HG/SS in the way you want it. The extras are to make it more fun and to give us something to do once we're finished with the main plot (or during it). Really, no one wants a game these days where you pass it in like 5-10 hours with straight forward gameplay and that's it, nothing else.

Well then, here you go. I posted this while you guys were 'at it'.

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
  • By the way Johnny, "Your contradicting yourself" is grammatically incorrect :P It should be "you're" :D

Agh!! I just realized that, lol!! Just finished fixing it...hahaha I always confuse your and you're....xD

Anyways, back on topic. HG/SS would officially make me love it if I could catch a Larvitar or a Chinchou early in the game....that would....complete me in a Pokemon sort of way, lol.

But if it stays like it did in the original Metal games, What's the point of catching a Larvitar when you're already the league champion? ;__;

Kerjo said:
    I think it will meet expectations, simply because it's G/S/C updated. That alone is good enough for most 2nd Gen lovers. Also, it gets a plus with the new features! (I can't wait to have a Scizor follow me around) =D

Why stop there? Imagine a freaking GYARADOS following you around, lol!!!

Hydrath said:
    and everytime a guy says that a army of women are stanting behind them ready to give a good wacking.

Lmao...classic....hahahaa

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Zeta Dimentio said:
    Okay, I just have to say this... Heart Gold and Soul Silver won't meet the freakishly high expectations everyone is pegging it with. Why do I know this? Because people place their expectations way too high. It may be a remake with added features, but there is no way that it will meet everyone's expectations, unless they are really low, because of one simple fact...

When you get something, its value lowers in your mind. And you already know everything, so you can't find anything out about it. That's why I'm not checking on the updates anymore, it will be a little more of a surprise, but I'm getting off topic.

But some of the features are indeed unnecessary. I, personally, hate planting berries, but I ignore it. The tutorials are really irritating, but I put up with it because there are new people coming in. Personally, I wish they would give you the option to go through the tutorial, but that's just me.

The extra Battle Areas, I hate as well... unless they have some sort of storyline, like the Galactic storyline in the Battle Zone, but if it is like the Battle Frontier, then no. It does seem pointless, but I do know that people like it.

I like the DS, there is nothing I can say that's bad about it other than the fact that it's wide. But a TV and a game system run differently.

And I was never a fan of the added features like Drawing, hell, I don't even like contests, but others do.

Personally, I also hate events, because there is no possible way I can get them. Either they are too far away, or they use Wi-fi, which I do not have, and every time we go near a place with wi-fi, it's only for a few seconds, giving me no time. But some people do have wi-fi, or live near where events are.

So some things on what you do and don't like are hit and miss with me, but I do completely agree with you on one thing...

HG/SS will not meet everyone's expectations, and if you think they did, then you probably lowered your own expectations without you even knowing. That's all I really have to say.

Following Kerjo's example, I am quoting my post from earlier, which was posted while you guys were... 'at it' (Couldn't think of anything else to say)

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    About the tuts, I believe that there's only 1 you will probably have to face in HG/SS and it was unavoidable like in G/S/C, unless you want to go around without a map.

Obviously you don't get it and refuse get it. But I will say this:

If we take away every feature that you don't want what kind of game will we have? Hmmm, I'm seeing a game where we just play a dull form G/S/C and collect pokemon.

-No extras (That's a lot to type so I'll just say that)
    -A bag i which we'll search in for 5 minutes looking for that last freaking potion in a battle
    -Walking until getting a bike (let me mention now that 4 gen characters walk slower than previous gens)
    -No new ways of evolution (I mean, it's too much to trade them for a few seconds or waste time making them happy, right?)
    -No rematching Trainers (They got stronger after each battle, wild pokemon will stay the same level and that's a slow grind to higher levels. The Vs Seeker is, in a way, the upgraded phone from G/S/C)
    -G/S/C berries (I may have never planted much, but it's better than waiting 5 days just to have 5 oran berries)

The list can go on and you know what...that'll be the worst game ever. I'd much rather play G/S/C in it's old fashion graphics than to play HG/SS in the way you want it. The extras are to make it more fun and to give us something to do once we're finished with the main plot (or during it). Really, no one wants a game these days where you pass it in like 5-10 hours with straight forward gameplay and that's it, nothing else.

First, mom explains the pokegear. Second, the legendary ball catching tut.

I never said I hated rematching trainers, I just said that the VS seeker was an unnecessary menu to go through.

