• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Which OS do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I love Windows. Must be its relative ease of use and familiarity compared to the other ones... I have used Ubuntu Linux and various other Linux distros, but I think I didn't get very far - sometimes, things are just too annoying to be done, and sometimes I'm lost. Never used a Mac, but one thing's for sure - I'd like maximum app compatibility, so if I do ever get a Mac, I'd end up dual-booting.

That said, Windows 7 is really good, when you think about it.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I use Mac in school, while most of the time, I use Windows. So, I can say that I am more familiar with Windows. Never tried Linux before.

MMSCBF

Beginning Something-er
    Years
  • I'd like to give Linux a try, but I don't think I personally know anyone that owns a Linux OS. Not sure if using Android phones would count . . .
    There are some nice things in Macs that are comparable to Microsoft Windows, and the other way around, but I personally have to go with Microsoft Windows, hoping I get to install the new Windows OS from a friend's brother since he's working for the development of the OS. He gets it for free. :3

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2013
    I love Apple's notebooks and Mac OS X too much, though I also use windows and have a desktop PC with Windows in the house as well that I rarely touch.

In a perfect world I'd like to have a system thats all free and open source, but I enjoy my Mac too much to go that route.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2016
    I'd have to say Mac and Windows are about the same in regards to preference. Both have their pros and cons, but I prefer Windows. Mac isn't bad, but I find Windows a little easier to operate and play on. Not to mention Macs are much more expensive.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Windows, all the way. I have tried Linux, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

I'm familiar with Windows, and every program I use works in Windows, so Windows it is.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I run some kind of Linux thing, so my vote goes to that by default. I haven't had much experience with Apple OS's, but for the most part they seem a bit dodge. I don't like the little red/yellow/green buttons at the top of each window, or the scrolly toolbar thing at the bottom that pops up bigger icons when you hover over them, or the little pop noises it makes when you change the volume. There are a million little things.

Windows I don't mind (although Vista kinda sucked). I ran 7 for a good while, and it got the job done. It was just . . . well, I switched to Ubuntu because the 7 trial/demo/whatever I was using ran out or something . . . I'm using Linux now (11.04 rings a bell, though I could be wrong) and it's neat. It's tidy, it doesn't bug me persistently to update this or that, and it runs smoothly for the most part. The only problem is the lack of compatibility with certain software, but I work around that. I only really use Firefox, GIMP and OpenOffice anyway.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I run Windows 7 Home Premium.

Android is based on Linux, if that counts.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I think it all only depends on what you generally use computers for. Therefore I haven't voted.

Windows - Great compatibility and the most convenient OS to use IMO. (I do have separate Linux computer but I don't use it much yet)
    Linux - More for "computer geeks." If you don't know how to use it, then it's worthless (compared to Windows & Mac). Otherwise it's a really good OS to use, maybe even superior to Windows. I honestly think Linux is bit underrated.

Thinking about all this again, I honestly don't know what Mac is really useful for, because I've never really used it. Mac only seems expensive, but probably for a good reason that I can't think of right now.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • As someone who's been studying computers for quite sometime, I'm willing to be very familiar with all three. I've been a Windows user for a very long time. then when I started my second-to-last semester in college, I was introduced to Linux, and it became my most preferred OS. Macs, however, I'm not too fond of the OS, but I'm willing to try it out so I can have some knowledge about it.

My preference, however? Man, it's really hard to decide when you just want to decide on all three. xD If I have to, I'd choose Linux. I love it more than Windows. You don't have to deal with installing an antivirus, and the terminal is really easy to use IF you know the commands & stuff. Installing programs is a piece of cake. :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2012
    I have used all 3 for a very long time. I honestly like Windows XP the most, although Linux if fastest but buggy, and Mac OS is just slow and and an extremely bad value.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I can use any of the three, Mac, Linux, and windows, though my personal preference is Mac OS. I find it very easy to use and runs very fast. I use Mac OS on my main desktop and on my laptop. For school though I got by using Windows XP. Planning to slap linux on a netbook I just got back from my grandparents to use a diagnostic focused machine for hardware and network issues.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Definitely Windows. Windows computers can support many different programs, and they are easy to use. Macs are ridiculously overpriced, and they don't even have a freaking right click! They try to hard to be "minimalistic", but they don't try hard enough to make a well-performing computer.
    Considering the fact that you've stated that they don't have a right click, I'm going to make the reasonable assumption that you've never used a Mac before - at least not long enough to fiddle around with the system preferences, or within recent years, so to make the assumption that they don't have a well-performing computer is amusing.

Never used a Mac, but one thing's for sure - I'd like maximum app compatibility, so if I do ever get a Mac, I'd end up dual-booting.
    Now that Lion is out, maximum app compatibility is standard in most applications (it's ultimately up to the developers to utilize that now). I'd have to say the maximum app compatibility is better on the Mac compared to others because it takes the app to a separate space on the computer and hides the dock and the menu bar from view so you can focus on what you need to do.

