• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your First Computer

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • Those were the days. My first one was a Dell Trinitron with a CRT monitor that ran on Windows 95. It took about 10 minutes to fully boot but I got used to it in due time. My dad upgraded it to XP and deleted some of the files that were useless, but looking back on it now they should have been preserved on archive so I can look at them in my spare time. However, it didn't take as long to boot. I had the computer for about 10 years before I replaced it with an all-in-one touchscreen monitor that ran Vista, then upgraded to 7 after realising how bad Vista was and the fact I got a virus.

I still have these computers stored away somewhere. This summer I might take them out again and see if they still hold up.

Years
  • gah i can barely remember. i think a cruddy win98 desktop? that i spent majority of time playing simcity on. those were some good times
    I still have my original cruddy windows 98 desktop sitting in the corner of my room haha!

don't ask why but it's just there :')

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It was a laptop a long time ago and used windows XP.

Years
  • I had very old computer that i purchased it one in 2004 with a Windows XP on it, XP was a one of the best OS and it had an amazing Movie Maker that was being made with it, i still don't like new Movie Maker one, but i still think its an better one.

(sorry for my poor English)

Last edited:
    Years
  • An old HP that started with Windows ME, back in like 2002? It still works but my dad's shitty ex kidnapped it. RIP

Years
  • Interesting topic, don't mind if I join in.

I got my very first computer when I was about eight, my dad gave it to me. It wasn't really a "PC" as it was one of the newest iMac computers at the time. I used an iMac since then up until two months ago when I finally upgraded to a gaming computer. I now run Windows 10 and am extremely proud of it.

Years
  • Wow, been a while since I thought about this one but if I remember correctly, my first was a huge Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 95. I'm not sure what happened to it over the years - I wish I still had it. It would be useless now but still interesting to mess around with.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • The first computer I used was a first-generation iMac with Mac OS 9, that was the one my parents had - of course I never used it alone but I remember playing a few educational games on CD when I was like 5, and then a few years later I started using the internet, although under my parents' supervision until I was 10. The first computer that was meant for me is actually still the one that I'm using now, a late 2009 iMac that my parents bought me in 2010 after finishing middle school. It works even better than when it was new after I swapped the HD with a SSD a few years ago, so I haven't thought about changing it yet.

Years
  • My first desktop, was an old Packard-Bell desktop that ran Windows 95....Then, I got my first laptop, a cruddy Compaq presario one that ran Windows 7. It was so cruddy that I switched from PC to Mac in 2014.

Bay

Years
  • A Sony desktop that ran Windows ME that lasted until I was in second/third year of college. Technically a family computer as I use it for homework and occasional internet, while my dad would play computer games on it. After that I got a Sony VAIO. I can't remember how long that laptop lasted for me, maybe 7 or 8 years.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • there was a really early one that had dos 5.0 on it that i used when i was very young but i don't remember the model on that one. i think eventually a really early version of windows like 3 or 3.1 got loaded on it but it's hard to remember. the one i used much more was the ibm aptiva we got sometime around 1998 with windows 98 on it (later 98se, and MUUUUCH later i put windows xp on it). as of like two days ago, i actually still have it (my dad found it in storage with his stuff so i took possession of it). i spent so much time on that thing. that lasted us close to ten years, we eventually got a dell dimension or something in 2006 that was much more up to date and ran windows xp.

that wasn't the last of the aptiva, though. in early 2010 i wanna say, sophomore year of college, my laptop's battery fried. i upgraded the aptiva with a better hard drive and more ram and that got me through the summer until i was able to build the desktop that i'm still using today (although just about every part other than the motherboard has been upgraded ship of theseus style). man, though, that aptiva was SLOOOW in 2010. that was when i installed xp on it and getting it to do much of anything, even with upgrades, was pretty difficult; it was just way too slow. still not as bad as the three or four months i was stuck using dial-up in like 2012 or 2013, though. that was much, much worse.

Magitronique

I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
    Years
  • My first machine was an ancient Packard Bell tower that ran Windows 95, later upgraded to 98. While I didn't have the desktop for particularly long (probably only like three to five years max, I was pretty young so I don't remember much) I used the keyboard it came with until like only two or three years ago and I still love that thing to bits.

Probably weird to be attached to a keyboard rather than any actual machine but I literally grew up using the thing haha!

Years
  • I got my first computer pretty late in life thanks to poverty in the 2000s. Back then I was all internet cafes.

Our first home system was a Pentium G630 with integrated graphics, 2GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM, 500GB Hard drive, and a shoddy af power supply that I was amazed kept the system running in its ~5 years of existence. It could only ever run Counter Strike Source and a couple old GBA games well but I loved it to bits.

Back