I never said anything against G/S/C berries. I don't like having to take one out of the inventory to plant it, and I don't like having dumb berries where the soul purpose is to make cubes out of them for contests and safari zones. That's kinda dumb. If they're going to make a berries bag make it for ONLY the berries that AREN'T BATTLE USEFUL.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    the only thing i didn't really like from the original GS is the phone ._.

every five minute you get a challenge from a bugcatcher saying
    I ALMOST CAUGHT A RATATTA FIGHT ME OKAIBAI
    or from your mom
    "HAAAAAAAI HONEY~! I BOUGHT YOU A NEW CLEFAIRY DOLLIE...with your money OOPSIE! MOMMY LOVES HER LITTLE CHAMPION, OKAIBAI" lmfaoo

but i can't expect them to leave it out rotfl

my expectations are pretty high i admit xD but i think the game will be great~

I think the tutorials kind of add to the story as well
    your a new trainer, someone is gonna show you the ropes, geddit?

as much as i dislike battle tower/fronteir, i could live with it though
    its not like i'll actually use it >.>

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • Agh!! I just realized that, lol!! Just finished fixing it...hahaha I always confuse your and you're....xD

Anyways, back on topic. HG/SS would officially make me love it if I could catch a Larvitar or a Chinchou early in the game....that would....complete me in a Pokemon sort of way, lol.

But if it stays like it did in the original Metal games, What's the point of catching a Larvitar when you're already the league champion? ;__;

Why stop there? Imagine a freaking GYARADOS following you around, lol!!!

Well, hopefully trading with D/P/Pt will become avaliable after Elm's Errand (like in G/S/C and since they are suppose to take place at the same time I see no reason to wait until Ecruteak and the Time Machine or HG/SS pal park). That way he could even be your starter (in a way)! =D

Yeah, that would be awesome, espcecially it's the Red one will still be red. But still, I love Scizor more.

First, mom explains the pokegear. Second, the legendary ball catching tut.

Well okay, that's two tuts, mom talks for a few seconds and the old man shows you around. The ball catching tut can be avoided by saying no.

I never said anything against G/S/C berries. I don't like having to take one out of the inventory to plant it, and I don't like having dumb berries where the soul purpose is to make cubes out of them for contests and safari zones. That's kinda dumb. If they're going to make a berries bag make it for ONLY the berries that AREN'T BATTLE USEFUL.

Wait, I'm confused? What about the berries for battle. If you meant it the other way around meaning 'make a bag only for berries useful for battle' they are usually placed at the top: easy access. But I liked making pokeblocks and Poffins when I wanted to do contest...so yeah.

As for the Vs Seeker, make it like in Emerald, where you can call back certain trainers and Gym Leaders and check when they're ready to battle again. (I'm not sure if this is the one you're talking about...I haven't touched the Advanced Gen in a while now)

I would like 2nd Gen evos, but there is a screenshot somehwhere confirming that they aren't showing up until after E4.

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
    Years
  • OR GIVE OUT ELMS! THAT WOULD KICK ASS!

"Elm: Kuru? Did you give out my phone number? Some retard keeps telling me about his Ratata he caught. It's annoying. I have to change my number now, all because of you. Don't be a ******** next time."\
    That has to be the best idea ever. That would save my life. It would get all those annoying trainers off of my back. And I'll make my mom spend Elm's money instead of mine, too.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Please remember to keep your posts on the thread topic, rather than responding to arguments, and to respect other people's opinions (as they WILL differ - not everyone will like everything) without swearing at others and all of that rubbish. This thread was a mess.

I'm keeping this open for now, but if it gets out of hand, then it's likely it'll be closed. No more discussion of that, please - only on the thread topic itself.

Years
  • I for sure will like this game a lot better than any other Pokemon game I've played. It has exceeded my expectations. I would have expected that only the starters could follow, but they proved me wrong by making all the Pokemon follow. I thought the music would be heavily remixed like FrLg's music was. The GSC music sounds almost the same, but better. I know I'm going to like this game the best. It takes place in my favorite region, I get to start off with my first ever/favorite Pokemon again (Chikorita was my first Pokemon), I can have any Pokemon follow me, I get to see my favorite legendaries again, there are much better graphics this time, the bag is more organized and has more pockets, the Pokegear is back, the radio finally makes a return (I love the Pokemon radio), it appears that you can store more phone numbers,the Pokedex appears much easier to navigate, the mom will save my money again (She was the most useful parent. Her saving money is OPTIONAL. She asks you if you want to save your money, you can say yes or NO. You can even call her and you can even have her stop saving your money. I actually like how my mom is a bank in this game. I can easily deposit all of my money to my mother before battling the Elite Four, so in case I lose, I don't have to give up a lot.) The Pokegear is still simple, but they added the itemfinder and improved the Pokegear graphics-wise a lot. I like how the menu is no longer on the top screen. I like it better on the bottom screen, so I can see if there are any trainers nearby. If I can't get a Teddiursa early on, so what? I don't have to use it. I can use still Scizor and Corsola in my party.

