• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Pokemon got infected by a virus!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Since it was introduced in generation 2 the Pokerus has always been around. Even though it is considered to be a virus, there's nothing bad about it, since the only thing it's doing is helping your Pokemon grow faster by doubling the gained EVs. And if that wasn't enough it also spreads to other Pokemon in your team. It cures after time passes but the benefital effect still remains.

I remember my Pokemon getting it first in one of my playthroughs of Sapphire. I was kinda scared which resulted in me turning my GBA off, so I could get rid of it. It even happened a second time a couple of months later. (and I did the same as before ^^")

Did you come across the Pokerus? When was is and how did you react?

Are you using it to train your Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    If Pokemon didn't have Pokerus, I wouldn't even bother with EV training as it'd take too long for my liking.

When I first encountered it on FireRed, I was somewhat concerned over my Charmeleon, so I decided to keep a very close eye on it. Before I knew it, all my Pokemon had suddenly caught it, and despite being called a "virus", it didn't seem to be affecting my Pokemon in any ill way.

It wasn't till a Generation later that I found out that it helped a Pokemon grow quicker. Boy was I pleased!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've encountered PokéRus only twice in my lifetime; once in HeartGold, and another time in Black 2. They're so hard to come by, so I never try searching for them or anything of the like. I do take down wild Pokémon every once in a while when I encounter one, but usually doesn't help. d: Would have been awesome if they'd allow you to directly get a hold of some direct PokéRus-inflected Pokémon in-game; that way, you'd never have to put any effort into finding them. It would lower their value, but that needs to be sacrificed a bit if we want more time to lay-back and relax, haha.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I only found Pokerus once or twice, I think it was in Diamond. Back then I didn't know what it was, so I was just like "wut". I didn't know how to use it, I didn't know what it did, it was just a new experience that I didn't understand.

Now that I know if it, I kind of miss it. It made competitive EV training a lot easier.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I first got PokeRus in XY - I don't even know where my team got it, or which Pokemon got it first... I didn't even know I had it until I arrived at a Pokemon Center, I think one or two of my Pokemon still has it on one of my PC's.

Reaction? - probably surprised at first, not really sure what it does so I don't have that "surprised" reaction.

Using it? - not sure what it does, so I'm guessing not,

Years
  • In my Gold someone gave me a Mew that was cured of Pokerus; dunno if it was legit., though. I also got a Milotic in Ruby with it and managed to infect my Pokemon. Again, I don't know if they got it without cheating. The third time, I got it in my English Black. Interesting enough, I must have gotten it from a Trainer battle because I was notified of having it after losing to Clay, and I know I had to have healed my Pokemon at least before taking on Driftveil's gym, so either I got it from one of the Trainers or from Clay himself. And then the fourth time I got it from a Ferroseed received over Wonder Trade~

When I got it the first, second, and fourth times, I wasn't too excited. Didn't really know what it did the second time; fourth time I was trying for a Pokerus-infected Pokemon for EV Training, so. However, when I got it in my Black, I was excited as heck given how rare it was, and then proceeded to infect a bunch of my Pokemon and make sure one had it but wasn't cured so I could pass it on to my other games~

Years
  • I got it in Pokémon X, I caught an Oddish so I could use Sweet Scent, so it was on my team for a while and before I knew it my entire team had pokérus. I totally freaked out cause I had no idea what it meant - as soon as I Googled it and realised it wasn't a bad thing I just left them to it lol, I didn't specifically use it deliberately for training or anything, it just happened to be on the Pokémon that I wanted to train is all lol so it definitely wasn't tactical haha :)

Years
  • I never got it myself, I don't think. ;-; A friend's Plusle in R/S/E became infected though so she spread the virus around and traded me a spare Pokemon. I've been moving them around to future games ever since but have yet to get my own. What luck!

Years
  • I think I actually have a Gardevoir or something with Pokerus in the PC of one of my games, but I haven't ever cared to take it out and infect the others. (Got it in a trade.)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I managed to get Pokerus in both White 2 and Y within my first two weeks of playing both. I mostly had silly beginning Pokemon, so I made sure to spread it through my team, box them, and save them for a later date. My surprise wasn't so much about what Pokerus is (as I had encountered it in previous generations through friends), but more about my luck in getting it.

I'd happily trade that in for some luck finding shinies though!

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • My newly hatched charmander (Whose name I believe was Biondu) got it from a wild ekans while I was grinding to evolve it, and when the pokemon center nurse told me it was sick, I thought the game was going to delete it.

My Furfrou Oreo got it in my X playthrough fighting a horde of Floatzel and now basically all my pokemon have it.

Years
  • Unfortunately, I've never gotten PokeRus on a Pokemon. Many of my friends have and used it from bragging rights, but I have yet to see it in-game. I like how rare it is though, adds some unprecedented value to the feature. If the games made it simple to infect Pokemon with the virus, then it wouldn't be nearly as coveted.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Whoa, PokeRus is rare? I've infected a bunch of my Pokemon - mostly on games where I've played a significant amount of time after beating the Elite Four & completing the story. I can't remember how many times I have infected my Pokemon myself since almost all of my Pokemon have it at this point haha. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Years
  • If you trade online, it's easy to get it. Heck, even some Pokemon from Wonder Trade come with Pokerus.

As for actually coming contact with one myself, my shiny Typhlosion in HeartGold got it on the route to Olivine for the first time.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I've had three instances where I've gotten Pokerus during my whole play time with the whole series. The first was during a Sapphire run, where my Swampert was the first one that I noticed who contracted it. Of course, this was way back when I didn't even know what EVs were, so I never gave it a second thought. Fun fact, I still have this Swampert.

The second time I've gotten Pokerus was during my a Platinum run, where the Togepi that Cynthia gave had Pokerus attached to it. As of this time, I knew full well what Pokerus was and what it did. So I was pleasantly surprised, and happy when I saw the Togepi had it.

My third and most recent time in getting Pokerus, was during my Y run. I caught a Fletchling in the earlier portions of the game, and it wasn't until the seventh gym, I realized it had Pokerus. It was pretty astonishing since it took me so long to actually notice that it had contracted it.

Honestly, I love Pokerus. It makes EV training so much less of a hassle, and ever since Gen VI. I love using it to Horde EV train.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I encountered Pokérus for the first time when I was playing in Pokémon Ruby, I remember when I was catching Solrock at Meteor Falls and find out that it's infected by the virus. That time I was not sure what to do that I just shut down the game to make sure that virus would never come lol.

The second time I got one, I finally understand how Pokérus work that when I got one when going to Undella Town in Pokémon White, I decided to keep the infected Pokémon in the PC to make sure that the Pokérus still spreadable, knowing it will have the advantage of training stats faster, and I'm not regretting it ever since.

Hypocrates

shampain
    Years
  • I managed to catch two Pokemon with Pokerus in X & Y alone. The first was a random Riolu I caught just for the Pokedex and the other was my prized Goomy who I love to death. I hadn't ever encountered it before so it was a nice surprise~!

Back