• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2014
    Thanks for the quick replies guys - what a friendly bunch you are!

The fasted way would be to simply ask people around here if they'r willing to trade you them. Like [supporter]PlatinumDude[/supporter] said, you get one of he Kanto starters right after the first gym. Pikachu is caught on one of the early routes, I think in the forest right before the first gym. To get the other 2 starters, you can just ask someone if they're willing to give them to you (I'd be more than happy!)... Mewtwo, I don't know when you get it, but you can catch it in X&Y

as for Mew... there hasn't been an event for it in ages... so the only ones ATM are from Gen 3-5, so you'll need to trade or hope soemone will give you one... (I Miiiiiiiiight be willing, as I just got mine cloned)

Thank you for this information - it's a big help! I guess I was kind of stuck in the (very) old mind set from generation 1, thinking that it would be extremely hard to assemble my team. I will definitely keep your post to mind and get in contact about the possibility of obtaining some Kanto starters once I've purchased the game and got settled in. Looks like I've got a lot to read up on first and learn!

Well it depends on what you mean by getting them, because if you mean the actual pokemon from the original games, you can't because there's no connectivity between gen 1&2 and gen 3 onward. if you just want ANY Blastoise, Venusaur, etc, etc, that's very easy to do. You can select one of the 3 very early into the game when you get to the first major city. (after your first badge but before your second badge) then you can breed it as soon as you leave that city and then go onto the GTS and trade your offspring for the rest of the trio you want. Pikachu is running wild in the forest right before you get your first badge. Mewtwo is an end of the game pokemon however, but you can still catch it in X and Y, and I know from experience, if you find a shiny pokemon you can ask for a Mewtwo on the GTS right from the get go. However, it will be at level 70 so you won't be able to use mewtwo until you get the 7th badge I think. Mew on the other hand MUST be traded from an older game and you cannot look for it on the GTS, you will need to go to message boards and try to find someone willing to trade you one of theirs.

As for other pokemon, not counting legendaries, you can actually get ALL regular pokemon in X and Y except for 22 evolutionary lines (so in other words, there's very few pokemon that aren't natively in X or Y, so there's not a very big need to bother with older gens unless you want the legendaries from them) as for the QUICKEST way to get them, just go onto the GTS and ask for them as soon as you get teh pokedex and captured a few pokemon, you can actually get gen 1 - 6 starters very easily, and in fact, gen 1, 3, 4, and 6 all can also have their hidden abilities too if you want. I myself haven't even gotten to the second gym yet and I have all pokebank exclusive pokemon, a box full of event pokemon, all fossil pokemon (except 1) and am slowly breeding all 5IV versions of the pokemon I ahve caught up to that point as I just got to the breeding facility, so to answer your question, it's very easy to get what you want very quickly!

Thanks mate - this is definitely a big help. I hadn't even considered the GTS and how easy it should be to obtain the ones I want. I especially hadn't thought about breeding pokémon; that kind of stuff wasn't even present in the earlier games (once again showing my age!) Looks like it should be easy to get what I want, with the exception of Mew.

So it looks like I'll be jumping in and getting the game then. I have an awful lot to familiarize myself with -it's going to be a massive jump from gen 1 to 6! I'll definitely try and get into this community and contribute to it once I'm up to scratch. It's also reassuring to see a few older faces about on here - I'm only 25, but was worried I'd be a bit too old. Seems that's not the case!

Thanks again all

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

Thank you for this information - it's a big help! I guess I was kind of stuck in the (very) old mind set from generation 1, thinking that it would be extremely hard to assemble my team. I will definitely keep your post to mind and get in contact about the possibility of obtaining some Kanto starters once I've purchased the game and got settled in. Looks like I've got a lot to read up on first and learn!

Thanks mate - this is definitely a big help. I hadn't even considered the GTS and how easy it should be to obtain the ones I want. I especially hadn't thought about breeding pokémon; that kind of stuff wasn't even present in the earlier games (once again showing my age!) Looks like it should be easy to get what I want, with the exception of Mew.

So it looks like I'll be jumping in and getting the game then. I have an awful lot to familiarize myself with -it's going to be a massive jump from gen 1 to 6! I'll definitely try and get into this community and contribute to it once I'm up to scratch. It's also reassuring to see a few older faces about on here - I'm only 25, but was worried I'd be a bit too old. Seems that's not the case!