For me, I consider HGSS to be the final product of Johto. I see GSC as a test to see if I would like the game of the future. (I know this is a remake, but still. I see HGSS of how GSC should have been.) The game makers have more freedom and more memory to make this game awesome. We can even see more times of the day. Including afternoon and dawn. The graphics look more amazing than I expected them to look. Goldenrod city looks a million times better.

It may not meet some other people's expectations, because they want everything, but they exceeded my expectations. I've played all the games and noticed that some games have different features from other games, but some were removed. They removed day/night, but it came back and it will be back in this game.

The sprites in this game look much better than the ones in previous games. I don't care if they use DP trainer sprites, as long as they have new ones, too, it's fine with me.

I could care less if they removed contests, because I could easily trade my Johto pokemon to Platinum to get ribbons and then trade back. There are no rules against it. So what if I have to wait until I get the national dex to do it. I didn't start contests until after I beat the game. The berries now are much better. They are very useful. They heal status (Poison, paralyz, burns, frozen, sleep) without you having to spend money, Leppa berries restore PP. Makes it easier so you don't have to use only Elixers, Max Elixers, Ethers, and Max Ethers. Sitrus berry and Oran berry restore HP. It's useful for the lower level pokemon. The other berries can be used for making Poffin or can be exchanged for contest items. The underground made it easier to get fossils (I had 6 Omanyte at one time) It provided a challenge. I felt like I earned my water stone, 20 fire stones, etc. (You can sell the extra stuff you obtain.) I use the extra money to buy things in the Villa. I can afford it. I know I can easily obtain the money again.

If I can't go underground in HGSS, I honestly wouldn't mind. I wouldn't want to get sick of it. I could easily do these things in Platinum and trade the items over. (I put my items in alphabetical order. It's actually easier to find something. I also organized the PC boxes to make them national dex numerical order. Wasn't too hard.

Other things I like about what they have done with this game: Gold looks much cuter. The boy actually looks good for once. The girl doesn't overshadow him. He's the coolest male playable character ever. His hat and hair look better, too. We have a new playable character. I'm glad they didn't recycle Kris. She was my least favorite female. I like the fact that this new character isn't wearing something with a Pokeball on it. I like the hat with the bow. I'd rather have a bow than a Pokeball. I like how her clothes match. I didn't like seeing pink and red mixed together. The rival looks much better now (to me he does). He's updated and I like how they made his hair. He's much cuter. He didn't even remind me of Mars or Roark. He's supposed to have red hair. His original hair was almost that style except he didn't have part of it sticking it up adorably like that. Team Rocket looks better as well. (I'm going by Soul Silver's intro.) The executives got better clothes. I like it. It reminds me of Jessie and James' uniforms.

They did a much better job with this game than I expected. I'm happy to see an actual well for Slowpoke and that they have added windmills to New Bark Town. I also like how they made it rain at the Lake of Rage. I love everything I know about the game so far. It exceeded my expectations.

I could care less if it didn't exceed anyone else's. No offense to anyone.

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
    Years
  • My word, Ash. That was long lol

Things I agree on are:

The GSC music sounds almost the same, but better.
    This has to be what I looked forward to most in these games :3
    I can have any Pokemon follow me. Wailord tagging along? Epic!
    Mom will save my money again Although her buying stuff with it was a little annoying at first, I appreciated it in the long run.

For me, I consider HGSS to be the final product of Johto.
    Point taken.
    The sprites in this game look much better than the ones in previous games. I don't care if they use DP trainer sprites, as long as they have new ones, too, it's fine with me.
    I can't wait to see all the updated sprites, especially the gym leaders.

The berries now are much better. They are very useful. They heal status (Poison, paralyz, burns, frozen, sleep) without you having to spend money, Leppa berries restore PP. Makes it easier so you don't have to use only Elixers, Max Elixers, Ethers, and Max Ethers. Sitrus berry and Oran berry restore HP.
    I can't tell you how many times the new berries have saved my life.

