• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Unreliable? There's a 100% chance of a Critical with the setup that I'm doing :P You can't get more reliable than that. I've tried it out in the Battle Maison too to make sure it's accurate; after 15 rounds, every hit was a Critical. You're right though, Critical Hits only do 1.5x damage now instead of 2x, but that's still pretty amazing when it's guaranteed. Remember the Choice Band only increases Attack by 1.5x too, and that limits you to one move. Having said all this, I agree that Absol is better in its Mega form, but I think that spot in my team is better used by someone else.

Okay, let me rephrase that.

Absol is too slow and frail to use the crit + Scope Lens strategy. It might be KOed before it even launches an attack and it can only get 2 attacks in at best, or 1 attack at worst.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Well, he never said it was for competitive play. So I say that moveset is fine!

Is Mega Agrron a good counter too Talonflame?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Well, he never said it was for competitive play. So I say that moveset is fine!

Is Mega Agrron a good counter too Talonflame?

Yes it does. It resists Brave Bird and can tank a Flare Blitz thanks to Filter and high Defense. It also can use Rock Slide to hit Talonflame super effectively.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Absol is too slow and frail to use the crit + Scope Lens strategy. It might be KOed before it even launches an attack and it can only get 2 attacks in at best, or 1 attack at worst.

Yeah, this is the main problem I've been having while testing it out. Shame about the Speed. It manages to OHKO or 2HKO most Pokemon though when it survives. I'm mostly using it for the novelty, because it's so much fun raining down crits on the opponent :P It would never make it into my main competitive team, but I'll be using it in my Dark monotype team :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Yeah, this is the main problem I've been having while testing it out. Shame about the Speed. It manages to OHKO or 2HKO most Pokemon though when it survives. I'm mostly using it for the novelty, because it's so much fun raining down crits on the opponent :P It would never make it into my main competitive team, but I'll be using it in my Dark monotype team :)

What about giving it a Choice Scarf? And iirc, don't criticals ignore stat changes effecting damage?

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Do overworld abilities still stack?
    On two separate occassions, I had a fainted lv1 Compoundeyes Yanma leading my team, followed by a Static Raichu with Thief in Santalune Forest. On both occassions, I spent nearly 20 minutes barely finding any Pikachu. Yet when I moved Raichu to the front slot of my part, I encountered Pikachu nearly 1 out of every 2 or 3 encounters.

I'm reading online how many people recommend using Synchronize+CuteCharm. I haven't read anything online about people saying they had difficulty activating more than one overworld ability. So I guess I'm wondering whether I just got unlucky, or if some overworld abilities can stack while others cannot...

Also, an easier question: I know that everstone now gives 100% natures while breeding. Has synchronized changed, or is it still 52% natures while capturing?

Deceit

Toxic.
    Years
  • What about giving it a Choice Scarf? And iirc, don't criticals ignore stat changes effecting damage?

Scarf would help with the speed issue, but then his crit rate goes down and he's locked to one move as well.

And to your question, yes. From Gen III onwards, Crits ignore the defending Pokémon's positive stat changes (From moves like Iron Defense, Amnesia, etc.) and the attacking pokémon's negative stat changes (From moves like Growl, Confide, etc.).

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Scarf would help with the speed issue, but then his crit rate goes down and he's locked to one move as well.

And to your question, yes. From Gen III onwards, Crits ignore the defending Pokémon's positive stat changes (From moves like Iron Defense, Amnesia, etc.) and the attacking pokémon's negative stat changes (From moves like Growl, Close Combat, etc.). If the attacking pokémon has used something like Swords Dance, it will not increase the damage from a crit, and the damage will again be the same if the defending pokémon has negative defenses.

Actually, the Pokemon's own Attack/Special attack increase also apply to critical hits. You may be referring to the Red/Blue/Yellow critical mechanics, when offensive boosts are ignored when a crit occurs.

Deceit

Toxic.
    Years
  • Actually, the Pokemon's own Attack/Special attack increase also apply to critical hits. You may be referring to the Red/Blue/Yellow critical mechanics, when offensive boosts are ignored when a crit occurs.

Oh, yeah you're right. Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote it. Sorry about that.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Scarf would help with the speed issue, but then his crit rate goes down and he's locked to one move as well.

Forgot about the Scope Lens for some reason, and thought that he was using a Choice Band.

...It's great when you don't use your brain, isn't it?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Do overworld abilities still stack?
    On two separate occassions, I had a fainted lv1 Compoundeyes Yanma leading my team, followed by a Static Raichu with Thief in Santalune Forest. On both occassions, I spent nearly 20 minutes barely finding any Pikachu. Yet when I moved Raichu to the front slot of my part, I encountered Pikachu nearly 1 out of every 2 or 3 encounters.

I'm reading online how many people recommend using Synchronize+CuteCharm. I haven't read anything online about people saying they had difficulty activating more than one overworld ability. So I guess I'm wondering whether I just got unlucky, or if some overworld abilities can stack while others cannot...

This question piqued my interest, so I decided to do some experimenting. Disappointingly, my results were negative - I don't think overworld Abilities can stack at all, or at least not the ones I tried. In particular, Synchronize + Cute Charm definitely doesn't work. Unless I got some seriously bad luck :P Only 2 of the Natures of the 30 Pokemon I caught were the same as my Gardevoir's, which was second in my party, behind a fainted Delcatty. But 22 out of 30 were the opposite gender to Delcatty, so Cute Charm clearly worked. I guess the people who reported positive results were just lucky.

