• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favourite Rival?

Who's your fave rival?

• Blue

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Silver

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Wally

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Barry

• Cheren

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Bianca

• Hugh

• Tierno

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Trevor

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Shauna

• Hau

• Gladion

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • Every main series Pokemon continuity is known for having those trainers who try to either catch up to you or are a step ahead of you - those of course being the rivals. Which of the rivals in the Pokemon universe is your fave?

(and yes I put Gladion in the poll because he sort-of does serve in a role similar to most of the rivals, in that they appear a lot in the main story and whatnot)

Years
  • I loved Blue's personality, he's one of the very few rivals to actually feel like a 'rival' and him being the Champion just rubbed salt in the wounds so he gets my vote :)

Trainer 766

Wally's my fave. He started from being a boy with asthma to a complete badass.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I have special places in my heart for the XY crew but that's mainly because I have a Big Fanfic plotted featuring them haha. But overall, Gladion and Hau were absolutely the best characters :') Before them it was definitely Barry though i love him~~

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Hugh, Bianca, Gladion, Hau, Barry, and Blue.

the XY rivals were just a complete disaster imo as there were far too many of them. so glad they improved massively on this aspect in sun & moon.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • honestly as much as i like them i agree with that? i just like them because of the stories i personally created for them lmao

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • This was a hard decision, I love pretty much all of them, except for Trevor and Cheren...they bother me for whatever reason...But my favorites were for sure Silver and his bad attitude, Shauna and her constant pep and Gladion and the feels he brings

Alexherobrine45

MOFPC - Master Of Fake Pokémon Creation
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2018
    RB (Blue): Never played it.
    GS (Silver): Never played it.
    RS (May): Cutesy rival, honestly takes the friend aspect well. You forgot her btw.
    RS (Wally): ORAS makes him more substantial, but I would've honestly preferred Norman as a rival. Or even just May.
    DP (Barry): If only I could get past how slow this game is, I could vote for certain here. (Get it? Because Barry's obsessed over speed?)
    BW (Cheren + Bianca): Cheren's cool, Bianca's annoying. This is retained in B2W2. Also, you forgot N, otherwise this would be a solid vote for N above even Barry and Hau.
    B2W2 (Hugh): DUDE, that was 5 years ago, GET OVER IT! (Referring to Hugh's stupid Plasma vendetta about a Purrloin that wasn't even his that got stolen well before the events of even BW.)
    XY (Serena): Better than the other XY rivals, although Serena's disposition toward the player and Shauna's should be switched lest you play as Serena making your rival Calem. Also, you forgot her too.
    XY (Shauna): Don't pick Serena unless you want to call Shauna gay.
    XY (Tierno + Trevor): The worst rivals to come out of the games. One's a buffoon who only cares about his Swords Dancing Vice Gripping Crawdaunt, the other is a nerd who only cares about the Pokédex until Route 19 near the end of the game.
    SM (Hau): Pretty nice friendly rival. Haven't played enough to see if he is bad, which means he probably isn't because I'm already done with the first island.
    SM (Gladion): Haven't gotten there yet.

Final verdict: Cheren, Barry and Hau were the best. N is better if he even counts. Serena and May are close. Blue and Silver sound cool, but I haven't played any games before Gen 4, really, so they take the middle, alongside Wally, of the "good rival" 1/2 and the "bad rival" half, a major downfall from the good rival half, those being Shauna, Buffoon And Nerd, Bianca (too annoying) and Hugh (the one blemish in the imo best games of the pre-Mega timeline).

Last edited:
    Years
  • I voted for both Blue and Silver since I could select more than one. Its a good thing that N is not classified as a rival here, because he would have made it even harder for me to decide, another great character.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    So glad you put Wally in! I think he's the best. Especially in the manga; so unfair he didn't get a dex!

Gladion too though, he was deep and the whole family plot was nice.

Years
  • I gotta go with Blue. I feel like he is what a rival should be. I really enjoyed competing with him throughout the game.

SkySilvally

♡ Worry's only wasted time ♡
    Years
  • I, like Aquacorde, am super biased because of fics I've done with 2/3 of the rivals I picked. '^^

Blue is the main character in my personal little fanfic, and as such, he is my favorite Pokemon character period...I love him ;-;

I also picked Hugh because of my White 2 Nuzlocke comic that got me attached to him.

And then I chose Gladion because
    1. Actual plot relevance
    2. Cool design
    3. SILVALLY <3

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I like Silver and Gladion because of their designs and personalities and I like Cheren and Bianca because I like the idea of having two best friends/rivals who are polar opposites.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Didn't even know Gladion was considered a rival. Then again, maybe GF just listened to those people who really wanted a rival that joins the evil team...

Well, anyway, I picked Blue and Gladion. Blue for his jerkish rival behavior and the fact that I really like gen 1 as a whole. And Gladion because I like his style; also he's a decent character, I suppose.

Dunno what it is with people liking Silver, though. I find him kinda forgettable, especially since his relevance diminishes at some point. Then again, maybe it's because he didn't really do much in the postgame.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2020
    To be honest I feel that Gamefreak has been going downhill when it comes to rival creations, I despised Gladion extremely and Hau was OK, but not Blue level. I really liked Blue because he's the game version of Gary Oak. Although I did like Cheren, but that's pretty much as far as I go when it comes to rivals. The Elite Four has more interest to me than Rivals anyways.

Jakuzure

The Snake
    Years
  • Blue has always been my favourite, I don't think I ever got over the whole him getting to be the Champion before my character did thing, and then having him as a Gym Leader in the next generation was all the better. :3

Honourable mentions go to Gladion and Hugh, who I also really liked. Just not as much as Blue.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    SILVER WAS SUCH A SNOT but I loved him a lot HOWEVER Gladion stole my heart yall

Least fav is that hyperactive wild child in platinum that needs to chill tf out

Back