• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

And it's a JRPG because it has a Japanese developer.
    Isn't there more to something being a JRPG than just having a Japanese dev company?

But with Dark Souls part of me is like "don't get it you'll just drive yourself nuts" while the slightly masochistic part of me is like "nah man, get it, GET IIIIIIIIIIIIT"

Sir Codin

It does get frustratingly difficult at times, but it's not impossible to beat. I gotten really good at it and have beaten it twice.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Good to see some Souls lovin here. Beat Dark Souls like 4-5 times and Dark Souls 2 even more times than that! Bloodborne I recently beat every single boss on NG+ which was super fun. Thinking of starting a new character there soon... Also need to get the PS4 Dark Souls 2 so I can sink more of my life into that game again. So fucking good.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Demon's Souls is the one Souls game I've yet to play. Got into the series with Dark, then continued to Dark 2 and Bloodborne. Might grab Demon's Souls sometime...

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Ah, well I'd recommend it. I've always considered Demon's Souls to be horribly underrated, especially since, after playing the beginning of Dark Souls 1's horrible PC port (pre-patch) and failing to get into it, I was hooked on Demon's Souls. In terms of design choices and gameplay it bears some differences but is in no way dated or weaker than its successors. I've played a good deal (and, ashamedly, haven't gotten too far), but it really does stand side-by-side the other entries in the Souls series and Bloodborne. It has really inviting environments, too. One thing I feel it manages and tries to do well (that Dark Souls intentionally doesn't) is create areas that make the player awe in wonder and want to explore. The Dark games have beautiful environments, as well, but they serve a rather different purpose than those of Demon's Souls, largely because they go in different aesthetic directions in terms of lighting and ambiance.

In short, it's fun and horribly overlooked. Wish they'd bring it to other platforms, but do to the horribly sticky situation with the Publishers of Demon's Souls compared to Dark Souls...well, we'll see.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Bloodborne looks friggin awesome! All the more reason I should get a PS4... after I get a Wii U though because I NEED ONE!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    More than happy with WiiU+3DS+Vita

Gonna get a PS4 for Street Fighter goodness eventually though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Hm...

...On that note, actually, have you of you guys played Demon's Souls?
    I actually did. But for some reason I stopped and never returned xD

Oh, it's been a year... time flies.

I mean, we should explicitly mention which JRPG we're talking about.
    If it's a term, then it's a RPG made by Japanese companies.
    If it's a genre, then it's what I said there, cute girls doing cute things.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Oh, it's been a year... time flies.

I mean, we should explicitly mention which JRPG we're talking about.
    If it's a term, then it's a RPG made by Japanese companies.
    If it's a genre, then it's what I said there, cute girls doing cute things.
    Nah, I still don't think cuteness or the aesthetic has anything to do with it. I'll continue to call Japanese RPGs "JRPGs"...well, actually, I'll just call them RPGs. I don't like the term "JRPG" in the first place.

On that note, since I'm burning through games this Summer (having so far beaten Persona 3, Long Live the Queen, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth), I recently started Secret of Mana from the beginning. Can't say I've ever really appreciated the battle system as much as I do now, it's deceptively layered. Though I did find an article that tried to argue that, because the game used wait times (the attack power percentage system), it was a Turn-Based Game and not an Action RPG, having descended from Turn-Based RPGs (and just so happened to be realtime). I can't help but disagree, though. A turn-based system uses...well, turns, and Secret of Mana's battle system never stops you from acting at any point. There's a penalty for attacking at certain points, but ultimately, much like modern ARPGs, you always have the choice to do something. You always have the choice to act. It's really the difference between strategy and inability that keeps it from being a Turn-Based game.

Last edited:

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    While we're on the topics of "JRPGs". Bravely Second has just received a trademark confirmation in Europe, so it's probably likely that we're going to see an announcement for it at E3.

"Trails of Cold Steel" (Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki) also supposedly got a confirmation from a questionable source of GAME Spain, listing a release for October 23 and being published by Namco. Which isn't too far-fetched since the domain name of Trails of Cold Steel has already been registered by XSEED and Namco has ties with Legend of Heroes series, as they localized the Gagharv trilogy. If this is true, it's great that more games in the Trails series is coming over. On the other hand, it's not a good idea to bring over the sixth game in a story RPG series, when the second game still hasn't been released.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I've still yet to play Bravely Default. :/ I may just need to suck it up and play because people say it's quite good.
    I should probably play it as well. idk something about it just doesn't attract me for some reason, but then again that's how I felt about Mass Effect when it first came out, too.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    Bravely default is definitely one of my favorite games. i love rpg's and jrpg's. the story line and the characters are awesome. i also love all of the job classes. i know with bravely second there are going to be new job classes as well as a new character.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back