If I can't go underground in HGSS, I honestly wouldn't mind.
    I never cared much for the underground, save for personal base of course.

Gold looks much cuter.
    Oh most definitely. His new design is absolutely lovable.

I also like how they made it rain at the Lake of Rage.
    Honestly, that's how I always imagined it looking like. Great touch.

Years
  • I think the game is going to be alright at best. I'm going to hate the fact that the pokemon is going to follow you around. Pokemon belong in the pokeball not to be walking next to me. It's going to be lame.
    I just hope they stay true to the roots. I'm excited for the return of team rocket though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2016
    I think what made G/S/C great was the fact that you had learned about things from the previous games and you get to apply those teachings in a completly new environment where you have no idea what to expect.

Its the same with all games, with R/B, G/S, R/S, D/P they were predessors(I hope it spelled it correct) of the previous games where you found the joy of new environments, new pokemon and rekindled adventures you've never had before.

With Y, C, E and P, you new what to expect so they wern't no suprises.

However, remakes from once ago change the pokemon, graphics, and generally add features that were needed for enhanced gameplay. They are giving the same plot, maps and routes but because they were from so long ago, it's more of a refreshment then a repeat to play them. This is evident in FR and LG

So I believe that HG and SS will be alot like FR and LG and be a refreshment to play rather than a replay. Plus, they don't stick to the same stuff, they will change around the maps, routes and such for more fun. Plus, you get nostaglia (if I spelled it right) without having you comprimise graphic expectations.

But It might not recieve as well reception than Diamond and Pearl because it's the same gameplay with different looks

But I'm looking foreword (again, spelling) for it

Enraged_Nightmares

ZE MONSTER O_O
    Years
  • I see what the guy means...The pokemon games HAVE had many new features that arent EXTREMELY neccessary to the game, but still, its gonna be an awesome game! Its the greatest games that have ever been realeased on a hand held console being revamped!!

JUST THINK OF THE GOOD OLD DAYS ALL OVER AGAIN!

xXI JOE IXx

Of course, when it doesn't, we'll simply lower them.

I don't think Nintendo gets the idea. Pokemon GS was so great because it was simple.

Think about it. Back to a time before Pokemon: Dash and all the spinoff BS. Before the Poketech, the PokeWalker, planting berries, all that crap. Pokemon GS was the best balance we've seen between lots of features and a good game. (It's excess features were, for the most part, USEFUL. The radio and making calls were part of the game. Now with the Poketech, you've got stuff like drawing. IF I WANTED TO DRAW I'D OPEN UP PICTOCHAT, I DIDN'T PAY $35 TO DRAW!) I'll admit pokemon following you is cool, but nintendo fails to realize that it's the simplicity we liked. With Diamond and Pearl, you had a long time before you were done with the tutorials. The DP tutorials were WAY to long, by the time I reach the third route I want the dumb game to leave me along about tutorials!

With the exception of your home, every feature had a reason. The touch screen in overkill in pokemon, it just raised the ability of developers to put stupid stuff into games.

This is also why i hated fire red and leaf green. This should have been posted in the complaints topic, sorry.

Years
  • ^ Yeah, I think you're right. Besides, this thread is pretty much a downer as it is. I agree that the first post should be in the complaints thread. I know I "don't have to read" the posts, but I was hoping that some people would stand up for this game and be grateful without acting like a spoiled child over it.

Also, there is no way to prove this wrong other than saying that they have exceeded your own expectations. I'm in this section for the purpose of finding out info about the games and to talk about my opinions on it. I look in all the threads and read them looking for people who share my ideas.

Sometimes I wish I never even came to this forum. That way, I wouldn't be annoyed that almost everyone's putting down a seemingly cool game that's not even out yet. Honestly, I was hoping more people would be excited over it. If you say that you like the "simplicity" of the originals, fine. That just means you fear change and don't want anything new. Just play the originals. I'm sure there are roms somewhere. If you don't want to play this game, fine, but don't go putting us down, just because you're not "satisfied."

I've already explained in my very long post about why this game has exceeded my expectations.

However, I would also like to add that I like how the Kimono girls were given a bigger role this time. I also like the new look of Team Rocket. I'm happy to know that most of the music so far sounds practically the same as the original. I could honestly care less about nostalgia, because I was in 7th grade when I first played Gold version. (Red was 2nd, Crystal was third. Crystal was out when I got Red version. I didn't like Red's graphics at all. I liked Yellow better than Red.)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back