That being said, I like Windows (que my friends screaming in surprise) and I like Mac for separate reasons. Typically, I'll use Mac over Windows for most things, but I often find myself wanting to go back to the Windows side of an application every now and then. In my opinion, there isn't a matchable application on Mac that is as good as Windows Live Messenger.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • i'm not too fond of the mac industry to be honest. it's not about the prices or the game compatibilities, i just never got into it. i don't see how macs "revolutionized" the computer age. it's just as good as windows in my opinion.

windows... now i do agree you can do a LOT of stuff on windows that you can't do on any other os, but it's just so UNSTABLE. and the fact that the security on these things is so loose, you can get viruses even if you have an anti-virus, and most of the time it's not the anti-virus company's fault. i can stand windows, but it can piss me off big time. i generally get on windows 7 (my computer is dual boot with ubuntu) for working on projects and typing up reports. i have to admit, microsoft word is one of the best word programs you can get, and that's the main reason why i use windows. HOWEVER. there is always some kind of complication that goes on when i try to do my work. it's not the computer's fault, it's just sad little windows's fault. maybe if it was more stable then what it is, i would use it more often, but for now i'll just deal with what i have i guess.

i have to go with linux on this one. i love linux. i currently run ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx which is a free distro of linux. it's not that complicated if you mess around for a bit, no anti-virus is needed for install, and if you're a computer geek, linux is heaven.

real.

sea dragon master.
    Years
  • i'm not too fond of the mac industry to be honest. it's not about the prices or the game compatibilities, i just never got into it. i don't see how macs "revolutionized" the computer age. it's just as good as windows in my opinion.

windows... now i do agree you can do a LOT of stuff on windows that you can't do on any other os, but it's just so UNSTABLE. and the fact that the security on these things is so loose, you can get viruses even if you have an anti-virus, and most of the time it's not the anti-virus company's fault. i can stand windows, but it can piss me off big time. i generally get on windows 7 (my computer is dual boot with ubuntu) for working on projects and typing up reports. i have to admit, microsoft word is one of the best word programs you can get, and that's the main reason why i use windows. HOWEVER. there is always some kind of complication that goes on when i try to do my work. it's not the computer's fault, it's just sad little windows's fault. maybe if it was more stable then what it is, i would use it more often, but for now i'll just deal with what i have i guess.

i have to go with linux on this one. i love linux. i currently run ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx which is a free distro of linux. it's not that complicated if you mess around for a bit, no anti-virus is needed for install, and if you're a computer geek, linux is heaven.

You read my mind. My thoughts on this are exactly the same. I love linux. I remember only ONE program froze on me when I used linux. ONE. On Windows almost every application freezes once a day. It's really sad. But Windows can run games (although I only play one or two), and (most importantly) it supports romhacking 100%. And therefore I am stuck with this ****** OS known as windows.

Years
  • For those who tl;dr:
    Windows is cheap, semi confusing, not so secure, best compatibility.
    Linux is free, confusing, good security, and least compatibility.
    Mac is expensive, good security, and semi compatibility.

I run all 3. I fix all 3. All 3 have perks. All 3 have downsides.
    Now, for the breakdown I am going to assume we are focusing on the DESKTOP environment world, as the SERVER environment world is a whole different topic, and I could get into that too if you like.

Note: For discussion sake, I am not including notations about Virtual Machines and Dual Booting. Yes, I am aware Mac has Boot camp. However, nearly all of these products have this option in one way or another to support the others.

Break down:
    --Windows--
    Hardware: Windows is compatible with virtually all x86-based hardware out there.

Software: Due to Window's popularity, software support is high in this regard.

Security (Exploit): The Vista/7 UAC major overhaul did help windows hardening, however they are putting band aids all over a product that was never designed with security as focus. Unfortunately, it is difficult to understand how secure Windows truly is in comparison to other operating systems due to the fact Windows will naturally have the most known vulnerabilities, simply from the popularity of their product and attraction it would get from malicious users.

--Linux--
    Hardware: Compatible with virtually all hardware.

Software: Since linux is a kernel with a collection of packages varying by distribution, this question is a confusing one. Due to it's open nature, there are many compatible solutions with linux for desktop users. If we focus on code written exclusively for linux, there are not many that have not found it's way to other X-11 based platforms (such as OSx or other Unix-termed OS's), so even harder to isolate. Wine has done a good effort to support Win32 binaries and hive emulation, so it's support can be some what surprising at times.

Security: Linux is difficult to gauge security due to there being so many distributions and packages available to the product, plus it's a kernel, while the other two are OS's. Most distributions enforce security by default, and they tend to keep the user in a limited access mode without escalation annoyances too much for daily work. Linux is based on an architecture that has ran the backbone of the internet for many years, however, so it is easy to argue towards a stronger security than most, especially with it's built in permissions. Linux also is good about distributing updates and users tend to do them regularly.

