• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Cup 2006

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    You people suck (meant in the least offensive way possible, of course). The biggest and most lucrative sporting event in the world is currently in process and there isn't a thread on it. Yet there's a thread about American Idol. Seriously, what's up with that?

Annnyway, the World Cup is in duration for the next four weeks. We have more than 24,000 members from all over the world, I assume there are a couple of people interested in this. So, who are you rooting for? Who do you expect to win the tournament? Who do you think the surprise packages will be? Who do you think will pick up the best player award? Who'll pick up the Golden Boot? Yada yada yada.

I'm England through and through. I thought England had a huge chance of winning the trophy, they were ranked second favourites by most bookmakers. But judging on their second half performance against Paraguay, I'm a lot more doubtful. We have a crappy manager who can't make a good tactical decision to save his life and if England do manage to win the trophy it'll be the first time a team has ever won the World Cup in spite of their manager, not because of him.

Last edited:
    Years
    C'mon England although our display against Paraguay was awful mostly Sven's fault for taking Owen off.
    I think Brazil and Germany will be in final like the last world cup.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Of course I want Mexico to do well, but I don't see them winning this year, though I hope they get further than last time. Yesterday's game was great though, beautiful third goal by Mexico. In the current game, Japan's playing a lot better than I thought they would. Though they pretty much got the first goal handed to them.

Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    I'm rooting for USA and I was rooting for Parguway. I think Mexico will get pretty far... andI think USA plays today too. I hope they win!

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2007
    Since I am a quarter Brazillian, I am cheering for them. <3 I am also cheering for Australia since that is where I currently live.

Persona

Banned
    Years
    Italy all the way. Why? Italy just have really good soccer players. Yesterday they've went against Ghana. They won with a score of two goals and Ghana zero.

Next game, they'll verse the USA on June 17th. I also think Austrailia and Mexico are pretty good too.

Speed Racer- No, they're playing on June 17th. Their last game was yesterday and they lost big time against the Czech Republic.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2007
    Sorry, since I'm too lazy to actually search for it, but what was the score between Czech Republic and USA? :<

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Roy Mustang said:
    Italy all the way. Why? Italy just have really good soccer players. Yesterday they've went against Ghana. They won with a score of two goals and Ghana zero.

Next game, they'll verse the USA on June 17th. I also think Austrailia and Mexico are pretty good too.

Speed Racer- No, they're playing on June 17th. Their last game was yesterday and they lost big time against the Czech Republic.
    There are quite a few teams with better squads than Italy. Argentina, Brazil, Czech Republic, England, Netherlands, and Spain all have stronger squads. And the Italy squad have been rocked with scandal which have affected their preparations for the tournament. And a lot of the players dislike each other. I'd be surprised if they made it through to the quarter finals.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    I saw the Brazil Vs. Croatia match last night and I was happy that Brazil won but at the same time I thought they would've played better, and I thought the same when the England and Paraguay match was on. Italy and Japan are getting better though

I'm rooting for England and Blazil this year!

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Hmm...I think that the Spanish will win it. Why? A squad of Champions. Most of which from Barcelona. They have a fluent attack and as it proved with todays 4-0 demolition they know how to score. This world cup I've worried that when a Favoured team scores in the first 10 minutes It normally ends 1-0 or is 2-0 and Crap (Italy Game and Czech Game). Spain though, don't sit back. They play the sort of Football capable of winning the trophy and I think they can win.

Its hard for an Englishman to say that on his Birthday but Meh...Spain are the only ones that have impressed me.

serpenter

Eternal Inferno
    Years
    i only realy watch football during the world cup, and some other important matches, and being english i want england win :)

Years
    I'm keeping track of it. I think it's fun to keep tabs on. That, and I do live in Germany, so maybe that's why I'm so interested. XD;

I support the US (I'd love to see them win a match! <3 Go US!), although I believe they have no chance. They were stomped in their last game, and I heard Italy is better (I'm not sure). I guess we'll see on Saturday then. D:

I wonder if the mass of US troops that live in Kaiserslautern will help them any... but I somehow doubt it. :/
    Wow, I'm so pessimistic. :x

Alex The Great Master

Zeophyte in Eternal Exile
    Years
    I hope Argentina wins this time, after the disgrace 2002 was. However, the team's coach is an idiot, and thanks to him Ivory Coast could score a goal. Seriously, I think we will get to quater-finals like in 1998, unless Germany loses.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Well, I must saw the Germany and Poland match and i just have to say that that goal in the last couple of mins. was awesome! There was plenty of close shots but they were just close

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2007
    I've noticed something. Don't you think that Ronaldo from Brazil is... sort of overweight? ._.

Oh, and Spain or Brazil is going to win. :]

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    I dunno about that, Ronaldo from brazil does look a bit overweight and he wasn't any good i think

Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    I can't wait for the U.S. and Italy game tommorow. I think U.S. is gonna win this one. I don't think Paraguway has a good chance of winning the cup this year.

Back