• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    So apparently you can increase your chance of finding a Shiny while chain fishing.

1. By chain fishing, does it mean staying in one spot and continuously fishing?

2. What breaks the chain? Is it just moving out of your spot or does not hooking a Pokémon break it?

3. How many times do you have to hook a Pokémon to achieve the maximum chance of a Shiny, and how much does it increase?

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    So apparently you can increase your chance of finding a Shiny while chain fishing.

1. By chain fishing, does it mean staying in one spot and continuously fishing?

2. What breaks the chain? Is it just moving out of your spot or does not hooking a Pokémon break it?

3. How many times do you have to hook a Pokémon to achieve the maximum chance of a Shiny, and how much does it increase?

1. Yup, you need to stay in one spot and continuously cast your rod without moving from that one spot. They say that fishing in a spot that's surrounded by land/rocks increases your odds, I don't know if it's proven though.

2. Reeling in too fast or too slow breaks the chain, also not getting a bite at all breaks the chain. That's why it's recommended to lead with a Pokemon with Sticky Hold or Suction Cups.

3. I don't think this has been discovered yet. I think I caught a shiny Clauncher in about 20 at some point, but I've had longer chains with no luck.

There's a good guide here and a visual guide here.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'm genuinely nto sure what ability to give Scrafty as they're all kind of Ok and all have their uses but none of them really stick out to me. Anyway, the Scrafty I'm aiming to breed is as follows:

Adamant Nature
    Item: Leftovers (maybe)
    EV: Def and Sp Def maxed with 6 going to Att (there's a reason)
    Ability: No idea between Moxie, Shed Skin or Intimidate. (more on that later)
    Moves: Crunch, Dragon Dance, Drain Punch, Poison Jab or Ice Punch

So the reason I'm not EV training it's Att is because both it's defenses are it's strongest stat, so I am building those up to max and then since they are high, relying on Dragon Dance in battle to boost it's attack and speed. Obviously there are much stronger fighting moves than drain punch, but to make up for the turns it was dragon dancing it needed a healing move and a dual function fighting move made the most sense. Now the ability is the toughest part because I initially wanted Moxie, but Shed Skin can be pretty useful too, and I got a Scraggy in Wonder Trade that had Intimidate so now I'm considering that one too (not to mention it also had Ice Punch which is also why I'm considring that move instead of Poison Jab) and I really don't know which to do. As much as I generally don't love Smogon for their weird rules, I use to go there to at least get ideas for move sets. (even if I didn't use what they suggested, their suggestions did often give me ideas for my own) but I haven't been able to access the site in months, it's stuck on that blue and white search screen with all the icons and I can't access the site at all on my computer or my phone beyond that screen so that is no longer an option for me which is why I'm asking moveset questions here. Anyway, great big long post aside, which ability would you suggest not only over all, but also for my intended moveset? Thanks for your opinions!
    Scrafty needs max Attack and max Speed to make the most out of Dragon Dance's stat buffs. It's naturally bulky even if its HP and defenses aren't invested in, even if Fairy moves still wreck it. Jolly is also preferred so that Scrafty can outspeed +Speed base 110s after a Dragon Dance. Plus, a Scrafty without any Attack EVs at all hits like a wimp, which is pointless for a fast offensive set like Dragon Dance. This also means that Scrafty will have a harder time sweeping:
    -Dragon Dance
    -High Jump Kick/Drain Punch
    -Crunch/Knock Off
    -Poison Jab/Iron Head/Ice Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Shed Skin/Moxie

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Scrafty needs max Attack and max Speed to make the most out of Dragon Dance's stat buffs. It's naturally bulky even if its HP and defenses aren't invested in, even if Fairy moves still wreck it. Jolly is also preferred so that Scrafty can outspeed +Speed base 110s after a Dragon Dance. Plus, a Scrafty without any Attack EVs at all hits like a wimp, which is pointless for a fast offensive set like Dragon Dance. This also means that Scrafty will have a harder time sweeping:
    -Dragon Dance
    -High Jump Kick/Drain Punch
    -Crunch/Knock Off
    -Poison Jab/Iron Head/Ice Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Shed Skin/Moxie

As much as I honestly do appreciate your input, thanks for completely ignoring EVERYTHING I asked for and giving information on stuff I never did. :D (Note: ABILITIES. I already know there's Shed Skin/Moxie, I need more information on WHICH ONES and WHY)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    As much as I honestly do appreciate your input, thanks for completely ignoring EVERYTHING I asked for and giving information on stuff I never did. :D (Note: ABILITIES. I already know there's Shed Skin/Moxie, I need more information on WHICH ONES and WHY)
    Both Moxie and Shed Skin are equally viable. They both have their uses, and it's simply a matter of preference as to which you use. Do you want Scrafty to have a chance at not being crippled by status, or do you want it to become progressively more devastating as the match goes on? It also depends on what it's teamed up with; if you have a cleric on the team, Shed Skin is kinda redundant.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    How are you supposed to use the Poké Radar effectively? I can never maintain a chain higher than 10, and yes I do know that patches that shake more vividly contain the same species of Pokémon but a lot of the time you don't get those patches.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    How are you supposed to use the Poké Radar effectively? I can never maintain a chain higher than 10, and yes I do know that patches that shake more vividly contain the same species of Pokémon but a lot of the time you don't get those patches.

