• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • People! I need a good moveset for Mew, any suggestions? I dont normally ask for moveset advice, I'm typically a pretty offensive person, i like to KO a Pokemon ASAP with moves that are super effective. Lately I've been staying away from moves with high damage but about 70 accuracy, my luck it keeps missing. Instead going with lower damage moves like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc. With Mew i feel since it can learn every move, maybe its too many possibilities and i get overwhelmed with choices, so I am asking for some advice. Mew is Lv 57 now and knows Psychic, Ancientpower, Dazzling Gleam, and Metronome, you guys have the floor now.

This one needs a Mew from the Gen IV games:
    -Defog
    -Stealth Rock
    -Roost
    -Will-o-Wisp/Taunt
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/148 Def/108 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

However, these ones can be used with what you currently have:
    -Taunt
    -Roost
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Psychic/Ice Beam
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/148 Def/108 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -Aura Sphere
    -Shadow Ball/Fire Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers/Lum Berry

The first two are defensive; the last one is offensive.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    People! I need a good moveset for Mew, any suggestions? I dont normally ask for moveset advice, I'm typically a pretty offensive person, i like to KO a Pokemon ASAP with moves that are super effective. Lately I've been staying away from moves with high damage but about 70 accuracy, my luck it keeps missing. Instead going with lower damage moves like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc. With Mew i feel since it can learn every move, maybe its too many possibilities and i get overwhelmed with choices, so I am asking for some advice. Mew is Lv 57 now and knows Psychic, Ancientpower, Dazzling Gleam, and Metronome, you guys have the floor now.

personally Mine has
    Transform
    Ice Beam
    Aura Sphere
    Psychic
    and holding Lum Berry

it has moves super effective to 11/18 separate types (no duplicates), inflicts whatever status ailment it gets back into whatever infected it and then heals itself and if you're going up against a really good pokemon, you can just transform into it and be as good as whomever it is fighting against.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Lets say I want a defensive, but hard hitting Swampert.
    I max its Attack stat, but what do I focus on next for its bulk?
    Hp or Defence? And why, if possible.
    Depends several factors:

All Options or Kalos Only?
    Utility or Assault?
    Singles or Doubles?
    Lv 50 or Lv 100?

We will give you only a few offensive tank options but with extended commentary depending on your needs.

Utility Tank - Atk and HP

Classic Swampert is probably the most straightforward set; explains why everyone will suggest you this one. Still, depending on the metagame you may still want to make a few tweaks.
    Earthquake and Waterfall are staples of every Swampert. Kalos-born ones do not have access to Ice Punch and Superpower, so their replacement is Ice Beam and Hammer Arm respectively - Avalanche may work but is a bit unreliable and may be a bit weak. So if you only have access to Kalos and do not plan to include Avalanche, consider a Brave nature over an Adamant one for a stonger Ice Beam. In Singles, non-Kalos breeds can set up Stealth Rocks; their cousins in Kalos have to stick with Roar or Toxic. In Doubles and Triple, the Utility can and should use the powerful but poorly distributed Wide Guard, while Rock Slide and Protect becomes an option in the coverage slot.
    As for the EVs, it needs mostly HP and Atk. In Singles, you do not want to give Specs-Latios a free kill. At LV 100, a 240 HP / 248 Atk / 20 SDef will never be OHKOed by Latios, providing you haven't taken prior damage in any form. At LV 50 it looks like 208 HP / 236 Atk / 68 SDef. Remember that staying in Latios is unwise unless you are sure you can take it out. Avalanche is a straight KO while Ice Beam doesn't even come close to a 2HKO. The only other threat we can think off where a 2HKO can be prevented is CB-Azumarrils Play Rough. But in order to survive two hits from it you have to compromise so much power that you can't even 2HKO it anymore - and that's when ignoring Latios. Checkmate!
    Fortunately, there there aren't many Specs-Meteor in Doubles, so that is something you don't need to worry about too much. As said, one of Swamperts biggest perks is Wide Guard. Mr. Mime is another X-Guard user with the same base speed as Swampert and comes with Fake Out. Because both moves have the same priority, you will need a bit speed if you are concerned with Mr. Mime and don't want to rely on a dice roll. Like 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe with LV 100, or 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe with LV 50. Use a Sitrus Berry or a Rindo Berry instead of Leftovers. Be sure to include Rock Slide or Stone Edge when using the Rindo Berry as it allows you to survive Charizard Y's Solar Beam and to retaliate.