Thanks again all

my first game pokemon games were Gen 3, and even that was a big jump! :D And hey, if you need any freebies, just feel free to ask just about anyone on the boards, everyone here is super friendly and eager to help. If you want, I have a few (like 25 or so) 5IV Kangaskhan eggs I really don't feel like hatching, so I can give you one of those if you want! (When it hatches, it will have your Trainer ID, not mine, so it will always obey you regardless of level unlike normally traded pokemon)

Taiji Dragon

Thanks again all

Yeah... As they have told you there is no connectivity between first and second generation games with 3rd onward. It was so sad when i got my sapphire back in 2004. I found out that there was no connectivity when i pluged the link cable to my Silver. It said error no compatibility or something like that. Couldn't get pokemon like the Johto starters, Whooper and others. There is a red and green remake from the same gen call leafgreen and firered. You can get the starters of Kanto from there. There is a game called colosseum and xd dale of darkness. You can get the Johto starters there and other pokemon that are from the dearly departed region. Emerald also has the johto starters and other pokemon from the same region.

Then there comes Diamond and Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold and SoulSilver (Gold and Silver remake) Forming the fourth gen. Then there comes Black and White and Black 2 and White 2 making the 5 generation. Finally contemporarly there is X and Y. Fans are awaiting pokemon Z or X 2 and Y 2 and Ruby and Sapphire remakes. But this is just fan wishing.

There were 151 pokemon in gen 1, 251 pokemon in gen 2, 386 pokemon in gen 3, 493 in gen 4, 649 in gen 5 and now 721pokemon in gen 6. So there are 721 you will get to familiarize with. Good luck! :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    So in Lumiose City I always dine at Restaurant Le Wow to make lots of money, but then I found out about Sushi High Roller, which costs 450,000 to enter, and the perfect reward is 25 Big Nuggets. Big Nuggets sell for 10,000 each, so 25 x 10,000 = 250,000 a.k.a about two hundred thousand less than what you paid to get in, even with the Prize Money (O-Power and Amulet Coin included). Is this restaurant not meant for making money and for experience or what?

Also, how do IVs/EVs work? (I know mostly how stats work, just I'm not sure about how people talk of breeding with better values. Sorry for noob question.)

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    So in Lumiose City I always dine at Restaurant Le Wow to make lots of money, but then I found out about Sushi High Roller, which costs 450,000 to enter, and the perfect reward is 25 Big Nuggets. Big Nuggets sell for 10,000 each, so 25 x 10,000 = 250,000 a.k.a about two hundred thousand less than what you paid to get in, even with the Prize Money (O-Power and Amulet Coin included). Is this restaurant not meant for making money and for experience or what?

Also, how do IVs/EVs work? (I know mostly how stats work, just I'm not sure about how people talk of breeding with better values. Sorry for noob question.)

I guess sushi high roller is just battle challenges if your looking for harder battles :/

As for EVs and IVs they are very important in terms of competitive battling, let's start with IVs first,they are individual values and to shorten it,they are basically hidden stats in your stats :3 for example a charizard has 31 IVs in attack and at level 100 it has overall 200 attack with no items,a charizard with 0 IVs in attack could id say only have 150-170 attack so it does have a good difference.oh and btw im pretty sure IVs are basically set once you get the egg,encounter a certain mon.people breed pokemon with different IVs to hope that the baby will have those IVs to inherit.people also use a destiny knot as a held item to one pokemon with breeding so instead of choosing random 3 IVs to each parent,it chooses random IVs which gains a better chance of the new baby having its parents certain perfect IVs

Now for EVs they are called effort values which are you could say extra points in a stat that you get when defeating a wild or tamed 'mon.You could have i think up to 504 effort values and its best to divide that into half for two stats.lets Say a charizard has 250 or something close to that EVs to attack while another charizard has just mixed up EVs.the difference could and would be staggering.so. Max IVs and EVs on a pokemon's stat can have a drastic change to its overall power :)
    And also to clear up,1 EV doesn't equal to 1 new stat point,uh uh, it's 4 EVs=1 stat point,it's really quite worth it when competitive battling when you have these extra oomph of stats to your pokes

Last edited:

Shhmew

Years
  • So in Lumiose City I always dine at Restaurant Le Wow to make lots of money, but then I found out about Sushi High Roller, which costs 450,000 to enter, and the perfect reward is 25 Big Nuggets. Big Nuggets sell for 10,000 each, so 25 x 10,000 = 250,000 a.k.a about two hundred thousand less than what you paid to get in, even with the Prize Money (O-Power and Amulet Coin included). Is this restaurant not meant for making money and for experience or what?

From what I've seen/read/researched, Sushi High Roller is certainly NOT the place to go if you want to make money. (and, well, if you don't want to lose money) Definitely stick to Le Wow, stay away from the sushi!

