• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Class System

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Now then, I'm making this thread all about the 'class system' in Video Games. That includes the Job System mechanics on certain games:

The Class System

So, a typical class system in video games is where you see a bunch of units having specific abilities, or maybe wielding specific weapons. The best part is that there are many, many class systems, typically on video games that provide them (ie. Fire Emblem, Disagea) where you can mostly use the classes or jobs that you prefer, and switch up your play style by using different class titles! For example, Fire Emblem has Thief, Warrior, Mercanary, Mage, and so on.

Ah, but of course, this isn't just restricted to Fire Emblem, so, all of that being said, what are your favourite type of units in video games that provide these class systems? How do they serve you in combat, or general strategy? Feel free to share any other thoughts, and discuss ideas for strategies!

Years
  • While I wouldn't call such systems hindrances, I tend to ignore the majority of classes, opting generally for black/red/white mages and basic sword-fighters. That much works, and I'm not given to incorporate, say, dragoons or time mages if I don't have to, especially because you typically have to train with each job class for a while, gaining EXP with it, for it to actually be useful, which is a disincentive I think should be done away with.

I also find equipment systems annoying and over-complicating. I'd rather focus on strategy within each battle.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I love games with class systems, and it's a big thing that drew me to Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy V, and Final Fantasy XIV. Fire Emblem as well, and really I think this extends to other RPGs depending on their execution. I've always considered that sort of customization to be attractive in games, and it's probably the thing that I liked most about V and Tactics. Personalizing characters in a non-aesthetic sense turned out to be fun on its own, but I think the real draw- in all of the games I mentioned- is that you can take properties of one class and apply them to others. I've found that alone to be addictive, and it added quite literally hundreds upon hundreds of ways to customize characters beyond simple equipment and stats. Tactics ramped this up to eleven by creating classes that were accessed solely by the combination of classes, which could also use the properties of other classes to make them even MORE unique. That type of system has always resonated with me, and I'd like to see it in more games.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Dragon Quest IX had some great classes that really helped. Final Fantasy has always had really well created classes, I love the design of them but you know, Final Fantasy.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I prefer classes only in Tactical RPGs. I hated them in early Final Fantasies or typical Turn-Based RPGs. I usually stalk up on Mages, Warriors/Knights, Clerics/White Mages. I tend to stay away from the more nitpicky classes like Time Mages and Summoners.

TY

The only game i played that had classes so far were the Borderlands series. I always tried out all the classes but i usually sticked with the one with the ammo regeneration or the Siren. I was done way too fast with the Assassin class, simply cause i sucked at sniping in that game xD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I don't mind classes but since I always go for Mage, I don't think I can compare =D
    It gives the game interesting aspect, I believe.
    They should only be put into the game where it fits, though.

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
    Years
  • I like class systems because they are the balance of the game where one class is weak and strong against others. I usually go for the Mage class or magic-using equivalent, because I'm not a melee-styled gamer. That being said, if I'm in FPS games with classes, I always play as the Assassin/Rogue/stealth class (like Spy in TF2).

As for how class systems are designed, I suppose I have no gripes with the number of classes, but too many can be confusing and messy and too little can be boring and restrictive.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Sometimes a class system is great (like in Fire Emblem). Sometimes its not (like in PSO). Sometimes it gives me mixed feelings (like in Disgaea).

In Fire Emblem, it works well because you need a varied army in order to succeed. An army of all mages or all myrmidons won't get far. It'd also be really boring to have a mono unit type army. And its fun to switch classes in Awakening.

In Phantasy Star Online, it didn't work so well because of some balance issues (not to mention the dreadful drop rates for good weapons/armor). In that game mages (specifically the FOnewm and FOnewearl) were better than anything else, for 2 reasons: 1) nearly infinite healing spells, and 2) its a lot easier, up to a certain point, to damage enemies with magic than with blades or guns. Poor android characters don't get to use magic, so its hard to do **** with them in Ultimate mode. The only thing preventing mages from being almost invincible is the really high elemental resistances of Ultimate mode enemies, and the fact that Difluids only restore 350 TP each. I could probably talk about this game for hours, I both love it and hate it, and sometimes I think it makes me think I'm slightly masochistic.

