• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Actually, through the eShop Nintendo does have a remote switch on their side if they detect illegal software usage on the 3DS to brick it, and from what I know you do get banned from the eShop if you use flashcarts, or at least they used to. Oh and most updates of the 3DS kill the usage of most flashcarts, until the maker update it for the new firmware. So you likely will need to not update your 3DS to play the flashcart, which in turn would make it impossible for online play.
    There was a big hoo-haa about this a while back in the hacking community, but we pretty much came to the consensus that while Nintendo can brick your 3DS for usage of the 3DS, they likely won't. eShop banning isn't really a problem (well, specifically, NNID banning isn't really a problem) and to some extent, neither are updates because modern flashcarts (3DS ones, specifically)use emuNANDs to emulate specific firmwares. Though I don't follow the 3DS cart scene as closely as I did the DS scene, I'm pretty sure they're getting close to implementing online play.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    GUYS, SONIC 06 14 BOOM: RISE OF LYRIC IS ONLY $30 AND I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN HELP MYSELF!

I was given a $25 Amazon gift card and the decision was between Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, and Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright, all of which are currently $30, but...Sonic Boom. I mean, this may seem like a joke, what with that game being terrible and all, but it's like...after playing through Sonic 06, I felt empty. I mean, I feel like that after I finish a lot of shows, movies, games, etc. that I'm really engaged. It's somewhat sad but mostly fulfilling, and it creates this desire for more even if I feel the experience was fine on its own. That's what it was like beating Sonic 06, minus the fulfillment.

But when I saw Boom, it felt like that desire was amplified. Like I NEEDED to play that game, and though every mention of the game by me is a joke, it's generally a half-joke. Because to find out that there's a new bad Sonic game, one that's miraculously worse than the disasterpiece that was Sonic 06, it riled something in me. I dunno. Maybe it's because I enjoy bad games since they're often blaring examples of bad game design and objects of time constraints ripe for analysis. That and they can often be laughably enjoyable.

But I really do want the other games. I'm not really sure what to go with :/
    NEP
    NEP
    NEP
    NEP
    NEP

Buy Nep, obvious choice is obvious.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Because I haven't played the older games, I decided to buy Apollo Justice due to it having loose connections to the other games in the series, and cause I wanted to play an Ace Attorney game. So, can anyone tell me why people hate it? The story is brilliant, I'm loving the gameplay, and the characterizations are brilliant. The game is a bit hard to deduce for some parts, currently on the Wocky case, but other then some obscure cases its really great in picking you up and having you chain facts back and forth. Not to mention Klavier is the best freaking part of this game, Aschtung Baby!

Seriously though, if I love it this much, will I love the rest of the games even more since its the "weakest"?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Because I haven't played the older games, I decided to buy Apollo Justice due to it having loose connections to the other games in the series, and cause I wanted to play an Ace Attorney game. So, can anyone tell me why people hate it? The story is brilliant, I'm loving the gameplay, and the characterizations are brilliant. The game is a bit hard to deduce for some parts, currently on the Wocky case, but other then some obscure cases its really great in picking you up and having you chain facts back and forth. Not to mention Klavier is the best freaking part of this game, Aschtung Baby!

Seriously though, if I love it this much, will I love the rest of the games even more since its the "weakest"?
    See, I've never agreed about Apollo Justice being the worst in the series (well, generally the one that's considered the worst is Justice for All). I think it has the weakest detective in the series, the filler cases can be a drag, and watching Lamiror's song over and over and over again can be annoying, but overall I enjoyed the characters and the story is great. Trucy's great, too (and cute as a button), but I'm pretty sure she's universally liked. But those are pretty much the reasons people don't like it- most particularly the second case. That, and Phoenix's appearance was pretty polarizing (not so much because he appeared but how he did). They also seem to have a problem with Klavier and his buddy-buddy nature with Apollo.

But to answer your question...no? I mean, it really all depends on your experience with the other games, I don't think your experience with AJ will be a huge influence on your experiences with the other games, but it's just best to go in without expectations.

NEP
    NEP
    NEP
    NEP
    NEP

Buy Nep, obvious choice is obvious.
    Yeah, it's really between that, PLvsPW, and Boom now (since, much to my dismay, Danganronpa went up in price). It's painful to choose, so I might just end up waiting.

That or buy something unexpected. Danball Senki W is looking quite nice. Amazon Prime and a good price, too (both of which are vital for an import).

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years

Haha. Welcome to the club! I just picked up Apollo Justice too.

