• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yugioh VS. Pokemon!

DragonRush

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2010
    What is More Competitive gameplay wise Yugih TCG or Pokemon TCG?

PuNkSter

Typhlosion is on fire!
    Years
    Hands down to Yu-Gi-Oh when it comes to cards. Pokemon TCG is more straight forward, attach energy cards, attack, knock out certain amount of pokemon, etc. But Yu-Gi-Oh is more about strategy and anything can happen when playing. Competitively I go with Yu-Gi-Oh.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    Hands down to Yu-Gi-Oh when it comes to cards. Pokemon TCG is more straight forward, attach energy cards, attack, knock out certain amount of pokemon, etc. But Yu-Gi-Oh is more about strategy and anything can happen when playing. Competitively I go with Yu-Gi-Oh.
    Have you seen the tournaments/played competitively? You make it seem like the Pokecom TCG takes no skill. I advise you look at the things they pull off, and then say Pokemon doesn't take a lot of strategy.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Oh snap! Look at you making threads in the wrong places.

Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokémon are anime. Anime is from Japan. Right above Other Entertainment is a forum called Japanese Entertainment.

Forbidden1

csgo
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2020
    yu gi oh. pokemon are for little LITTLE kids/teens. YGO is for little kids/teens~adults
    yu gi oh actually has more violence than pokemon, and in my opinion, yu gi oh is more serious than pokemon, which is mostly about throwing balls.........with animals and whatnot inside.

~Trebuh~

Jiggles, The legendary fairy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Yu-gi-Oh for me.
    Anything Can happen,It takes a lot of strategy to win the game.
    HANDS DOWN TO YU-GI-OH
    Go EXODIA!!

Jaegir

Yes
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2015
    Magic: The Gathering.
    /thread

EDIT: Not dissing Yugioh or Pokemon:TCG

Last edited:

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Magic: The Gathering.
    /thread

EDIT: Not dissing Yugioh or Pokemon:TCG

this

Pokemon, by far. YuGiOh has become such a chaotic, unbalanced card game with turn 3 wins left and right and just bleeding power creep cards (Blackwings are a good example), and if you have the right deck you win with no skill involved whatsoever.

With Pokemon, you have to attach the correct Energy to the right team member and know what it is you're doing, what each of your team members are doing and when they are doing it. (You also can't win on turn 3...Last I checked, you needed 6 Prizes to win.)

Therefore, because it's far more skill-intensive and calculated, I like Pokemon better than YuGiOh.

There is a bit of bias because I can't stand how unbalanced YuGiOh has become since I quit playing it and started playing Magic, but honestly, when it comes down to it, Pokemon probably has a healthier metagame overall.

UraharaSteph

Science Has Never Been So Sexy
    Years
    I never played the Pokemon TCG but I did play the Yu-Gi-Oh one.
    I think it has more attention and it's a lot more competitive. At least, in this day an age. I see a lot of adults playing it as well and they get really into the game and it makes tournaments SCARY!

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I play both of yu-gi-oh cards and Pokemon, I'm gonna say yu-gi-oh! cards are more of a competitive play because I find it easier to play and make up a new strategy every time.
    Plus, I got so confused when I first played Pokemon TCG.
    I think it has more attention and it's a lot more competitive. At least, in this day an age. I see a lot of adults playing it as well and they get really into the game and it makes tournaments SCARY!

Agreed U_U when I get my yu-gi-oh world magazine sometimes I see pics of adults playing and Man are they tough!.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Well to me I would rather prefer yugioh to pokemon. The first time I tried the pokemon tcg I had no clue what I was doing and I even bothered going online to watch a video demonstration of how its played but I think that made it worse xD. Yugioh is pretty simple to pick up especially if you watch the anime and the wide array of cards make it pretty fun too. I agree with some the metagame is now a little broken aka lightsworns and blackwings but to me that makes me want to try harder to win. In all I would rather stick with yugioh and playing the pokemon games than touch the tcg

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    I say Yu-gi-oh. Pokemon TCG is just way too complicated for me but i'm pretty good at yu-gi-oh as i understand what the card does. :3

piece of something

not what you're thinking
    Years
    never been bothered to play the pokemon card game so my opinion probably doesn't mean much...but yugioh's pretty fun when you got good opponents to play against, and being all about card games and all, i'd expect yugioh to be the better equipped card game

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Yu Gi Oh, because it's full of ridiculous loop holes and rules, so many that you could never prepare for all of them.

There are 493 Pokémon, even less if you only talk about competitive OU environment.

I don't even want to know how many thousands of Yu Gi Oh Cards there are.

Yu Gi Oh is more competative just through the sheer ridiculosity of all the rules and abilities and spells and traps etc. That's right ridiculosity. It's so ridiculous it gets a ridiculously made up word to describe it!

Mayfan24

Pokemon Trader
    Years
    Yu Gi Oh, because it's full of ridiculous loop holes and rules, so many that you could never prepare for all of them.

There are 493 Pokémon, even less if you only talk about competitive OU environment.

I don't even want to know how many thousands of Yu Gi Oh Cards there are.

Yu Gi Oh is more competative just through the sheer ridiculosity of all the rules and abilities and spells and traps etc. That's right ridiculosity. It's so ridiculous it gets a ridiculously made up word to describe it!

i agree with every word of this, I've played both, made decks for both, and I can honestly say that the Pokemon card game is so much easier, and is easier to make decks for.

Years
    I have to disagree with the general consensus of the thread because of the fact that Yu-Gi-Oh! never cycles out anything, and all of the ridiculously good cards are out of the monetary reach of those just getting started on the game, whereas with Pokemon, it's far easier price wise to get the game's better cards (probably because Nintendo's deliberately flooding the market with League promos, but still), and the game itself is easy to learn but difficult to reach a master level.

(You also can't win on turn 3...Last I checked, you needed 6 Prizes to win.)
    You can win turn 3 if your opponent has issues getting basics or cards that bring up basics.

Plenty of adults play the Pokemon TCG, too. :\

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Yugioh has no strategy anymore, 99% of ALL duelists use the same Meta decks, so everytime you go to a tourney youll run into:
    at least 3 Lightsworn Decks,
    several Elemental& Destiny Hero decks,
    half a dozen Black Feather/Wing decks,
    several Gladiator Beast decks,
    a BILLION twilight decks,
    a couple Monarch decks,
    1 or 2 hopeless dragon decks,
    a cat synchro deck,
    the latest zombie deck,
    the list goes on.

I lvoe the yugioh TCG/OCG dont get me wrong, but tournaments have become the same old repetitive BS to the point were its boring.
    If you think Im wrong go to a tourney and watch: Lightsworns, Heroes, Kitty Synchro, Gladiators,black feathers/wings & Hopeless Dragons go at it with "real" strategy
    (its not real strategy, cuz the deck was built by someone else, and most of them use archetypes which have the strategy written out for them)
    ------------------
    Pokemon is less complex, and has no archetypes which gives it a more strategic edge nowadays (back when yugioh was at its prime it surpassed pokemon) cuz people have to design their own deck (unlike yugioh where people just run to Pojo forums& copy each other)
    -------
    in the end im a duelist, ill stick to yugioh (especially since Synchros RULE!) but i might get back into pokemon if they stop with the lame lv.X, & all that other BS
    :4:

123BOOM

Lilith|Samael|Lucifer
    Years
    pokemon is ok, yugioh was good until they screwed it up with synchros and whatnot. I don't play much now, just collect cards.

Back