In Disgaea, the generic classes are good to have during the main storyline when you aren't given a lot of unique story characters to use. It's then in the post-game that they become obsolete. Why use a Warrior when Laharl and Valvatorez completely outperform them? Why bother with other Healers when Flonne is much more durable and can use spells a bit better? So most of the generic classes aren't worth using. Most of them get used as fodder for throwing people around or to steal their evilities. The exceptions are the Masked Hero, Cliones Sea Angels, Martial Artists, and Mages. The first 3 are used for various purposes: Masked Hero is for quickly clearing Item World floors, Sea Angels for stat buffing/EXP boosting, and Martial Artists for weapon mastery leveling. Mages (**** Skulls) are the only good generics for battle, imo. Because good magic users are always a good thing to have.

This was another public service announcement rant by Zekrom. Have a nice day.

Years
  • Whenever I play video games, I never focus on strategy. I just bulldoze my way through by level grinding to the point where my characters are over levelled and everything becomes too easy XD My all-time favourite class is the mage! :D Black or white mage, either one, but I have a slight preference for the latter :P In the case of Final Fantasy X-2 though, I wasn't a big fan of constantly switching classes for strategy. I only switched classes to learn all the abilities because of my completionist mentality.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I enjoy the class system, it makes games a lot more in depth and in certain games leaves you needing to really think about who you uses, first to come to my mind is Bravely Default where I always took into account what sort of boss I was up against and picked classes how I saw fit to go against them.

Disgaea also has a really good class system that I love playing around with and needing certain classes at certain levels to unlock other classes was always a fun addition.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • I always enjoy class systems in games. To me, it adds more replay value.

The classes I use really depends on the game. I usually prefer fast units over heavily armored ones and magic users.

The reason why I usually don't like magic is because mages are quite vulnerable once they run out of their arcane powers. I also don't like heavy units because they tend to be slower, even though they can take lots of hits. I just dont like to get hit at all. XD

For some reason, I really enjoy using ranged weapons. In Etrian Odyssey III, rifle-wielding buccaneers and arbalists are must haves on my team.

Skyrim offered IMO one of the best class/skill systems. There aren't really classes in the game, and every skill is available to any character, but choosing in which of these you'll specialize will give you the freedom to pretty much create your own classes. My main character is a sneaking and thieving archer, for example.

In Fire Emblem, a mage isn't bound to his pool of mana, making them a lot more interesting to me. Though I never really paid much attention to classes in FE, I just trained every character who I thought was cool and wasn't pre-promoted.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I like class systems in my games, it adds a sense of variety for your characters. I like to experiment and come up with different team compositions, which is one of the big reasons why I love the class system.

FFV is my most favourite version of the class system, just due to the fact that you can have the special ability of the current class you're in and also have a secondary ability from another class.
    In Fire Emblem, it works well because you need a varied army in order to succeed. An army of all mages or all myrmidons won't get far. It'd also be really boring to have a mono unit type army. And its fun to switch classes in Awakening.
    Just a few months ago, I actually saw a video of someone beating Apotheosis Secret Route, with literally an army of sages LOL.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • FFV is my most favourite version of the class system, just due to the fact that you can have the special ability of the current class you're in and also have a secondary ability from another class.
    That's not exclusive to FFV, you can also do that in FFTA/FFTA2, but you're right, it is a wonderful mechanic. =)

Reactions: Arc

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Just a few months ago, I actually saw a video of someone beating Apotheosis Secret Route, with literally an army of sages LOL.

lol, really? XD

That guy must've grinded his units to the max, gave them all great skills, paired them all up, gave them forged weapons, and had a good strategy.

But I was sorta speaking generally about Fire Emblem.

Reactions: Arc

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • For Final Fantasy XIII and its sequel, I preferred being the Commando. I disliked tanking hits or boosting the party's stats. Mage was powerful, but highly susceptible to any incoming attack. Saboteur was necessary to weaken the enemy's stats, but I wouldn't like playing that style forever. I just liked attacking with a sword or lance/spear..

Sooo in Fire Emblem: Awakening, my unit specializes in strength over magic. However, I do quite like the speed and mobility of the Pegasus Knight / Dark Flier classes and the Bow Knight. They're especially fun when Galeforce activates upon killing an enemy and allows that specific character move around again. This is key to taking out an enemy nearby that's giving someone else a tough time. I don't like using the slower units, like Knights. I've had little need to defend myself in Normal mode.

As for Borderlands and its sequel, I love playing as the Siren. She's the elemental powerhouse and can regain her health points too. My least favorite class would be the Sniper classes because I lack the patience to continue that effort.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I enjoy class systems because they balance these games out for the most part. In FE Awakening Hero was my favorite physical class and I thought that it was the best as well.

Back