I did some research online too, and I couldn't find any solid experimental evidence that this stacking works. I read through the RNG mechanics on Smogon too, and they seem to suggest that Abilities don't stack like that when generating wild Pokemon.

Also, an easier question: I know that everstone now gives 100% natures while breeding. Has synchronized changed, or is it still 52% natures while capturing?

Synchronize is 50%, but yeah.

Sortiariux

Pokémon Wizard
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Fastest way to level?

Hey guys, so I've been doing a lot of IV breeding and I have been trying to find the fastest way to level my pokes from Lv.1 to Lv.50 and I have been doing speed runs on the Elite 4. I've basically been clearing everyone up until Diantha's Gardevoir who I then let defeat me. In doing so I maximize the experience I get and I won't have to wait til credits to go and clear the Elite 4 again. My lead poke has Amulet coin to minimize money loss and my target poke holds a Lucky Egg with the Exp. Share on. This method works well for me but I want to know if there's a possible better way to go about leveling. (Without using rare candies)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I would like to know where evees are?

According to serebii.net, Eevees can be found in Route 10 and in Friend Safaris (Normal). :3

And I have a question of my own though.

Is it intended to get a hatchling with [relatively superior potential] if both parents have [outstanding] stats?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • According to serebii.net, Eevees can be found in Route 10 and in Friend Safaris (Normal). :3

And I have a question of my own though.

Is it intended to get a hatchling with [relatively superior potential] if both parents have [outstanding] stats?

It's possible, yes, if you didn't use a Destiny Knot on one of the parents.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    It's possible, yes, if you didn't use a Destiny Knot on one of the parents.

oh, forgot to mention that one of the parents is holding the Destiny Knot. =/

edit...
    also, what does STAB mean?

Last edited:

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • #1 fastest way to level up for me is:

1. Take your level 1 Pokemon, fly to victory road
    2. Enable any level Exp. Point O-Power
    3. Go South into the cave and Defeat 1 to 2 baddies to raise your level ones up to level 15 to get those out of the way.
    4. Fly to the Daycare
    5. Deposit two of the Pokemon you want to level up into the Daycare
    6. Fly to the center of Lumiose City.
    7. Get on your bike and stick a dime under your thumbstick so your character automatically circles the Prism Tower (make sure to plug in your DS!).
    8. Go to bed (or go to work) and wake up to discover two fully (or near) leveled up Pokemon waiting for you in the daycare!

#1-4 obviously can be skipped if you EV Trained your pokemon before Depositing them into the Daycare as they have already got the initial quick levels out of the way.

I personally only recommend the Elite 4 or Battle Restaurants while wearing the Amulet Coin if you're in need of cash as well, otherwise they are too Tedious and Repetitive..

P.S. if you need to know the Fastest way to fully EV train your Pokemon in under 15 minutes: http://www.marriland.com/forums/pok...ers-guide-to-easy-fast-ev-training-in-pokemon

Last edited:

Sortiariux

Pokémon Wizard
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    #1 fastest way to level up for me is:

1. Take your level 1 Pokemon, fly to victory road
    2. Enable any level Exp. Point O-Power
    3. Go South into the cave and Defeat 1 to 2 baddies to raise your level ones up to level 15 to get those out of the way.
    4. Fly to the Daycare
    5. Deposit two of the Pokemon you want to level up into the Daycare
    6. Fly to the center of Lumiose City.
    7. Get on your bike and stick a dime under your thumbstick so your character automatically circles the Prism Tower (make sure to plug in your DS!).
    8. Go to bed (or go to work) and wake up to discover two fully (or near) leveled up Pokemon waiting for you in the daycare!

#1-4 obviously can be skipped if you EV Trained your pokemon before Depositing them into the Daycare as they have already got the initial quick levels out of the way.

I personally only recommend the Elite 4 or Battle Restaurants while wearing the Amulet Coin if you're in need of cash as well, otherwise they are too Tedious and Repetitive..

P.S. if you need to know the Fastest way to fully EV train your Pokemon in under 15 minutes: http://www.marriland.com/forums/pok...ers-guide-to-easy-fast-ev-training-in-pokemon

The only problem with this is that I have some egg moves on my Pokemon and I don't want to get heart scales to relearn moves.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • The only problem with this is that I have some egg moves on my Pokemon and I don't want to get heart scales to relearn moves.

Just get heartscales off pokemon-gl.com, only cost 100 pokemiles each, obviously much faster than farming them from luvdisc or rocksmashing... just buy 20+ of them and never worry about heart scales every again.

The Daycare is still the better option, takes no effort from you, and quickly can have your pokemon relearn forgotten eggmoves, if any.

P.S. items on pokemon-gl.com are way cheaper than the in-game Pokemiles vendor.

P.P.S. if you happen to be somehow short of pokemiles.. Just do random back to back WonderTrades and within 15-30 minutes you can have a few thousand pokemiles to spend.

Last edited:

Sortiariux

Pokémon Wizard
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Just get heartscales off pokemon-gl.com, only cost 100 pokemiles each, obviously much faster than farming them from luvdisc or rocksmashing... just buy 20+ of them and never worry about heart scales every again.

The Daycare is still the better option, takes no effort from you, and quickly can have your pokemon relearn forgotten eggmoves, if any.

P.S. items on pokemon-gl.com are way cheaper than the in-game Pokemiles vendor.

P.P.S. if you happen to be somehow short of pokemiles.. Just do random back to back WonderTrades and within 15-30 minutes you can have a few thousand pokemiles to spend.

Ah that's a good point. I didn't think about that, thanks guys!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back