• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So... this is a pretty big oversight on Smogon's part. I was looking for ideas for my Lineoone (mostly because while I had an idea for what I wanted, I got a couple Zigzagoons in wonder trade that had egg mvoes Simple Beam, Trick, Rock Climb, and the other had Covet, Tickle, Rock Climb so no I'm totally rethinking what I want to put on it as those all seem like pretty nifty moves. I have no plans to use ALL of them, but since I got zigzagoons with them, I figured they were worth looking into) and went to the Smogon site, the problem is that quite literally EVERY SINGLE Lineoone moveset all had Extremespeed as it's staple move (every single generation all the way back to Ruby and Sapphire, although in Ruby and Sapphire they did have two movesets without this move in addition to the ones that did) and upon checking, the only way to get this move is from the Zigzagoon from Pokemon Box. Seriously, in the DECADE since that peripheral came out no one came up with an alternate move? Surely they don't ONLY use battle simulators that list all possible moves rather than play the actual games and devise real world move sets, do they?? (sorry, I needed to rant and get that off my chest because I REALLY wanted Extreme Speed on my Zigzagoon and I'm just ticked off that I can't get it.)

ANYWAY, back to the whole point of this post, since I can't get Extreme Speed, I was considering Rock Climb because that was what my egg move Zigzagoons have, and while I like the 20% chance of Confusion, it's only got an 85% hit rate, so opinions? Is this a worthwhile normal type move or is it just too inaccurate to bother with?
    Smogon sets are made with the mindset that you'll be playing on a simulator like Pokemon Showdown, which is why sets commonly recommend rare event moves like V-Create on Rayquaza or specific Hidden Power types. You always have to keep that in mind when playing on cartridge but looking at Smogon sets. So they always have Extreme Speed on Linoone sets since STAB +2 priority is a great thing to have, and on a battle sim you don't have to worry about doing some complicated **** to get one with these special moves.

But as for other Linoone move sets, the only move there that seems worth it to me is Trick. If you can get a HA Linoone, you could do some **** where you give it a Toxic Orb and teach it Trick, Facade, Protect, and Play Rough. Rock Climb isn't worth it to me because of the accuracy (85% isn't bad, but I've had Fire Blasts miss at the worst times sometimes) and because a statused Facade or Return/Frustration is just much stronger.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    players who live in uk or usa

please, i beg of you, i really want diancie but i dont live in uk or usa. we dont even have GAME or gamestop stores here so i cant get her serial code. so please, can someone get me one of those and sent it to me with PM? i will be so grateful.

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • Could you tell us where you live exactly? According to Serebii.net, It is also available in France, Germany, Spain, Belgium, The Netherlands & Italy at the same time, but details are not known.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hi. Me again. Still having Bank issues. After rummaging through the Pokemon site and not being able to find where to email for tech support for Bank or even the games, I just started Googling some stuff to see if anyone else had this issue outside of PC. I found this though I don't know how relevant it is since that was back in February when we first got Bank (I think, anyway). No one seemed to find help then either.

The only help email I found to contact was for help with your Pokemon.com account stuff (which is weird that they had an email dedicated to that but not Bank of all things, from what I saw anyway). Any more help I could get with this would be great. I still have stuff in gen V I want to transfer and obviously that can't be done with this going on.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Hi. Me again. Still having Bank issues. After rummaging through the Pokemon site and not being able to find where to email for tech support for Bank or even the games, I just started Googling some stuff to see if anyone else had this issue outside of PC. I found this though I don't know how relevant it is since that was back in February when we first got Bank (I think, anyway). No one seemed to find help then either.

The only help email I found to contact was for help with your Pokemon.com account stuff (which is weird that they had an email dedicated to that but not Bank of all things, from what I saw anyway). Any more help I could get with this would be great. I still have stuff in gen V I want to transfer and obviously that can't be done with this going on.
    1-800-255-3700. Best advice I can give.

Now, I have a curious question.