If you don't get those, just recharge your PokéRadar by running around, but make sure you don't step into any of the grass that shook, nor should you go away from where you were chaining.

After you recharged your PokéRadar, just use it again. Don't worry. Doing this won't break your chain. ;)
    This method is called "Resetting", and you can do this for as many times as you need to to get that proper shaking grass.

Good luck~ ^^

Natsu Dragneel

Fire Dragon Slayer
    Years
    1) Is it possible to get all vivillon forms in English (US)? Since i dont want my vivillons to have other tags like KOR,GER,FRE,etc
    2) If a pokemon is english and its OT is japanese it is hacked?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    1) Is it possible to get all vivillon forms in English (US)? Since i dont want my vivillons to have other tags like KOR,GER,FRE,etc
    2) If a pokemon is english and its OT is japanese it is hacked?

1. That's impossible, considering that all Vivillon forms, except for Poke Ball and Fancy, are region-dependent.
    2. Nope. When a non-nicknamed Japanese Pokemon evolves in an English copy of X/Y, its name changes to its English one. For example, Bulbasaur's Japanese name is "Fushigidane" (フシギダネ). When it evolves into Ivysaur, its name changes to the English one, rather than "Fushigisou" (フシギソウ)

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2016
    Help with Pokemon Bank

Hello everyone, I will need you're help today. I have the game Pokemon Y, I wish too start a new game so I've transferred all my pokemon to the Pokemon Bank. Will I still be able to keep those pokemon and have them even thought I started a new game? Just too be clear, I'm asking that I won't lose my pokemon if I start a new game and be able too have them in the new game?

I do know that I could transfer all my pokemon from Pokemon Y to the bank and put them on a new game on Pokemon X. I don't have the copy of that game so it's not a option nor do I have an extra 3DS to just simply trade them to the other game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If you create a Bank account, you're free to put your Pokémon there any time you wish. Once you do, I believe you could freely get them back, too, regardless if you start a new game or not. Personally haven't tried this before, but have heard of others doing it, so it should work for you as well!

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What does it mean when the music that plays for the Poké Radar is different to the usual Poké Radar music? It kinda sounds more upbeat, and I read that it means a higher chance of a Shiny but does anyone know for sure?

Years
    I think it plays differently, because the game wants you to be aware that you're currently at chain and it didn't broke. If the normal music was playing instead of the upbeat one, you wouldn't tell a difference if you're in chain or not. Also, chaining increase your chances highly, but you mustn't break the chain until the shiny path appears(40 ecounters prolly).

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    The upbeat music means you have a higher chance to find a shiny patch. The % increase is unknown. Personally, I just reset my Radar until the music goes back to normal.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
    Does anyone know if the number of steps taken to calculate egg hatching time is carried over when the egg is traded?

I think it is, but I just want to be sure.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Can someone give me a set by step walkthrough on how EXACTLY to sign up for the pokemon newsletter on the GTL site? (don't say "sign into your account and sign up" I want extremely specific directions on exactly what to do on every page because I THOUGHT I signed up for it a few days ago but I have yet to see any kind of confirmation or recieve anything via email to know one way or the other. I really want to get the mega stones and need the newsletter to get the code apparently. Thank you!)

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    Does anyone know if the number of steps taken to calculate egg hatching time is carried over when the egg is traded?

I think it is, but I just want to be sure.

It should be carried over so long as you didn't pick up a new egg as that resets the current egg cycle. (haven't 100% confirmed if this is true but from what I have read from others this is what happens).

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    It should be carried over so long as you didn't pick up a new egg as that resets the current egg cycle. (haven't 100% confirmed if this is true but from what I have read from others this is what happens).
    I'll answer this. I bred Eggs for someone once and traded them over. The comment a moment later was that they hatched "fast".

So yes, it carries over. It did in Gen. V and does here too.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2016
    Battling at the restaurants in Lumiose; the postgame 3-star one is really good if you use strong pokemon and a Amulet Coin. You can also use them to train up weak Pokemon too. I plan to use it to evolve Pokemon for the Pokedex later on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back