As for IVs/EVs, I'm sure Pokecommunity has guides on them but I'm not sure where to find them. x.x EVs are obtained by knocking out certain Pokemon, or super training. they make your stats higher; you can only have so many though, so competitive battlers will strategically only EV train their Pokemon in the stats they need the most.

IVs are a lot more complicated to obtain. I did make a guide on them, and breeding for them, but it's on another website, I hope it's okay if I link it. (here)

Hope this helps :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    You don't leave the Sushi High Roller with a positive money difference. We yet haven't tested what happens when you activate Happy Hour (an event move that doubles prize money) but we are pretty confident that the net result still will be much less than in Le Wow.
    For what it is worth: It is much faster to make money in the Battle Chateau with Gold and Silver Writs activated.

Recap: IVs are hidden values every Pokemon has on their stats. They range from 0 to 31. At Lv 100 that means that a Pokemon with 31 Atk will have 31 more point than one with 0 Atk (or 15 - 16 for Lv 50).

Breeding: Two Pokemon usually pass down three stats (IVs, to be accurate) to their offspring. When one of them carries a Destiny Knot the offspring obtains five IVs from their parents. How do you obtain perfect IVs? The ones in the Undiscovered egg group (Legendaries, babies, Nidorina lol) always have at least three perfect IVs while Friend Safari Pokemon have at least two. Through dilegence and effort (or a certain egg lock trick and a good pool of parents) you will eventually obtain Pokemon with at least five perfect IVs.

EVs: Effort Values are semi-hidden values that represent training. A Pokemon can have a maximum of 510 EVs, every stat can have a maximum EV 252. 4 EVs equals 1 stat point at Lv 100.
    EVs are assigned to the Pokemon depending on the species of the opponent you receive Exp from. For example, Wingulls give one EV in speed, Whismurs give one EV in HP. When the Pokemon in question holds a Macho Band you will receive the double amount of EVs. When it has a Power Item equipped, you will receive in addition the the species dependent points four points of the corresponting Power Item. Super Training also raises EVs (called base value in-game).

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I make my money by sweeping through the battle house next to the daycare, and also having a team of Pokemon with the Pick Up ability when going through friend safaris. Moon Stone and Sun Stone sell for 1,750 a piece (or something close to that).

Not sure why/how people are going broke though... I have 5 million and nothing to really spend it on.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Thanks, for example though, how would I get an Eevee that has perfect stats that I can evolve into Sylveon (Get it? Eevee with perfect E.Vs? Also I.V-saur lol)? I'm currently tring to get an Eevee with good stats and nature for breeding that would make great stats for Sylveon.

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    Thanks, for example though, how would I get an Eevee that has perfect stats that I can evolve into Sylveon (Get it? Eevee with perfect E.Vs? Also I.V-saur lol)? I'm currently tring to get an Eevee with good stats and nature for breeding that would make great stats for Sylveon.

The best thing for now is to find someone with a ditto safari since they would have at least 2 perfect IVs and just breed breed breed :3 oh don't forget to have one if them hold a destiny knot for better results and my suggestion,every lets say 5 hatches? Go to kiloude city checker or an iv calculator on google and check which of those 5 eevees has the best perfect or has the best IVs then replace that new "superior" baby with your old eevee for better results,its just rinse and repeat :) oh and if you get an eevee with the nature you want,have it hold an everstone while in the daycare(so ditto will hold destiny knot) so the nature of the baby will be the same as the eevee good luck

Oh and also,if you could find a person here with a foreign 6 IV ditto that can clone it for you,it will drastically help with your breeding process :) i myself have a Japanese one from a good person in this community but I cant clone right now,only have 1 3ds

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    I too am an original Gen 1 Pokemon gamer and want an all Kanto lineup.

Ideally I would get them as low a level as possible since a trained level is worth more than a level already obtained.

I would like to get into contact with someone who can get me these 6 pokemon.

Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Ghastly, Kangaskhan and MewTwo.

Any help would be very appreciated because I really can't fully enjoy the game without having the Pokemon I want in my line up to start with. Might throw in a Dratini too. Can any one help an old Pokemon Veteran who has been out of the loop for 15 years in getting his favorite Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    We really don't recommend you to start with something that has a 87.5/12.5 sex ratio. In order to start you need a base to build on. You should have finished the E4 in order to get access to the IV judge in Kiloude City. Eevee is in the Field Group, so you probably need appropiate fathers from them. The most successful one is Smeargle who can pass down every move possible.