Has anyone ever accidentally deleted a Friend Code from their 3DS while inside that contact's Friend Safari? If so, what happens?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    What Ability should my Exploud have? I'm fully aware the overwhelming repetition of "Scrappy" is going to deafen any other opinion, and while I'm FULLY aware of the advantages of Scrappy, Soundproof makes it immune to quite a lot of moves (including Boomburst from other Explouds and Noivern) I will be having moves that can hit Ghost types so I'm not worried about losing the ability to defend against them. I really like the Soundproof ability, especially on Exploud, but I don't know if I am making a mistake or not. I'm currently breeding one at the moment and really need some advice. (And PLEASE do not post some standard moveset for it, I already have a moveset and item planned, I JUST want opinions on the ability) one message board post I saw made a very good point in that if you want it more defensive, you go for Soundproof, if you want it more offensive, you go for Scrappy and I am leaning more towards making it defensive (in the sense of Ev training it's Hp and Sp Att to the max, giving it Boomburst, Fireblast/Flamethrower, Extrasensory (to handle fighting types), and either Focus Blast or Shadow Ball and holding an Assault Vest to boost it's Sp Def by 50% (which will make it 274 at level 100 which is 5 points higher than it's max Sp Def with a Beneficial nature and full Iv/Ev, so it's almost like having 3 stats maxed) but since it's not something I can just fix with the Ability Capsule, I really need to be sure one way or the other.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What Ability should my Exploud have? I'm fully aware the overwhelming repetition of "Scrappy" is going to deafen any other opinion, and while I'm FULLY aware of the advantages of Scrappy, Soundproof makes it immune to quite a lot of moves (including Boomburst from other Explouds and Noivern) I will be having moves that can hit Ghost types so I'm not worried about losing the ability to defend against them. I really like the Soundproof ability, especially on Exploud, but I don't know if I am making a mistake or not. I'm currently breeding one at the moment and really need some advice. (And PLEASE do not post some standard moveset for it, I already have a moveset and item planned, I JUST want opinions on the ability) one message board post I saw made a very good point in that if you want it more defensive, you go for Soundproof, if you want it more offensive, you go for Scrappy and I am leaning more towards making it defensive (in the sense of Ev training it's Hp and Sp Att to the max, giving it Boomburst, Fireblast/Flamethrower, Extrasensory (to handle fighting types), and either Focus Blast or Shadow Ball and holding an Assault Vest to boost it's Sp Def by 50% (which will make it 274 at level 100 which is 5 points higher than it's max Sp Def with a Beneficial nature and full Iv/Ev, so it's almost like having 3 stats maxed) but since it's not something I can just fix with the Ability Capsule, I really need to be sure one way or the other.
    If you're going for defensive I would say Soundproof. If you go with Shadow Ball then you've got coverage for Ghost types, and even if you don't run Shadow Ball you still have moves that can hit Ghosts. Soundproof gives you immunity to things like Perish Song, Hyper Voice and Boomburst like you said before, so personally I'd definitely say that Soundproof is going to help a defensive Exploud more. I'm no expert at all at these things and I don't know if my advice is in any way good, but that's just my personal opinion of what Ability you should pick :).

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    If you're going for defensive I would say Soundproof. If you go with Shadow Ball then you've got coverage for Ghost types, and even if you don't run Shadow Ball you still have moves that can hit Ghosts. Soundproof gives you immunity to things like Perish Song, Hyper Voice and Boomburst like you said before, so personally I'd definitely say that Soundproof is going to help a defensive Exploud more. I'm no expert at all at these things and I don't know if my advice is in any way good, but that's just my personal opinion of what Ability you should pick :).

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! ;-) And after I posted this, I started thinking that in Double and Triple battles, Boomburst also hits any ally around you and if I don't have Scrappy, then that opens up options with what partners I can have with me as well that won't get hurt when I use that move (which is one thing I notice that move set suggestions sometimes ignore, they always suggest Surf and Earthquake on everything that can learn it, but in double and triple battles that can severely restrict who your partners can be)

Years
  • I have a quick question. The Judge in Kiloude City Pokemon Center, how does that work? When I ask him to judge my Shiny Pancham, he says HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Def and Speed are equally good. Does that mean he's 5IV?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I have a quick question. The Judge in Kiloude City Pokemon Center, how does that work? When I ask him to judge my Shiny Pancham, he says HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Def and Speed are equally good. Does that mean he's 5IV?
    This makes for a good guide to interpreting the IV Judge:
    Spoiler:

But your Pancham only has 5 perfect IVs if he also says "Stats like those, they can't be beat" or something like that.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! ;-) And after I posted this, I started thinking that in Double and Triple battles, Boomburst also hits any ally around you and if I don't have Scrappy, then that opens up options with what partners I can have with me as well that won't get hurt when I use that move (which is one thing I notice that move set suggestions sometimes ignore, they always suggest Surf and Earthquake on everything that can learn it, but in double and triple battles that can severely restrict who your partners can be)

Scrappy is still the superior ability on Exploud so that Ghosts can't come in and wall Boomburst. If you don't want a partner to be crippled by Boomburst on doubles, pair Exploud up with a Rock or Steel Pokemon. If you want a Scrappy Exploud, ask for a Loudred Safari from someone who happens to be active in the PSS a lot.