--Mac (OSx)--

Hardware: OSx uses an x86 platform specifically catered to their operating system, however does not differ in any significant way to other x86 systems, minus the EFI boot loader and very compartmentalized "logic boards" as opposed to motherboards, and lastly file allocation table type (GPT is not significantly improved vs others however). Some may argue the engineering quality of mac hardware, however, being an apple certified tech, I know that many of their products are known for glaring defects (which should be expected with how custom they go in aesthetics). Fortunately, they tend to be good about replacement on early caught warranty-covered defects, however that is not always the case for older products.

Software: Mac has one advantage with their closed off system for products. This tends to create a higher standard of software development, especially with their specialized XCode IDE. This can be a double edged sword, however, because running Mac exclusively locks you in to certain choices, and not a lot of variety otherwise. They have relative good compatibility with linux-based products, too, so can be argued to the same degree as linux has for compatibility.

Security: Mac has done a good job at keeping security relatively high on the OS level. The discussion about linux can be noted here too, as OSx (Darwin) is heavily based on the BSD/Unix systems.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • For those who tl;dr:
    Windows is cheap, semi confusing, not so secure, best compatibility.
    Linux is free, confusing, good security, and least compatibility.
    Mac is expensive, good security, and semi compatibility.

I run all 3. I fix all 3. All 3 have perks. All 3 have downsides.
    Now, for the breakdown I am going to assume we are focusing on the DESKTOP environment world, as the SERVER environment world is a whole different topic, and I could get into that too if you like.

Note: For discussion sake, I am not including notations about Virtual Machines and Dual Booting. Yes, I am aware Mac has Boot camp. However, nearly all of these products have this option in one way or another to support the others.

Break down:
    --Windows--
    Hardware: Windows is compatible with virtually all x86-based hardware out there.

Software: Due to Window's popularity, software support is high in this regard.

Security (Exploit): The Vista/7 UAC major overhaul did help windows hardening, however they are putting band aids all over a product that was never designed with security as focus. Unfortunately, it is difficult to understand how secure Windows truly is in comparison to other operating systems due to the fact Windows will naturally have the most known vulnerabilities, simply from the popularity of their product and attraction it would get from malicious users.

--Linux--
    Hardware: Compatible with virtually all hardware.

Software: Since linux is a kernel with a collection of packages varying by distribution, this question is a confusing one. Due to it's open nature, there are many compatible solutions with linux for desktop users. If we focus on code written exclusively for linux, there are not many that have not found it's way to other X-11 based platforms (such as OSx or other Unix-termed OS's), so even harder to isolate. Wine has done a good effort to support Win32 binaries and hive emulation, so it's support can be some what surprising at times.

Security: Linux is difficult to gauge security due to there being so many distributions and packages available to the product, plus it's a kernel, while the other two are OS's. Most distributions enforce security by default, and they tend to keep the user in a limited access mode without escalation annoyances too much for daily work. Linux is based on an architecture that has ran the backbone of the internet for many years, however, so it is easy to argue towards a stronger security than most, especially with it's built in permissions. Linux also is good about distributing updates and users tend to do them regularly.

--Mac (OSx)--

Hardware: OSx uses an x86 platform specifically catered to their operating system, however does not differ in any significant way to other x86 systems, minus the EFI boot loader and very compartmentalized "logic boards" as opposed to motherboards, and lastly file allocation table type (GPT is not significantly improved vs others however). Some may argue the engineering quality of mac hardware, however, being an apple certified tech, I know that many of their products are known for glaring defects (which should be expected with how custom they go in aesthetics). Fortunately, they tend to be good about replacement on early caught warranty-covered defects, however that is not always the case for older products.

Software: Mac has one advantage with their closed off system for products. This tends to create a higher standard of software development, especially with their specialized XCode IDE. This can be a double edged sword, however, because running Mac exclusively locks you in to certain choices, and not a lot of variety otherwise. They have relative good compatibility with linux-based products, too, so can be argued to the same degree as linux has for compatibility.

Security: Mac has done a good job at keeping security relatively high on the OS level. The discussion about linux can be noted here too, as OSx (Darwin) is heavily based on the BSD/Unix systems.

I have to applaud you for your well thought out well written review. However I have to disagree on the Windows side. As an MCTS I know that Windows can be very secure. But as in any security the weakest link is the end user. And unfortunately most people just hop on the computers, never giving a crap about security until it's way too late.

And as for Mac, well I don't think they're very secure, after all they always go first that at PWN 2 Own

real.

sea dragon master.
    Years
  • the SERVER environment world is a whole different topic, and I could get into that too if you like.
    Well well. If you have nothing better to do, please share with us :) keke

By the way your post was well put together and might clear it up for some (many) who haven't used all 3 of the systems. (linux is left out most of the time)

Back