Assault Tank

With the addition of Assault Vest in this generation Swampert can take a fair amount of punishment before going down. Its support options are now limited and it is even more dependant on where it comes from. Earthquake is a staple as always but you might want to include Scald instead of Waterfall if you are feeling lucky, especially if it is a Swamperts from Kalos who needs to fall back at Ice Beam anyway. Unfortunately, Ice Beam is the most effective against physical monsters like Landorus-T, Salamence (MixMence is actually rare in Singles) and Gliscor while that Assault Vest Swampert is supposed to confront more special attackers. Hammer Arm is a rather meh option against Ferrothorn but its only answer.
    With minimal investment you can survie two consecutive Draco Meteors form Specs-Latios and return with a powerful Ice Punch: 240 HP / 244 Atk / 24 SDef with LV 100, or 220 HP / 228 Atk / 60 SDef with LV 50. Do not forget that the advantage is nill if you are running Ice Beam instead of Ice Punch or if you switch into it. You can safely switch into Mega-Ampharos' Dragon Pulse without being 2HKOed, though, which is nice considering Ampharos is so bulky that is survives an Earthquake otherwise.
    We don't recommend AV Swampert for Doubles, generally but especially when the Item Clause is active. Not having access to Wide Guard kills its niche and the AV is much more useful on Pokemon who can provide a form of passive or active support like Intimidate or Fake Out - or both, in the case of Scrafty.

People! I need a good moveset for Mew, any suggestions? I dont normally ask for moveset advice, I'm typically a pretty offensive person, i like to KO a Pokemon ASAP with moves that are super effective. Lately I've been staying away from moves with high damage but about 70 accuracy, my luck it keeps missing. Instead going with lower damage moves like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc. With Mew i feel since it can learn every move, maybe its too many possibilities and i get overwhelmed with choices, so I am asking for some advice. Mew is Lv 57 now and knows Psychic, Ancientpower, Dazzling Gleam, and Metronome, you guys have the floor now.
    'Offensive' you say? Then you pretty much want to try Nasty Plot Mew (learned at LV 90). The only thing you need to worry about now is coverage.
    One slot is reserved for Nasty Plot, the other one is for a STAB move, preferable Psyshock to circumvent the pink blos'. If we disregard past tutor moves, the best coverage you get is Fairy/Ghost - Dazzling Gleam and Shadow Ball. PlatinumDude suggested Ghost/Fighting which is okay, we think. Still, Fairy has super-effectiveness against Dragon, which we prefer.

Mikazuki

"Someday, I will..."
    Years
  • Screenshot

Any figure out how to screenshot in X and Y yet? I want a headshot of my character for my Avatar on here, but you can't grab screenshots on X and Y with Miiverse and I can't figure out any other way to do it. Obviously I could use a different camera but it would look like crap. Any suggestions?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I think you can send the pictures you take in the game (with Phil the photo guy) to your Pokemon Global Link account, and then from there do things with the picture.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Any figure out how to screenshot in X and Y yet? I want a headshot of my character for my Avatar on here, but you can't grab screenshots on X and Y with Miiverse and I can't figure out any other way to do it. Obviously I could use a different camera but it would look like crap. Any suggestions?

Just talk with Phill the Photo Guy, and he'll take pictures for you. He could be found around various locations throughout Kalos, including Route 7, Pokémon League, Parfum Palace, and Lumiose City. Once everything's done, these photo-shots would all be saved onto your SD card. Good luck!

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    I'm building up pre-xy pokemon to transfer into xy. Which move tutors and other moves aren't available that I should be gathering? I can't find a list of them anywhere.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm building up pre-xy pokemon to transfer into xy. Which move tutors and other moves aren't available that I should be gathering? I can't find a list of them anywhere.
    Notable Black 2/White 2 move tutors necessary on the Pokemon who learn them
    -Knock Off (ex. Conkeldurr)
    -elemental punches (ex. Conkeldurr)
    -Hyper Voice (Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir only; they have Pixilate to change it from Normal to Fairy)
    -Outrage
    -Low Kick (notable on Blaziken and Mega Mewtwo X)
    -Foul Play (Umbreon)
    -Superpower (Scizor)
    -Bug Bite (Scizor)
    -Drill Run (on Forretress and Beedrill for breeding it on to Karrablast)
    -Bounce (Gyarados)
    -Earth Power
    -Pain Split

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    -Low Kick (notable on Blaziken and Mega Mewtwo X)
    Low Kick is an egg move of Blaziken. Most VGC analyses had been written before BW2 was released, so they did not feature Low Kick which is a much safer move than High Jump Kick and Sky Uppercut.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Low Kick is an egg move of Blaziken. Most VGC analyses had been written before BW2 was released, so they did not feature Low Kick which is a much safer move than High Jump Kick and Sky Uppercut.