Years
  • This makes for a good guide to interpreting the IV Judge:

But your Pancham only has 5 perfect IVs if he also says "Stats like those, they can't be beat" or something like that.

He says that with my Pancham, so it has perfect 5IV's.
    Okay, just to see if I understand things, with my Vaporeon he says: "This pokemon's potential is decent all around. Incidentally, I would say that its greatest potential lies in its speed stat. It's definitely got some good stats. That how I judge it."

The 'good stats' mean 16 to 25, and is that for the speed only right or for all stats? So this is not an example of a great IV pokemon, correct?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    He says that with my Pancham, so it has perfect 5IV's.
    Okay, just to see if I understand things, with my Vaporeon he says: "This pokemon's potential is decent all around. Incidentally, I would say that its greatest potential lies in its speed stat. It's definitely got some good stats. That how I judge it."

The 'good stats' mean 16 to 25, and is that for the speed only right or for all stats? So this is not an example of a great IV pokemon, correct?
    Yeah, the "good stats" part only applies to Speed in this case. And yeah, I wouldn't call that one a good IV Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Scrappy is still the superior ability on Exploud so that Ghosts can't come in and wall Boomburst. If you don't want a partner to be crippled by Boomburst on doubles, pair Exploud up with a Rock or Steel Pokemon. If you want a Scrappy Exploud, ask for a Loudred Safari from someone who happens to be active in the PSS a lot.

We've already established that I have shadow ball, not to mention Psychic and Fire type moves which both do neutral damage to ghosts, so how can I get walled in by ghosts? We've also established that I specifically DON'T want to limit my partner choices (maybe I would LIKE to have a ghost partner rather than ONLY rock or Steel types or other pokemon with soundproof or telepathy) plus if I have a ghost partner, again how can I get walled in by ghosts? and I already have a Loudred with Scrappy from the Safari in Pokebank, but I don't want it, I specifically wanted Soundproof.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • We've already established that I have shadow ball, not to mention Psychic and Fire type moves which both do neutral damage to ghosts, so how can I get walled in by ghosts? We've also established that I specifically DON'T want to limit my partner choices (maybe I would LIKE to have a ghost partner rather than ONLY rock or Steel types or other pokemon with soundproof or telepathy) plus if I have a ghost partner, again how can I get walled in by ghosts? and I already have a Loudred with Scrappy from the Safari in Pokebank, but I don't want it, I specifically wanted Soundproof.

All Exploud is about is spamming Boomburst. It only uses its coverage moves when necessary, when a Rock or Steel Pokemon comes in. That's for Scrappy variants.

And you can just have your teammate use Protect.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Apparently in Gen V, Scolipede had Quick Feet as it's Hidden Ability.. but in Gen VI, it's HA is now Speed Boost.

My question is, what happens if you transfer a Quick Feet Scolipede to Gen VI? and what if you breed it? Will it even get through the Bank?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Apparently in Gen V, Scolipede had Quick Feet as it's Hidden Ability.. but in Gen VI, it's HA is now Speed Boost.

My question is, what happens if you transfer a Quick Feet Scolipede to Gen VI? and what if you breed it? Will it even get through the Bank?

Quick feet simply becomes Speed Boost. Basically, like all pokemon, a particular species has exactly the same stats as all the other ones of the same species, the difference comes in what IVs it has and what EVs it gained. Now, when you transfer that pokemon to another game, if the pokemon got a increase or reduction in stats (like a couple of them did get boosts in fact) that pokemon simply gets the new stats because that species is fixed. Same with abilities, the pokemon doesn't (to grossly oversimplify) have 1 of 3 abilities, it has ability 1, ability 2, or hidden ability 3, so, like the stats, any pokemon with ability 1, 2 or 3 will have whatever the game dictates is ability 1 2 or 3 for that species in that game.

QUESTION: I know it's WAY to early for anyone to actually know, but has anyone heard rumours of what move tutor moves might be available in ORAS? I ask because while I did get a Genesect, it came with Signal Beam and Magnet Bomb. i want it to have a mix of physical and special attacks because of its ability, so I was considering either waiting for ORAS to change Magnet Bomb to Iron Head if possible, but if that isn't an option (I REALLY wish they had traded me one with Iron Head!) I was then going to consider changing Signal Beam to X Scissor and changing Magnet Bomb to Flash Cannon, however, I would much prefer Iron Head so has anyone heard any rumours about what or even IF move tutors will be in the remakes? I figured with everyone clamouring for info someone might have heard something.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Can anyone tell me if there are any Downloadable Battle Tests for the Battle Institute and where to find them? Because the feature is there but theres no way to download any. Or if Gamefreak even has anything planned with that feature?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back