• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Your Father

Years
  • Your Father

As far as I know, RSE was the first pokemon game to have your father in the story line, and as a gym leader to boot. Personally, when I learned of this in my first play through of Sapphire, I thought for sure he would have a large role in the plot of the game. Unfortunately, there was little to do with your father besides assist Wally and then win the fifth gym badge. Do you think this will change in ORAS? Will Norman end up being integrated to the meddling of Team Magma and Aqua, or in any other way? Will his participation in his own son/daughter's adventure remain fairly minimal?

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years
  • I think in general people who were considerably vague in RSE will be given a bigger role ORAS. They've learned a lot since generation III. However, I can't predict the future, so I can't really say exactly how they'll plan him out.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Not in my book. I never really saw any reason why they made our Dad a Gym Leader, I always thought it would be better had he been our rival's Dad. Professor Birch works as well, though. I thought our Dad was a really strong Gym Leader but I was disappointed when I saw that his Gym is in Petalburg, and he wants us to grow stronger and challenge him later. Didn't really see the point lol because we don't really see him much other than a Gym Battle like any other regular Gym Leader.

That being heard, I don't think they would increase his role in the games, except maybe a bit bigger influence on Wally, perhaps he would give some advice along with the Zigzagoon (thus indirectly giving the advice to the player) and he would call us from time to time to give some light on the (rather confusing) happenings in and around the region.

Years
  • If they want to pull a PokeSupe then he'd definitely be much more involved. However, I can't see him having a bigger role other than being your father and assisting Wally with getting his first Pokemon. Maybe he will call you from time to time like Hoenn suggested, but that's about it.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • Yeah i think he might have an aftergame story arc but thats all i think they will add

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I haven't played Heart Gold or Soul Silver so I wouldn't know. Do any of the characters in those games get an extended role beyond what they do in Crystal, besides the Kimono girls?

If not then I wouldn't count on him having a bigger role... Granted GameFreak has gone out of their way to surprise us before...

I would like it if there were something you could do with the character. The gym leaders in the remakes seem like they get to at least have some of their life outside the gym shown. Maybe he can appear in Littleroot Town on the weekends or something?

Personally I'd rather have Professor Birch as our dad ):

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Personally, I want two dads this time around, like if you choose Male (Brendan) you get Professor Birch, if you choose Female (May) you get Norman. And tbh, I like if your dad shows up in the end of the Champion Battle and give you an item of some sorts :P

Rayquaza2016

Hardcore Hydreigon Fan
    Years
  • Personally, I want two dads this time around, like if you choose Male (Brendan) you get Professor Birch, if you choose Female (May) you get Norman. And tbh, I like if your dad shows up in the end of the Champion Battle and give you an item of some sorts :P

The item should be... uh... Master Ball? Then the Aqua Hideout's Master Ball should become... uh... a TM for Scald!

Norman should play a bigger role in ORAS. He's almost not involved with the game at all, other than helping Wally and giving you your 5th badge.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • The item could be the Master Ball or a Mega stone, if those do make a return in the games.

I'd also like if each character has a different dad. It makes sense that May's dad would be Professor Birch by default since he's the scientific and inquisitive type and in the game your rival wants to complete the PokeDex and just go on a journey while Norman is the battling type and your character is supposed to challenge the League at the same time as everything else. Perhaps if you're May you can actually do Contest stuff...

ANYWAY, Norman affecting the game in that way would be interesting. I want to see him help you fight Team Magma/Aqua at some point since he seems like a character that would run out of his gym at impromptu moments to go rescue someone in peril. :p

Years
  • I'm not so sure how they could portray Norman, other than being a well-respected figure of Petalburg City, the protagonist's father, and fifth gym leader. Maybe could be the one that introduces the Mega Ring upgrade, but perhaps not.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I'm not so sure how they could portray Norman, other than being a well-respected figure of Petalburg City, the protagonist's father, and fifth gym leader. Maybe could be the one that introduces the Mega Ring upgrade, but perhaps not.

Actually he could be the one! Other than Professor Birch of course. Can't seem to hurt and like you can get your starter's mega stone from him after you defeat him possibly?

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
    Years
  • Your Father

As far as I know, RSE was the first pokemon game to have your father in the story line, and as a gym leader to boot. Personally, when I learned of this in my first play through of Sapphire, I thought for sure he would have a large role in the plot of the game. Unfortunately, there was little to do with your father besides assist Wally and then win the fifth gym badge. Do you think this will change in ORAS? Will Norman end up being integrated to the meddling of Team Magma and Aqua, or in any other way? Will his participation in his own son/daughter's adventure remain fairly minimal?

don't forget that he gives you the ticket for southern island (event)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Aside his current role as 5th Gym leader I don't really see them expanding on his storyline much. Perhaps he could have some involvement with Mega Evolutions and provide you with a Mega ring, after all it is around that time in the game you receive that item.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Personally, I always found the Gym Leaders' and Pokemon League's apathy towards the villainous groups throughout the region oddly endearing.

Norman shouldn't get involved with the main plot.

Years
  • In the original games, all you saw of him was in his Gym, so it would be nice to see more of him here. Maybe give him a better team? I doubt he'd have any real appearance in the big villainous team parts.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Really do hope that Norman takes more of a prominent role in these games. Just seems so random that your father in RSE is just sitting in one room, in one spot, for pretty much the entire game with the same piece of dialogue every time. Not to say that your Mum's is much different, but at least she had a bit more life in her in X&Y. So to many degrees, I hope that both Norman and the mother of the player in the story take more of a prominent and "involved" stance. Especially with dialogue. Norman should be pretty well "in-the-know" when it comes to the goings-on in Hoenn, so I should be expecting him to know more about what the player is experiencing, especially when it comes to Team Magma/Aqua. I wouldn't mind if he had more involvement in the story for sure, but I really hope that Norman isn't the lifeless father sitting in the end of a gym all day with the same line "<Player>, you should go visit your mother every so often. I'm going to stay here and redouble my training. It would bother me as a Trainer to not avenge my loss to you, <player>!" every time I see him. Except for the rematches of course, in which his dialogue alters slightly (still boring).

Years
  • I'm definitely an advocate of expanding Norman as a character. His occupation being a Hoenn gym leader, one would think his son becoming a pokemon trainer tops his list of priorities. It didn't seem like that in RSE, and that should change. There are various things they could do to make him a more prominent character, whether it be including him in more of the clashes with Team Magma and Aqua, or encountering the player around the region.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Maybe they'll take a cue from Poke special and make Norman worry about us. Yet also keep the encouraging us aspect from RSE. A character who is conflicted makes for an interesting one.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    He better get a bigger role. For him to whip my ass so many times in a row and then his role just end entirely except for the post-game "here ur ticket' bit is pretty irritating. Not only that but I think he's the type of character that would be able to have a big influence in the games if they just gave it to him.

Back