Oohhh....crud. Overlooked that. It's still necessary for Mega Mewtwo X, though.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Question: in a horde battle, if my lead has Trace, which one of the wild PKMN in the horde has been Traced?

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    Trade question:me and my friend decided to try cloning,so we both went to infrared then put our DS next to each other,then on top of each other lol,but it still won't recognise the other 3ds why is that(sorry if this is the wrong forum i figured since this is in x and y)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Trade question:me and my friend decided to try cloning,so we both went to infrared then put our DS next to each other,then on top of each other lol,but it still won't recognise the other 3ds why is that(sorry if this is the wrong forum i figured since this is in x and y)

If you look next to the game cartridge slot on the 3DS, there should be a small black rectangle. This is the infra-red sensor. You'll need to place your 3DS systems opposite each other with these rectangles almost touching (infra-red has a very short range).

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2014
    Looking for suggestions and improvements to this rain team. Really appreciate it :)

Hi guys, I've put together a rain team and am looking for any suggestions. Different pokemon, different abilities, different items... Anything and everything I am desperate to get this right

Here's my team so far, Trying to build a team that is ridiculously strong in the 3on3 rated battles.

Ferrothorn -

Nature: + Def, -Speed

EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef

Iron barbs
    Rocky Helmet

Power whip
    Leech seed
    Thunder wave
    Gyro ball

Rotom-W

Nature: +Sp.attack, -Attack,

EVS: 252 SpA/ 4HP / 252 Speed

Levitate
    Choice Speccs

Thunder wave
    Hydro pump
    Thunderbolt
    Volt Switch

Cloyster

Nature: +Attack, -SpA,

EVS: 252 Attack/ 4HP / 252 Speed

Skill link
    Focus sash

Rock blast
    Icicle spear
    Shell smash
    Razor shell

Gyarados w/ mega stone

Nature: +Attack, -SpA,

EVS: 252 Attack/ 4HP / 252 Speed

Intimidate

Waterfall
    Dragon dance
    Ice fang
    Earthquake

Politoed

Nature: +Sp.attack, -Attack,

EVS: 252 SpA/ 4HP / 252 Speed

Damp rock
    Drizzle

Surf
    Hypnosis
    Focus blast
    Ice beam

Lapras.

Nature: +Sp.def, -Attack,

EVS: 248 Hp/ 8SpA / 252 SpD

Leftovers
    Hydration

Surf
    Ice beam
    Thunder
    Rest

A little unsure of lapras.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it!

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • could it be worth dropping Lapras for one of the Water based Multi-types like Empoleon, Poliwrath, Greninja, or the like? Would allow more types of move to be thrown in and give you advantage in more places. Perhaps even something like an Aira Sphere/Dragon Pulse Blastoise could be a good bet? Throw in Rain Dance and Hydro Pump.and it should fit nicely. Hold item could be many things, perhaps an Eject Button in case someone pulls electric or grass so you can switch to Mega Gyarados? Pr you could run a choice of two Megas?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi guys, I've put together a rain team and am looking for any suggestions. Different pokemon, different abilities, different items... Anything and everything I am desperate to get this right

As much as I like Lapras, its generally not the best thing to use. Also, rain teams don't have to have so many Water types on it. Your only non-water type atm is Ferrothorn. You could throw Dragonite or Scizor onto the team; both of them function well in the rain:

-Scizor w/Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP, 40 Attack, 212 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, Roost, Brick Break/Superpower

or

-Scizor w/Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Speed
    Moves: U-turn, Bullet Punch, Superpower, X-Scissor/Bug Bite

-Dragonite w/Life Orb
    Nature: Mild
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 76 Attack, 252 Sp.Attack, 180 Speed
    Moves: Aqua Tail, Thunder, Hurricane, Extreme Speed/Earthquake/Roost

or

Dragonite w/Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Defense, 4 Sp.Attack
    Moves: Hurricane, Thunder, Dragon Tail, Roost

You can also bringeth teh Thunder with Jolteon:

-Jolteon w/Choice Specs
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
    Moves: Thunder, Volt Switch, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Ice/Signal Beam

Also, Choice Specs and Thunder Wave do not mix on Rotom. So replace that with something else or use a different set.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back