First, you need to catch a female Smeargle, preferable from a Friend Safari to give you a head start. At least ensure that you will have an appropiate Synchronizer as a lead so that it will have the right nature (Modest and Bold are pretty common for Sylveons).
    Then you need to catch a father in order to pair it with the female Smeargle. You should have a Friend Safari with a Field Group Pokemon because if you don't, you have to catch yourself Riolus, evolve them, then pair them with the Smeargle. Do not forget to check the IVs. You prefer to have as least overlap as possible.
    When you breed Smeargles, make sure that the parent with the nature you wish has a Everstone equipped and the other one the Destiny Knot. If the child turns out to the superior to one of teh parents, swap them out. Repeat until you have a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 male Smeargle with the correct nature.
    Eevee is a very tough one because most of them are male. Try to find a female one and breed it with the Smeargle until you get either a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Eevee or a female with better IVs (replace the mother in that case).

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2014
    Advice/Tips for a newbie for Pokemon Y?

Just picked up a 3DS with pokemon Y after not playing since Saphire!

Any advice? :)

Reactions: Sun

UseTheRNGLuke

The RNG is strong in this one.
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    The game has been out for 5 months and people have hacked it apart to the point of being able to know all the secret mega evolutions and hidden events and even been able to make a power save to make any pokemon you want Shiny and unlock various events in game, so I think it's a very long way off still. If ever, to be honest, because with how easy it is to get 5 and 6IV pokemon now, a lot of the people that would have been working their butts off trying to hack apart the game are now simply spending that time doing it legitimately since it's so easy now. (Note that I said Easy, not fast, because it's certainly not fast, lol!)

And really, there's much less of an incentive to cheat anymore (I'm not saying no one wants to, I'm just saying it's not as "necessary" anymore in order to get the pokemon you want) because with the Destiny Knot you can already get a 5IV pokemon within a few hours, and with the Everstone you can guarantee the nature you want, and every single legitimately catchable legendary always has at least 3IVs now, and with Synchronize you can further increase the chance of getting the nature you want on any pokemon you find, so really, a lot of the people that would have cheated in older gens to get the IVs, natures and so on that they wanted only need to put a few hours of work in and they can get exactly what they want anyway.

The human mind is greedy though and Pokemon's fanbase is absolutely massive, so surely someone out there is trying... Have any of the hackers "sized up" the game to see how hard it would be to create RNG abuse for? Yeah, of course I can get anything I want in hours but I want my dream team now. {XD}

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Just picked up a 3DS with pokemon Y after not playing since Saphire!

Any advice? :)

Be aware of the moves getting categorized, for example all Grass-types were Special moves. However starting from Gen IV, it depends on the move itself, rather by the type; Razor Leaf is now a Physical move, while Giga Drain stays Special.

Pokémon beyond Number 386, if you are not following the fandom after Gen III then it's better to check their type when encountering unfamiliar faces.

New type for this Generation, Fairy-type. There are completely new ones and as well as old ones, like Ralts having Fairy-type as its secondary type or Clefairy whom completely switch to pure Fairy.

Alteration of moves Base Power and Abilities, for example old moves such as Thunderbolt, Surf etc. received a "nerf", Giga Drain's PP was increased from 5 to 10 in Gen IV and Base Power was increased from 60 to 75. Some Abilties were nerfed or upgraded too. Don't forget new Abilities and new moves too!

Try some unfamiliar and have fun! :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2016
    From HeartGold to Y

I haven't been able to find a straight answer on Google, so I thought I'd ask for some clarification here.

I want to transfer a lot of my Pokemon from HeartGold to Black and then to Y. Now I understand I'm able to transfer 6 at a time from HG to Black via some sort of mini-game, but I don't understand the specifics. Some web sites are also saying I need two systems to do this, but others don't mention that requirement.

I appreciate any help I can get on this.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • You do need 2 DS systems for this.

In the Gen V games, there is a post-game facility that houses the Poke Transfer, which lets you transfer over your Gen IV Pokemon to the Gen V games. More info here.

Pokemon Bank is a 3DS-only application that was released a few months ago. It lets you store Gen V Pokemon within it via Pokemon Transporter and send them to X or Y. More info here.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I want to transfer a lot of my Pokemon from HeartGold to Black and then to Y. Now I understand I'm able to transfer 6 at a time from HG to Black via some sort of mini-game, but I don't understand the specifics. Some web sites are also saying I need two systems to do this, but others don't mention that requirement.

You need to have both of these games turned on at the same time for transferring, so yes, you do need two DS systems. :( After that, you could move over all your Pokémon from fifth generation games via PokéBank. This could be found on eShop, and the first month's free.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I know I've asked several questions about this already, but where could I find someone who has a Ditto with 31/31/31/31/31/31 I.V's, and if I did would they want some sort of rare/legendary Pokémon for it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back