I had borrowed the first two Ace Attorneys in the past and played the third one through... less than official means >__> but now with the Dual Destinies and the Trilogy release being on the 3DS, I went and bought Apollo alongside those two. Going to be playing through all five games now. Working on the trilogy release right now

Sir Codin

You know, I'm looking over the list for Wii U Virtual Console and I'm fucking mad.

When are the N64 and Gamecube titles going to show up?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Klavier's problem isn't so much his character, but rather he is an awful prosecutor because he just helps you and holds your hand. Pretty much every other prosecutor in the series are AGAINST you, and that's great! It makes things more exciting and tense.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years

The game wasn't bad - It was rather they didn't really focus so much on Apollo's story, as they did much more focus on Phoenix's and how he lost his badge, etc. Sure they tied it in with Apollo, but.. it felt 'rushed' in a way. And also, yeah, a lot of people in the game kiiinda held Apollo's hand during the series. At least, that's what I didn't really much care for the game; otherwise it was all fantastic~

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    You know, I'm looking over the list for Wii U Virtual Console and I'm ducking mad.

When are the N64 and Gamecube titles going to show up?
    Either later in the Wii U's lifetime or when the Nintendo feels the Wii U needs a boost in sales.

The demand is there, and they're as capable of adding support for both of those as they are adding GBA games to the 3DS eshop. That said, they've been doing pretty well with eshop sales and are currently focusing on GBA releases, so, for now, they don't really financially have a reason to add them.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Yeah, it's really between that, PLvsPW, and Boom now (since, much to my dismay, Danganronpa went up in price). It's painful to choose, so I might just end up waiting.
    I have slight bias in going for Boom. It's bad game like you've heard, and it's riddled with bugs and glitches that rival '06. But I had a fun time playing through the game while laughing through the many flaws of the game; my opinion might be skewed in the fact that I was playing multiplayer with my brother though. On the other hand, I loved PLvsPW, it's two franchises coming together for an interesting experience. There are some things that I wished from them to do better with PLvsPW unfortunately, like a crossing of mechanics from both series. I want to solve puzzles during my trials!

Neptunia Re;Birth 1 has been confirmed to coming to PC, so I want to say wait out for that in regards to that title. It's definitely a great game though.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    While I do find it weird that the prosecutor is all buddy buddy, it adds to Apollo's helplessness, and it makes it all the more charming, personally.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I have slight bias in going for Boom. It's bad game like you've heard, and it's riddled with bugs and glitches that rival '06. But I had a fun time playing through the game while laughing through the many flaws of the game; my opinion might be skewed in the fact that I was playing multiplayer with my brother though. On the other hand, I loved PLvsPW, it's two franchises coming together for an interesting experience. There are some things that I wished from them to do better with PLvsPW unfortunately, like a crossing of mechanics from both series. I want to solve puzzles during my trials!

Neptunia Re;Birth 1 has been confirmed to coming to PC, so I want to say wait out for that in regards to that title. It's definitely a great game though.
    Ah, you're right, Re;Birth IS coming to PC. How did I even forget that? I'd originally planned to get it for the Vita and swap between the handheld and my Playstation TV, buuuut it coming to the PC- and Steam, no less- makes it worth waiting for (besides, even if I don't get it for PC, there might be deals and the like for the Vita copy until that time comes.

Hm...guess that sticks it down to these two: Sonic Boom and PLvsPW. I've heard what you said about the game a gpod number of times, the whole idea that they don't really combine the mechanics and it feels like "two halves of a whole game" rather than "two halves joined together to form a whole game". But, nonetheless, it's a good game.

And Sonic Boom is...well, it's Sonic Boom. And that's the appeal for me. It's terrible and I love it. And one thing it has over PLvsPW is that it's on sale. Hm...Thanks for the heads up, I imagine I'll have it figured out by New Years Day.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    Seeing all the Apollo Play is great, recently picked it up again after a long time of not playing it and am on case 3 now. The song is the only annoying part tbh. I like it far more than the 3DS game, I really couldn't get into it at all.

I didn't like the PLXPW game at all. I would go for BOOM all the way.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I quite liked Dual Destinies. It had an infectiously likable detective, a fantastic presentation (seriously, they took the transition from 2D to 3D by the horns and went all out, even trying new things rather than simply spray painting over the animations and the like- it looks and feels great), an overall enjoyable cast, and a DLC case that managed to be one of the most enjoyable, hardhitting, and hilarious cases in the game. And of course, the orchestrated music (I actually think that, prior to release, that was what I was most excited about).

As for where I'd place it among the games...hard to say. Of them, it's currently the only one I've only played once (well, that and AAI), but it's a bold game and it hits a lot of strides in making itself a game that truly takes advantage of what the 3DS has to offer.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back